• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training Girlfriend

Sydking

Ive read a couple Treads on this here, and i know some people advise not training with a GF ect and leave it to the pros But i love having a traning parter and she enjoys it more then PT, Ive got her fitter then her old PT ever could in half the time.

Now just some backgroud info,

I started her of with the C25k Program. For those that havent heard of it its a 9 week running program that build up the stamina to hit 5k at the end.

We did this for 6 weeks and things were going good till we stopped, Fitness Increased so much but nothing in RE to weight loss.

Now last 2 weeks ive got her doing the Begginer lifter program with me

Squats, Bench, milatarty press, Deads, Curls

Ive also read that this is OK for females to do, Great for build a base.

Ive clean up her diet and Dont let her stray to much, But its not easy being hard on the ones you love.

I really dont know what else to do,

She complains about sore legs and shins when running so it makes it hard, She hates running but unless she finds somethiens else there is no option,

Would she be better of one one of those p90x things?

Main goal is weight loss.

Mabey the girls on here could help me out :) Cheers all

Do heavy weights, none of this 'toning' or 'girls do high reps' shit, and follow the program as it is set out.

No need for running and/or cardio unless to allow for more food consumption.

Running doesn't make you lose fat/weight, being in a CALORIE DEFICIT does.

Unless you know what her calorie requirements are and she is consuming the appropriate calorie intake, weight loss/fat loss will not occur.

FYI, my wife and I train together. We do the exact same routine and rep ranges (Yes she does HEAVY lifts). She used to be a Runner but has only been weight training for the past 1.5 years and she has not 'bulked up' but she has a fantastic shape and 'tone' :D

Last edited:
doing the calc for a females macros wont be any diff to the male methods??

Same protien requiremetns fat, and carbs ect?

whats the best way to work it out for her.

An easy place to start for calculating the ESTIMATED MAINTENANCE calorie requirements -

LBM: Body Weight Simulator

If weight loss is the goal, start off in a 15% calorie deficit from the above calculations.

Calorie intake should include the minimum requirements for

Protein requirements - 2g/kg
Fat requirements - 0.85g/kg

I started off 82kgs and lost 25kgs in a year.
Macros 1200, carb 50g Fat 50g protein 100g
I did 2 heavy weight training days a week, and 2 cardio days a week at fatburn rate. But walked every other day. My cardio workouts were crossfit based. Box jumps, kettlebells, burpees, short bursts of high intensity and included weights to break it up.
Was very strict with my macros and counted everything.
Heavy weights training was split with an Upper body compound workout, and lower body compound workout.

I started off 82kgs and lost 25kgs in a year.
Macros 1200, carb 50g Fat 50g protein 100g
I did 2 heavy weight training days a week, and 2 cardio days a week at fatburn rate. But walked every other day. My cardio workouts were crossfit based. Box jumps, kettlebells, burpees, short bursts of high intensity and included weights to break it up.
Was very strict with my macros and counted everything.
Heavy weights training was split with an Upper body compound workout, and lower body compound workout.

your macros seem outa whack,

That would = 1050 cals??

1g c = 4cal
1g p = 4cal
1g f = 9cal

Great job tho none the less.

I had her cals at 1200, But now will make sure she hits the macros.

Her protien intake would be no were near enough.

your macros seem outa whack,

That would = 1050 cals??

1g c = 4cal
1g p = 4cal
1g f = 9cal

Great job tho none the less.

I had her cals at 1200, But now will make sure she hits the macros.

Her protein intake would be no were near enough.
Sorry, I leave a tolerance for vegetables as I dont normally count veges into my macros, but have them at lunch and dinner, this encourages me to eat more of them!

I lift with my gf. really have to be careful with her form because she's a pussy and she says everything hurts (like everything) so it's really difficult to tell if she's complaining because she's soft or because there's actually something wrong...

also, she psyches herself out really easily so she needs a lot of talking up to get things done. she did 1 deadlift at 55kg the other day and then managed to talk her self out of the 2nd and then struggled to finish a set at 50 :/ she'll do 55 no problems next time she lifts and is in a good mood.

you all brave

everytime I try it i get...

you are picking on me

I know..

just let me do it...my way.

I dont want to lift that

blah blah blah,

lifes so much easier without her training with me...

I was gobsmacked recently when my wife said she might be interested in starting a weights program. She's showed no interest at all since I've been into training, but now there's a glimmer of hope. She's still a bit half-assed about it, she's worried I'll turn into a Coach-Nazi and hound her.

I think weight training is starting more and more to enter mainstream fitness culture. I was watching the Today show a couple of weeks back and they had some clue-less older lady come on and preach some general fitness tips. You could tell she wasn't an authority on what she was preaching, but her general message was 'these days they say weight training is the ideal approach'.

I think more and more people are cottoning on to weight training, and my wife probably read it somewhere, and that's why she's finally relented.

I lift with my gf. really have to be careful with her form because she's a pussy and she says everything hurts (like everything) so it's really difficult to tell if she's complaining because she's soft or because there's actually something wrong...

also, she psyches herself out really easily so she needs a lot of talking up to get things done. she did 1 deadlift at 55kg the other day and then managed to talk her self out of the 2nd and then struggled to finish a set at 50 :/ she'll do 55 no problems next time she lifts and is in a good mood.

HAHAH your not wrong, Every time we go for a jog, Its owww my legs hurt, My shins hurts, My veins hurt. SRS if you going to stop everytime there is some pain its noever going to get better, Being female is no excuse.

Tho i dont want to push her if they are a bad type of hurting but come on, We took baby steps from day one and started running 30 sec on then 2 min off, ANd gradually increased each week.

Surley some sort of conditioning has been done.

i must admit i do love the alone time and clear mind training alone.

Not weights as much but cardio is my little thinking time

you all brave

everytime I try it i get...

you are picking on me

I know..

just let me do it...my way.

I dont want to lift that

blah blah blah,

lifes so much easier without her training with me...
^^^^^^^^this!

Not worth the hassel, I enjoy my gym time and trainig time, so I don't want her involved, she does her own thing and I do not interfere any more, as I used to get the above.

i wouldnt as its a conflict of interest.. If you do your very brave.
Ive trained several girls to lose from 5-20kg. But its a totally different world when its your missus/partner.

You cannot "put" on your coach/trainer face and have them do what you have set out for them as they will think your being harsh on them.
You will also find them trying to sneak in a small chocolate or icecream at night and when busted give you the dont be mad at me look and try to get away with it.

Ive trained several girls to lose from 5-20kg. But its a totally different world when its your missus/partner.

You cannot "put" on your coach/trainer face and have them do what you have set out for them as they will think your being harsh on them.
You will also find them trying to sneak in a small chocolate or icecream at night and when busted give you the dont be mad at me look and try to get away with it.

That would be when you are returning home with your family meal from Maccas all for your self yes?

My wife wants me to train her but she says I am mean. I would also have issues watching her do SLDL etc.

That would be when you are returning home with your family meal from Maccas all for your self yes?

My wife wants me to train her but she says I am mean. I would also have issues watching her do SLDL etc.

Its hard for them to eat meat and veges when your there with your family meal deal and large sundae.. (btw u seem to mention maccas everytime in on a cut dave.. damn u!! LOL)

LOL SLDL.. And baby this is how u bend over and pick up the bar .. now poke your ass out a bit..

moooore

mooore

just a biut more

ok yeah thats the spot.. Fits just right..

W T F!

conflict of interest at its worst!!

Last edited:

TBH i have no issue being a prick when the time is right, If someone (she) can motivate her self and train alone then i would have no issue.

But unless i push and motivate nothing it going to happen what so ever.