• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

social test - Elephant in the room

TrentZor

Hypothetical Scenario (alot here had been in this situation im sure)

- Your invited to a BBQ at your partner/GF/wifes friends house and u do not know anybody there apart from the friend
- To make them happy u decided to go
- U wear shorts/singlet and flip flops (as the summer tradition)
- You turn up the the BBQ
- As u enter everybody stares at you
- U realize your the the most aesthetically pleasing person at the BBQ
- You realize the wives/girlfriends are staring at u through their sunnies and could burn a hole through your skull
- You realize the men have put up their macho defences and started putting our their chests and feeling their arms around u wanting to size up.
Its one of those "the awkward moment things"..

Mission here is to break the ice and you have to do it...

How would u go about this?

- This happens a fair bit to myself.
- Alot of the time i just walk up to people and introduce myself as blah blah blah.
- Alot of non-trained people look and feel threatened by your presence. Some feel insecure and realize they should have went to the gym more. Its not your fault but thats the way society is. Superficial judging.

/discuss

I normally just walk straight over to the BBQ, grab the vegetable oil they're using, take off my shorts and singlet so I'm just in my posing trunks. Once adequately dressed I rub myself with the vegetable oil so I have the nice sheen. Once everyone has their eyes locked on me I get on the floor and do the dinosaur.

just social observation pistachio.. no ego intended.. :D
Most know im a straight forward guy. I say it like i see it.
People mistrue if for ego.. Like when a chick walks in with big tits and ass..
Does ANYbody want to go and chat with her if shes standing by herself?
The guys with wives partners wont nor will the women.
U get branded as soon as u walk in..

This is a room of people whom have never met u before.

just social observation pistachio.. no ego intended.. :D

Dude, you are pretty much saying the elephant in the room is that you are better looking then everyone else and they are all jealous of you.

Firstly, how do you know? You could just be seeing what you want to see.

Secondly, if you consider it an issue, have you considered covering up? Its like the girls who have massive tits and complain about guys checking them out all the time, but they are always wearing push up bras and really low cut tops...

Thirdly, I actually can't say I've ever experienced what you mentioned. And I have some very nerdy hobbies where none of the people who attend have even HEARD of a gym lol. But I've never felt better than anyone else there or felt awkward about having a better body. And I've never sensed any animosity from the guys there. Sure the girls check you out a bit, but I don't see any problem with that.

Maybe its an age thing

I think its not a jeleaous thing.. Its just your "seen" as not being approachable to break the ice with.
Most of the time i usually break the ice with people especially if its a younger crowd. The older crowd are over the looks and usually shake hands and see past the facade.

Why should u go and cover up when everybody else isnt?
So u should wear a long sleeve shirt just because some people dont feel as ease with u around?

Whats that dave schappel saying..

"just because im dressed like a cop. Does it make me a cop" :D
same goes for scantilly dresses women?

I think its not a jeleaous thing.. Its just your "seen" as not being approachable to break the ice with.

Why should u go and cover up when everybody else isnt?
So u should wear a long sleeve shirt just because some people dont feel as ease with u around?

Like I said, I've never experienced that at all. And I attend some VERY nerdy functions where nobody has ever stepped foot in a gym... I'm not seen as less approachable because I put some effort into my body.

No, not because other people aren't at ease. But because YOU aren't at ease at their unease. If it bothers you (that it bothers them), then cover up, because they aren't going to change.

Its the exact same thing as the girl with her tits on display. Guys aren't going to stop looking, so if you don't want them to look, cover up. Don't expect all other people to change for you. You can't control other peoples reactions, but you can limit what reactions they might have

No, not because other people aren't at ease. But because YOU aren't at ease at their unease. If it bothers you (that it bothers them), then cover up, because they aren't going to change.

Its the exact same thing as the girl with her tits on display. Guys aren't going to stop looking, so if you don't want them to look, cover up. Don't expect all other people to change for you. You can't control other peoples reactions, but you can limit what reactions they might have

Great answer pistachio. :)
When its with my mates whom i know its fine. Most work out. Its just with strangers that u get it and its easier to just cover up.

When you are at a function with a small group of people and a woman/man enters the group , who has a much more desirable figure/build/hair/dress etc than yourself, it tends to make you bloody uncomfortable and self concious .... What Ceffo is saying actually happens.....

I was never the nice looking one, I was the fat one in the group, and you would see the men/women adjust their stares and pull in their tummys when a far more better looking person entered the group....

haha interesting thread.. tbh i wouldnt expect that to happen so much now
.. soo many guys these days are pretty fit and work out and are probs also on the juice. I thought this would make the stares less frequent to muscly guys in general because they might not stand out as much? unless everyone else around is very average/unfit then yeah you'll stand out

I have a very fit workmate.. getting into TV presenting, has the looks,tan, total gym junkie and hes like 6'5 or something so he stands out..
whenever i go to lunch with him at a shopping centre, I cant ignore how many peoples heads turn to look at him.. the only other time ive noticed this was with a reallllllllly attractive female friend i have.. ( semi glad im not super hot.. dont think i could deal with the stares)

lol he totes knows how many people stare at him and he loves it, so i know its not all in his head. some women with their poor husbands obliviously turn around and check him out!!! Makes me lol
once we even had some jailbait looking girls follow us ( him) to the carpark.. i think they wanted his number.. he said it happens alot.. and even in clubs girls will actually come upto him and say " i wanna suck your ****"
sick

hey guys, is it big in here, or is it just me? :D

(its on some guys shirts that he sells... forget his name though...)

hey guys, is it big in here, or is it just me? :D

(its on some guys shirts that he sells... forget his name though...)
lol if the space was big that would imply you were small as you take up less room
but nonetheless funny tshirt