• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need some equipment

0ni

Registered Rustler
Ok, so I've been a very good boy at work and have earned myself a $500 bonus (woo yay).

I'd like to spend it on some gym equipment but don't know which shops are good. I'd rather buy Australian than get it from Amazon but don't mind going to Amazon for some of the harder items.

Preferably, I will be able to buy and use vouchers for these shops. This is for tax purposes. I really don't want the government to rob 50% of my bonus in tax, however if my work gives me vouchers... no tax!

Anyway, I need the following items:

13mm leather belt
Wrist wraps
Knee wraps
Adidas Powerlift trainer
Chuck Taylor Lo-tops (black canvas)
~1lb of gym chalk in blocks

And then whatever's left over I'll probably buy some adjustable dumbbells + small plates, a dumbbell bench or anything suitable for a home garage gym.

Cheers

Hmmm..... Not sure why you need a 13mm belt, or wrist/knee wraps tbh.

BUT if your going to get them, undergroundelite.com.au will be the place to look.

Nick is a top guy and will sort you out.

Dont agree lol. Id rather knee wraps for training then wrist wraps, but neither at Oni's level.

Also Oni, If you go a belt, invest in a lever belt. They are the best.

Are we talking about the same type of wrist wraps?

If I don't wear them my wrists feel like they're going to snap with anything more than about 30kg benching, and 60kg squatting

I was thinking about competing in the future, but it's mainly for support and safety on 1RMs. They only cost $20 so I'm comfortable buying some even if I only use them once or twice a year. My gym has all this equipment and I have used them but at the moment I only use a belt. Just wanted to invest for the future really

I will check out Nick's site and ask him if he will be willing for my work to buy a few vouchers from him that I can use

Also what size belt should I buy? You said you don't see why I would need a 13mm belt, I was under the impression that they offered more support than the narrower ones? I just need a belt that will be good for squatting, deadlifting and benching really

Greyballs - Well............. You know what I'd say about that lol..

Tara benched 70kg, in a comp. No wrist wraps.

Oni- a 10mm powerlifting lever belt will be fine. Ive squatted 230kg with mine, and it offers great support!

I don't get the big deal. I can still bench/squat the same amount without them.

I just prefer my wrists not to ache afterwards.

It's basically the same as you wearing knee sleeves

*edit*
unless there was sarcasm in your post . . .
damn interwebs!

Last edited:
i got a 10mm lever belt from titan, love it. i havent had any trouble with any titan equipment, wraps, sleeves etc.

Also what size belt should I buy? You said you don't see why I would need a 13mm belt, I was under the impression that they offered more support than the narrower ones? I just need a belt that will be good for squatting, deadlifting and benching really

epic

I don't get the big deal. I can still bench/squat the same amount without them.

I just prefer my wrists not to ache afterwards.

It's basically the same as you wearing knee sleeves

But I can squat 210kg with out my sleeves, with no pain.
If you get wrist pain at 30kg, something is amiss. It should be corrected, not fixed with a band-aid...

But I can squat 210kg with out my sleeves, with no pain.
If you get wrist pain at 30kg, something is amiss. It should be corrected, not fixed with a band-aid...
the pain is simply from being used to the wraps, for example b4 i had wraps i could bench and squat without any pain, when i started using wraps and then had to bench and squat without them, i got pains, its simply from ur body getting used to the extra support.

Thanks for the info. Also there is nothing wrong with using a belt for bench press 1RMs, or for any of the big lifts

Oni I'm curious as to how you expect the belt to help during your bench press

the pain is simply from being used to the wraps, for example b4 i had wraps i could bench and squat without any pain, when i started using wraps and then had to bench and squat without them, i got pains, its simply from ur body getting used to the extra support.

I've had the wrist pain from long before I started using wraps (which was only the start of the year). It has nothing to do with losing the extra support.
I know it's from my hand rolling back, I just haven't worked out a way of stopping yet without the using of wraps (and even with those my hand still rolls back)

I've had the wrist pain from long before I started using wraps (which was only the start of the year). It has nothing to do with losing the extra support.
I know it's from my hand rolling back, I just haven't worked out a way of stopping yet without the using of wraps (and even with those my hand still rolls back)
ah ok u have existing pain, mines just from being soft :p

Wendler says in his 5/3/1 book that you can get benefit from using a belt on max effort bench presses

bumglar - you can build and use intra-abdominal pressure for bench the same way as for squats, and can get better transference of power from the leg drive to the bar :)

as to how much it helps.... nfi

@ONI - the diameter (13mm, 10mm) refers to the thickness of the leather :) they both should be 100mm wide.

I use 10mm, and I have heard that the 13mm are a shit load more uncomfortable and take a lot longer to break in.

Adidas powerlift trainers: http://ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/15196-looking-buying-some-oly-shoes.html
One of the members got it and reckons it ain't worth it. The sole is compressible foam, so if you can squat a decent amount it will compress, which kinda defeats the purpose of weightlifting shoes (ignoring the raised heel). I got mine from Underground Elite and they are worth every penny

Last edited: