• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

burning shoulders during bench/press

milketc

Hey,

For the last 1-2 weeks my shoulder's have started burning during/after bench press, military press and dumbbell military press. It slightly hurts during lat pull downs after approx 4-5reps and occasionally i feel slight pain during one handed dumbbell rows. I guess ill go to a physio/chiro sigh.. The pain is felt in/near the joint. Also i occasionally get an aching sensation in my shoulder(s) randomly.

My thoughts are that it could be related to my upper back, my back feels really tight and grabby between my shoulder blades and my neck burns sometimes when sitting at the computer. Also could be due to not pushing my shoulders together tight enough during bench press.

Also, it could be due to a change of routine which has more upper body work as I'm avoiding squats/deads/bent barbell rows for a while.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Hmmm, its a weird one, maybe it is as you said, an emphasis on upper body work. Maybe you need to do some stretches before you start your workout, do you have a good warm up before lifting and a light stretch? it may help if you don't already do it.
Also, do you pyramid up in weights before you do your work sets? I do this now as before I was going straight to work sets after my initial warm up and done an injury in my lower back.

Is their a reason your avoiding the above squats/deads/rows?
I can't squat at the moment because I've fuuurked my knee, but I can still dead and row. I would suggest you put them back in your routine if you are not injured as they are the mass builders, especially squats and deads.
Hope you work it out mate, friggen sux arse having an basted injury or niggly proplem.

Get it checked. More than likely it is occurring due to a postural abnormality in your upper back. Getting your scapula stabilised and moving correctly is the first step in having healthy shoulders.

There could be many other reasons for your issues so get it checked out.

Hmmm, its a weird one, maybe it is as you said, an emphasis on upper body work. Maybe you need to do some stretches before you start your workout, do you have a good warm up before lifting and a light stretch? it may help if you don't already do it.
Also, do you pyramid up in weights before you do your work sets? I do this now as before I was going straight to work sets after my initial warm up and done an injury in my lower back.

Is their a reason your avoiding the above squats/deads/rows?
I can't squat at the moment because I've fuuurked my knee, but I can still dead and row. I would suggest you put them back in your routine if you are not injured as they are the mass builders, especially squats and deads.
Hope you work it out mate, friggen sux arse having an basted injury or niggly proplem.

As a warm up I usually just do 5mins of bike, then for each exercise i gradually increase weight... I was under the impression that its better to just stretch post-workout.

Bench:
30kg*8, 40kg*5, 50kg*3, 60kg*3, 65kg*3, 70kg*2, then work set around 75-77.5kg 3*8.

Overhead press:
30kg*8, 35kg*5, 40kg*3, 45kg*2, 47.5kg(3*8) working set.

The reason I haven't been doing squats and deadlifts lately is due to my lower back being not quite right lately and have been hoping that a rest from them might fix it.. actually I havent really done deadlifts for a long time due to a weak lower back. I have seen a chiropractor a lot about my lower back and every time he makes a minor adjustment and says my back is quite good. Also have a dodgy left knee which I managed to twist snowboarding.

The main reason for not doing deadlifts was due to a forearm injury which I got jan/feb this year and it only recently healed. While i had my forearm injury i was only doing bench/squat/press at the gym. Although for for a significant period I wasnt working out as I fractured my wrist and had it in a cast for over 2 months from march-april and then i went to america for a month june-july. Now that i think about it, this seems like it may be the cause... mainly working out the front half of my body and no back exercises :/

Last edited:
Well you got decent reasons for not hitting the deads etc.

On the stretch front, I also thought that stretching was only good for after the workout, but I done allot of internets research (LOL, here comes the broscience) and found info on it being good for you pre-workout as well. I added it in and to tell you the truth I think there is something to it, I feel stronger, more agile and better prepared for the session by doing a pre-stretch. Its worth a try mate, and good luck with the injuries.

Static stretching inhibits muscular contraction. Dynamic stretching (not holding it amd working through range of motion) doesn't. Dynamic mobility work before and static stretching after.

You need to stop doing anything for two weeks would be a start.

I have a friend who would spend a lot of time on the elliptical stepper and some time on weight; barbell curls, shoulder press, and that's about it really.

I warned against this

One year later this bloke cannot move his arm he is so much pain.

If you keep doing what you're doing you'll keep getting what your getting.