• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dodgy bench-mods =)

oldcorollas

重量上げしね&#
/prepares to be ridiculed

I got a shitbench from gumtree (free with 170kg weights) and it was pretty shit.
58cm high, 25cm wide . it wobbled.. a lot...my shoulders were falling off.. the "adjustable" angle mechanisms were.. continuously adjusting themselves. I needed milo tins under my feet... (edit: I had screwdrivers wedged in to reduce the wobble...)
the pulldown thingy, preacher pad, leg extension and flappy arm things got binned.
I couldn't bring myself to try and ebay it..

I wanted a flat solid bench, 300mm wide, and uprights closer to proper bar width. (for the meantime while I don't have space for a rack)
I cut 14cm out of the height, and 14cm out of the length, then added those bits to the "adjustable" width parts.

now it is 42cm high, 30cm wide. uprights are 110cm to inside (bit skinnier than rack), and a hell of a lot more solid. welds are now 360deg instead of "occasional"

black stuff is "formply" .. quite solid and double layer. some hard plasticcy finish on it. still need foam and vinyl to cover it.

it is only temporary, but not bad for a days cutting and welding :D

before
Rimg9427.jpg

cut into bits and ready to weld
Rimg9447.jpg

looks slightly better now..
Rimg9449.jpg

Rimg9451.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome, ghetto bench for the win. You may as well turn it into a rack. Hell, just build an all-out ghetto-Gold's.

Nice work, the problem is the thin gauge metal used in a lot of these.

I have an 'old school' Samson bench that I love, heaps strong heavy gauge BHP steel, cost about $120, will last me the rest of my life and I am sure my son will get good use out of it as well.

100_6336.jpg

with those welding skills I'd build an rogue combo rack :p

Fixed. Sorry, I'm a rogue fanboy.

Edit: If the OP is really limited on space, he should be trying to get as much as he can out of each piece of equipment. http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-yoke.php He can use the top as a pullup bar, squat/bench with it, use it as a prowler, sled, yoke or zurcher. Also, judging by his fabrication skills in this thread, he could mock up something like this himself. And if it's good he can do me one ;)

Last edited:
nice work, looks fkn ace compared to what you started with and should serve your immediate goals well.

i love handy people, they don't like it, they just cut it up and rework it.