• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Little Bloke vs Gym vs Iron Edge Direct Plates

Of those 3, I like the Gym Direct weights...however I'd change to rubber coated plates. Less noisy and less chance of scratching other stuff in your gym.

If i had to choose between those 3 i would go with the "Gym Direct" set. How ever i would definately suggest you check out the 200kg olympic rubber coated set from worldfitness.

200kg Rubber Olympic Tri-Grip Barbell Set

Sorry if i seem like a world fitness salesman but i think they have some quality products at decent prices.....

The only issue with Worldfitness sets is they have not quite right combos for plates -

ideally you would want the following:

2 x 1.25kg
2 x 2.5kg
2 x 5kg
2 x 10kg
4,6,8,10 x 20kg
and as many pairs of 20kg you need to make the weight you need

yeah world fitness ones dont have 1.25kg which you will use a lot. i like the the iron edge ones but im a bit of an iron edge man. having said that though i have a set of gym direct ones in rubber coated and are probably the best as far as value for money goes.

The only issue with Worldfitness sets is they have not quite right combos for plates -

ideally you would want the following:

2 x 1.25kg
2 x 2.5kg
2 x 5kg
2 x 10kg
4,6,8,10 x 20kg
and as many pairs of 20kg you need to make the weight you need

That is true if you don't ask them to change the configuration. I bought a 170kg package and it had:
4 - 2.5
4 - 5kg
6 - 10kg
4 - 20kg

Im thinking about picking up 2 - 25kg plates soon as the only thing i've found wrong with the 20kgs is there abit too small in the height. Actually it doesn't matter too much i guess.

Edit - I lied, thought i did have 1.25kg oly plates... I've got 2 x 250 grams, 2 x 500 grams, 2 x 750grams and 2 - 1kg oly micro plates though...

Last edited:
If you're not competing it doesn't matter. you can always get a couple of rubber mats or pieces of timber to get the right height anyway if you're pedantic about it.

lol you and your Ivanko

It's true though.

As far as I am aware both brands are calibrated to IPF standards, standard size etc
Ivanko is just $2-3 cheaper per kilo than Eleiko, and you can get chrome plates and 50kg plates which you can't with Eleiko ;)

:p

It's true though.

As far as I am aware both brands are calibrated to IPF standards, standard size etc
Ivanko is just $2-3 cheaper per kilo than Eleiko, and you can get chrome plates and 50kg plates which you can't with Eleiko ;)

25kg is a manageable weight to lift to the bar, 50kg for 1 plate is a bit extreme. lol guess it comes down to what u want it to look like. are Ivanko's as thin as Eleiko's though?

also sorry to clog up ur thread with talk about Ivanko vs Eleiko

Dunno about the thickness.

If there is a different I doubt it would be much.

I think the 10s,5s etc on Ivankos are smaller diameter though

Dunno about the thickness.

If there is a different I doubt it would be much.

I think the 10s,5s etc on Ivankos are smaller diameter though
if they are smaller in diameter, they will be thicker, and there is your $2-$3 difference per Kg lol

It's true though.

What is the price of the eleiko and ivankos per kg??

also just metal plates are less then bumpers, i checked out uesakas prices on bumpers and the are pushing 300 for a single 25