• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

physio says stop overhead - weights guys say stop bench (shoulder problems)

weightlifter

hi guys. just wondering about this shoulder impingement/tendonitis/nothing wrong problem ive been having with my shoulder for years.when i do bench with a little weight my right shoulder pops or clicks sorta thing at the bottom of the movement. ive been to physio couple of years ago and they said to not do overhead lifts for a while. but when i ask on here or other weightlifter guys they say do more overhead and no bench to fix it.

i have to do high reps of bench (20-25) and medium of overhead press (15) or anymore weight gets the popping happening. its been plauging me for about 4 years atleast and i never really get into it coz after a couple of weeks the silly shoulder thing starts happening and clicks even with no weight.

im not sure what aggrevates it. overhead or bench. il be experimenting over the next couple of weeks to figure it out and focus on strenghening the rotator cuff and surrounding muscles.

can one of the smart guys reccomend me what to do for the next little bit please? im thinking just overhead press and no bench for 3 weeks with doing the rotator cuff internal and external band work atleast once a day but hopefully twice a day.

maybe that will even things up or something?

oh yeah. it doesnt cause any pain at all. have had it scanned last year and they said nothing was wrong :( so maybe just weak shoulder joint?

A lot of scapular retraction and depression work, high rep Pushups (elevated hands if needed), rotator cuff strengthening, shoulder mobility work, massage and self massage, thoracic spine mobility work.

First point of call, is it an impingement or tendonitis?

Was there any one event that caused the problems or have they come on over time?

If it is an inpingement most of the research points towards S&C rehab & Cortisols.

My final question would be, have you had a coach look at your Bench & OHP, (or do you have video?) I know from a 2500 word report I wrote this year, I could have summed it up in 5 words "Learn how to fucking Bench"

Knowing nothing about you or you history of weight training experience all I can say is; the pops and clicks are more often than not just tendons moving over joints, if there is no pain you don not have anything to worry about.

There is a lot going on in the shoulder, your goal is complete shoulder strength integrity, work on that, more pulling than pushing.

already been said here, scapular mobility, looselats, pecs, strong external rotators. Find an ART (Active Release Technique) practitioner close to you and book a few sessions, i have recently just recovered from shoulder impingement to the point where i couldnt press at all and 6 weeks later im slowly building back up to heavy bench.

edit: work on your lower traps too! you might be upper trap dominant.

I hurt my shoulder a tiny bit about 6 weeks ago and was told I hurt my AC joint, type 1. It starting clicking - no pain at all ( apart from first 3 days RICE )
Anyway 6th week of rest and half assed attempt at rehabbing it. It's still clicking exactly the same.

A lot of scapular retraction and depression work, high rep Pushups (elevated hands if needed), rotator cuff strengthening, shoulder mobility work, massage and self massage, thoracic spine mobility work.

I'm gunna focus on this, rest doesn't seem to be doing shit and physio was incredibly vague about rehab exercise's.

Soz to rant/offtopic

Last edited: