• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Calories and healing process

kal-el

Just wondering if anyone has come across any research that shows whether or not a calorie deficit can effect healing time/process.

I tore a muscle in my shoulder/back and have re injured it twice since, its starting to get frustrating I was in a major calorie deficit when it happened and have been in a minor deficit/close to maintenance since it happened.

I dont want to go eating a surplus and put back on the body fat I lost, if its not going to help.

Thanks.

This had been discussed on a week or 2 ago and best to be eating at maintanence or a slight surplus. A deficit is not suggested to a down regulation of hormones and the potential for downgrade in protein synthesis.

Was it in the injuries section? I did a search and only found one about body weight training.

I pretty much thought what you just mentioned, I guess I was hoping for a different answer though. I will try and stay at maint or slightly above.

Max I have another question if you come back and read this. I used a metabolic cart at Uni to test my RMR I tested it a couple of months ago and my RMR was just over 2100 cals, I re tested it about a week ago and it came out to 1700cals.

The only differences between the two is that the first time I did 10x100m sprints the day before and the second time I had lots about 3kg of LBM and hadnt trained for about 3 weeks due to my injury. I had a bodpod scan done thats how I know I lost 3kg of LBM in the time I wasnt training. All other conditions were the same time, fasted etc.

Any idea on why the big drop? as far as Im aware muscle doesnt affect metabolism that much and you always read about how exercise doesnt burn many extra calories so Id think 500 would be fairly large debt 16hrs after sprinting.

No problem at all that you couldn't find it. Not an issue :)

When you take into account the extra LBM as well as the variables like EE (energy expenditure) is increased for the 24 hrs following exercise, protein synthesis is increased for 24-48 hours post exercise and NEAT etc it does add up.

Also think about it, when you calculate your BMR it is normally a low number but once you add in activity factors into the equation it does have quite a big jump :)

Effect of exercise intensity on 24-h energy e... [J Appl Physiol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Enhanced amino acid sensitivity of myofibrillar prote... [J Nutr. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
Thats a good point, I expected some difference but I guess just not that much. It would have been good to just see the effects of exercise, its unfortunate that I got injured.

Im actually doing another test tomorrow, as the last one I seemed to be over breathing and my RER was .91 and at times jumped up over 1.0 at rest which well shouldnt happen.

Ill see how it turns out tomorrow, thanks for info.

Don't always trust the readings to be exactly the same especially when on an extended break as Maxie boy pointed out. You were obviously downgrading the food intake over the 3 weeks too which would not help your metabolic rate.

And no more talking about met carts and RER on the forums I feel like I am back in the lab at uni. Next we will be talking about blood lactate levels, ECG analysis and bring out the old useless RPE scale.

Don't always trust the readings to be exactly the same especially when on an extended break as Maxie boy pointed out. You were obviously downgrading the food intake over the 3 weeks too which would not help your metabolic rate.

And no more talking about met carts and RER on the forums I feel like I am back in the lab at uni. Next we will be talking about blood lactate levels, ECG analysis and bring out the old useless RPE scale.

Oh shiiii, you just brought back some memories there, Dave. Which Uni, mate?

This! and no next week there will be no talk of that shit, my head is already hurting at the thought of it.

Just wondering if anyone has come across any research that shows whether or not a calorie deficit can effect healing time/process.

I tore a muscle in my shoulder/back and have re injured it twice since, its starting to get frustrating I was in a major calorie deficit when it happened and have been in a minor deficit/close to maintenance since it happened.

I dont want to go eating a surplus and put back on the body fat I lost, if its not going to help.

Thanks.

I would think that calories matter but it would depend on the nutrients you are getting aswell..obviously protein but also vitamins ...the body doesnt recognise how many calories you are taking in just the nutrients it is getting so aslong as this is optimal i dont think calorie intake would need to increase. having said that increasing nutrients generally goes hand in hand with increasing calories. Supplementing with vitamin C for example would probably help your cause but wouldnt necessarily increase calories.

Finally a good topic in a sea of bullshit top of the week rubbish!

From what I've read/learnt reduced cals generally means reduced rate of recovery, but in my limited experience on two seperate prolonged cuts over 2 years, last year doing a split and this year doing full body 4x p/w, last year I was sore and experienced DOMS, this year on full body I'm recovering better and still making gradual progression on strength.

Doesn't mean anything, my DEXA scan will reveal more re: muscle preservation on the two, still, quality of life is better.