• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Buying Bench + Weights + Stand first time

mathoes

Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying the following items:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Olympic-...1?pt=AU_Strength_Training&hash=item2308244981
115kg Olympic Barbell Set - Hammer tone
Flat Bench
SST2 Adjustable Width Squat Barbell Rack with Dip handles

I'm a beginner to weight lifting
I plan to begin the Starting Strength program

It seems to me that this is everything that I need for doing this.
My questions are;

am i buying the right stuff?

should i go for an incline/decline bench?

is 115kg weights enough for a beginner?

should I order off Gym Direct without inspecting the product in person?

Many thanks for your replies,

Sam.

That stuff looks the goods to get you started. How big are you? if you're a bigger guy then the 115kg may not last you all that long - you may be deadlifting considerably more than that within a few months so the next pack up may be worthwhile.

also, get the heavy duty bar upgrade and maybe see if you can change the breakdown of the weights - if you only have a single bar then i don't quite see why you would need 4x 1.25kg, 4x 2.5 and 4x 5, (pairs of everything is fine and then just buy more 20s as you need more total weight) but maybe that's just me.

assuming you work out alone, i would consider a power rack over the squat rack. i have one of these and it's awesome: MMPR Power Rack I guess that depends on how far you can stretch the budget...

pretty well what he said^^^^^,If you have the room you should spend the extra couple of $$$ and get a power rack, in the long run it will be far more beneficial, the amount of weight you need all depends on what you can lift, you will prob need more for deadlifts pretty quick, but everything else should be fine,

Thanks for the feedback guys

will be re-thinking my options

power rack - definately logical idea, worth it in the long run

more weights - considering my size is a must - im roughly 102kg just under 6ft tall

probably look at 215kg Olympic Barbell Set_ Hammer Tone

budget can definately stretch.

also, do you guys think the flat bench is a suitable option? - i dont plan on doing anything fancy, atleast for 6 months+

Yep, same as above get the rack for the extra few $$$, I originally bought stands and then bought rack about 3 months later, so save buying the rack later and spending money twice get it first up. re the bench I only use a flat bench, as that's all I have, but it's up to you, I do not miss doing inclines and declines, if you have the extra $$ get the adjustable bench.

115kg will be outgrown pretty quick on the strength program, so get a few extra 20kg plates or order a bigger package.

If I was starting over I would definitely get the rubber coated plates, especially for training at home, and get the best quality gear you can afford, it will last you a lifetime and your kids will be using it when they get old enough.

I bought a lot my gear when I was 17-19. now 43 and still using it, my son is nearly old enough to use it, and may be his kids will still be using the same gear in the future, quality is worth it every time IMO:)

Last edited:
Mate you will have the perfect set up IMO.

I would buy the exact same stuff you are looking at if I was starting over, I would say go for it!!!

Perfect :)

You wont regret buying that rack, I have it and love it. I do have an incline bench but in the two years I have owned it, it has never been in the incline position so flat is all you need.

I also started off with the 137.5 kit. A lot of people will say to get x2 of each an then just buy 20's for more weight but I have since gone the other way and purchased more 5's and 10's. I did this because it is much easier finely tune your warm up sets when you have a lot of the smaller weights, just keep adding them on till you are doing your work sets. Where I find if you only have a few smaller plates and lots of 20's, you warm up using the smaller plates, then have to unload them, load 20's and then load more smaller plates to get the desired resistance. Hope that makes sence!

The only other piece you may need is an olympic weight tree, mine started their life on the floor and I got bored of that real quick!

After reading your helpful replies and spending way too much time searching these forums and Gym equipment, Fitness Equipment, Exercise equipment, Weight Training Equipment i've come up with my order.

Just wanted to post it here to see what you guys think:

MMPR Power Rack
FLAT BENCH
RUBBER GYM FLOORING 1m x 1m
137.5KG Olympic Barbell set (Rubber) >upgrading bar to: 600kg rated thrust barbell

Thanks again,

Sam

If it is possible look at getting commercial version of that rack. It is a lot better.

If it is possible look at getting commercial version of that rack. It is a lot better.

I have had a look at it, although the price and space were issues.

As a beginner I think this MMPR will last me very long.

Also - Eagle, yeah makes sense. See how I go with the plates, and the weight tree definitely something to consider for my next order :D.

Thanks everyone for positive feedback. The order was placed today hopefully get it all in a week or two, keen to get started.