• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Measuring Body Fat percentage

Kabooby

I was wondering how the majority of you measure your body fat percentage.

I have a huge variance on the methods I have used and would like to know what method is the best.

I measure 28% on my home scales, 21% on the gym scales and between 17% and 18% on several of the online pinch and BMI methods.

Cheers
Kabooby :)

DEXA is probably the only accurate one (even then tho, I don't know if its spot on).

It depends on what you want it for tho, if you only want to monitor your fat levels, then any method will do, just see if it is going up or down.

Ie If you skin folds are getting smaller on the calipers, you are losing bf. If you scales are constantly going down, you are losing bf etc.

Do not use BMI tho, ever.

The main reason is to make sure I am loosing body fat while still maintaining as much muscle as possible. It is also nice to know where you're at. I have already lost 12kg which I am sure was mostly fat. I now want to drop body fat without dropping to much more weight.

When my previous goal was to drop fat and weight it was easy to measure by just jumping on the scales. My weight loss has stopped due to change in training and diet so I wanted to check progress by Body fat%

what is the home scale? It actually measures your bodyfat (obviously wrong), but it could be a good tool to see if its going up or down.

Its a Propert 3042. Cant remember where we got it from, prob big W.

It tells me weight, fat%, water% Muscle% and daily calorie intake.

I will post up actual figures tonight when I get home.

There weird because they have an athlete mode. If I use the athlete mode it drops my BF% down to 13%

Why do you want a percentage? A photo every month tells a better story and a look in the mirror lets you know if you have more fat to lose.

what is the home scale? It actually measures your bodyfat (obviously wrong), but it could be a good tool to see if its going up or down.

They are pieces of shit, just like a set of normal scales with little electrodes were your feet go. So inaccurate, not worth worrying about. They won't tell you if your bf is going up or down.

Why do you want a percentage? A photo every month tells a better story and a look in the mirror lets you know if you have more fat to lose.

Its just on the nice to know list I guess. Its easy to track weight. Now I am not tracking weight loss any more its nice to have something concrete to monitor.

Figures the scales gave me tonight

BF 29%
Water 51%
Muscle 42%
Calorie intake 2824

Not sure if the other figures are correct but I am pretty sure I am not 29% BF

Dexa scan - I had a pinch test done in August and it told me I was 23% then had a Dexa done in September and it told me I was 28%. Was so bummed after this.

They are pieces of shit, just like a set of normal scales with little electrodes were your feet go. So inaccurate, not worth worrying about. They won't tell you if your bf is going up or down.

ah dammit, i was excited for a second, sounded to good to be true.

Dexa scan - I had a pinch test done in August and it told me I was 23% then had a Dexa done in September and it told me I was 28%. Was so bummed after this.

No need to feel bummed I reckon. I'm thinking of getting a Dexa scan, and don't expect to get a great result. I'll use it as motivation to improve.

Figures the scales gave me tonight

BF 29%
Water 51%
Muscle 42%
Calorie intake 2824

Not sure if the other figures are correct but I am pretty sure I am not 29% BF

Mate a whole you is 100%, so the total should not go over 100%.

Yours add up to 122%:confused:

My understanding is that water makes up part of the muscle and the fat percentages. So I don't think you get a perfect 100%

Kabooby :)