• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weird knee pain

Rambodian

No I'm not cambodian
I got this weird pain in my right knee just above the knee cap, its like the tendon is sore there or something. I done front squats today and had no pain until about 3-4 hrs after my workout, the weird thing is that its not sore all the time, only when I am in squat like position (getting up from sitting etc) and flex my legs to get up etc. Other than that its not sore at all, but when it does hurt, holy friggen f#@K%n HELL, its like my tendon is gonna snap from my knee cap, bloody weird too, as I only done very light front squats today as I have been feeling a little run down from working weird hrs, still getting use to it.

Anyone ever had anything like this before?

i reckon from incorrect form.

My knee is getting worse after adding machine hack squats, so im dropping all movements that force your knee in one direction and going for natural movements.

Its funny you say that because I tried a narrower stance today, I also wore a pair of dunlop vollies instead of my regular doo-wins. I was reading somewhere that a narrower stance hits the quads more when squatting, and as I was going lighter because i am feeling a bit run down, I thought I'd try it. Maybe this was enough to do the damage.
What exercises are more natural than the squat? What did you have in mind?, you have intrigued me.
I just hope it goes away soon, I don't want to miss my leg training but this is gonna side line me a bit dammit.

Could be from anything. Did you knock your knee, have you had a previous knee injury, how is your form, what other exercises do you do.

Most likely it is a muscular strain near the tendon but i also don't know the exact.position of the pain.

Give it some rest and see how it goes. Ice it take, some ibuprofen and elevate your leg. If it still hurts see a doc.

Rambodian, do you warm up and/or stretch prior to exercise? The 5-10 minutes you spend warming up goes a long way towards preventing injury, particularly with your joints.

Nope no previous injuries on my knees, my squat form is usually pretty good, I have had allot of help off some pretty experienced lifters to get it better, but i am still learning, certainly no expert on it and I do tend to lean forward sometimes a bit when I go heavy, but i only front squatted 60kg today for 3x8, so I'm a bit surprised I hurt myself to be honest. The only exercises I did for legs today were front squats and SLDLs. I did go for a really long mountain bike ride last Saturday, that's the only different thing I have added to my training, the mountain bike riding.
I don't know how I've bloody done this, but I think your right Dave, rest, ice, and ibuprofen if it gets to sore. I won't go to the docs just yet, but will if it doesn't feel a little better by Saturday.
If you got a 20c piece and put it above your knee cap (patella i think its called) so the edge of the coin was touching the knee cap, that's where its sore.

@ Nobull: yeh I did a 10min warm up on the treadmill, and i always do some light stretching before I work out.

Stretch your quads for a minute a night before you sleep.

Some degree of knee pain is a given with lifting heavy weights even those with superlative form (olympic lifters who wrap one knee and therefore obviously have a unilateral problem indicative of injury).

Its funny you say that because I tried a narrower stance today, I also wore a pair of dunlop vollies instead of my regular doo-wins. I was reading somewhere that a narrower stance hits the quads more when squatting, and as I was going lighter because i am feeling a bit run down, I thought I'd try it. Maybe this was enough to do the damage.
What exercises are more natural than the squat? What did you have in mind?, you have intrigued me.
I just hope it goes away soon, I don't want to miss my leg training but this is gonna side line me a bit dammit.

i meant the hack squat machine sorry not the squat. My apologies i thought you werent talking about knee pain from the squat.

@Prison Mike: Shit mate, that article sounds pretty close to what I got, frig I hope its not bad and stops me for ages. Thanks for the replies guys.

man that article got me scared when it says it can take years to heal.......fuuuurk!
Well, I'm gonna stay positive and work around it as best I can, and hope its not a severe case.
Frig I hate night shift, LOL....to anyone who looks at the time of my post.

I got this weird pain in my right knee just above the knee cap, its like the tendon is sore there or something. I done front squats today and had no pain until about 3-4 hrs after my workout, the weird thing is that its not sore all the time, only when I am in squat like position (getting up from sitting etc) and flex my legs to get up etc. Other than that its not sore at all, but when it does hurt, holy friggen f#@K%n HELL, its like my tendon is gonna snap from my knee cap, bloody weird too, as I only done very light front squats today as I have been feeling a little run down from working weird hrs, still getting use to it.

Anyone ever had anything like this before?

I don't think i have had that feeling, though every so often i'll step up onto a normal step during anytime of the day and it feels as though my whole knee cap is being crunched up into my quad, a really really bad feeling. This only happens very rarely and totally out of nowhere. I take it as the human body mate, its constantly changing, your never going to get everything right you know what i mean, thats life mate, unfortunately.

going for natural movements.

All i do for upper legs now is lunges, you'd be surprised how well lunges work the legs, they are an excellent exercise.

A narrower stance will hit the inner quads more, especially the tear drop.

Lunges are a thousand times more natural than squats. I could list so many reasons why lunges benefit you more than squats. Lunges are a natural movement and they also incorporate the hip and lower back into the movement.

Squats put un-natural pressure on the lower back and spine, its just not natural. People don't walk around sqauting things all day do they, whereas lunges are a much more versatile movement that can be incorporated into everyday life.

Are you kidding juice junky? When the hell has man ever done lunges to feed or protect itself?

You squat as soon as your born. In Asia they squat all day in the fields picking produce. Man squatted around the camp fire waiting for dinner to cook, and will naturally squat down as a fight or flight response.

you said the pain is above your knee cap? that article is on the patella, which is the pain i get under my knee cap during squats, also painful when i get up from sitting down etc, if its under your knee cap will be the same thing as me can use thin tape firmly over it not tight, and use knee wraps and it will lessen the stress by far

@ae86: yeh its basically above the knee cap itself, like directly above, as if it is the tendon that is attached there or something, it was feeling a little better today but I was mucking around with my wife and went to pick her up and flared it back up again. It only hurts when my leg is in a bent position, as if I was about half way through a squat, but it doesn't hurt at all to just walk around, its weird. I could probably do partial squats as it doesn't hurt till about half way, but I have to see if that changes with weight added.
What do you guys think? should I just do some light partial squats to sort of help the healing along, like a kind of rehab movement? or should I just rest it and not work legs for a while?

The tendon attaches to the top of the patella. It sounds like a tendon tear as your pain comes when the knee extensors are stretched and subsequently the patella tendon is stretched. No loaded movement until you can do full range BW squats and then slowly work up to your old squat numbers starting with just the bar (work it each day). If the pain comes back frequently at higher loads you need more direct rehab. Ice your knee after squatting to reduce inflammation (ibuprofen too if needed).

Are you kidding juice junky? When the hell has man ever done lunges to feed or protect itself?

You squat as soon as your born. In Asia they squat all day in the fields picking produce. Man squatted around the camp fire waiting for dinner to cook, and will naturally squat down as a fight or flight response.

No not kidding at all. Lunges are completely natural, we do semi-lunges when we walk, and when we sprint we lunge a little bit further. Man and all animals combined take off best in the "Lunge" position.

Who cares what they do in Asia, this is Australia moite, you want to live Asian style then go over there.

Nothing wrong with lunges, nothing wrong with squats, both differing exercise that you cannot compare.

The unilateral movement can be an advantage in certain situations, hammer strength make a very nice leg press, the movement enables one to add substantial load to the thigh without place too much emphasis on the hip.

Hammer strength have also designed a ground based dead-lift which also enables one to perform a heavy lunge, safely.

Dumbbell lunge is also useful to a point, one is treading on dangerous ground if one performs lunges with a bar.
It's important to make sure that the leading or extended legs bares the weight, hard to maintain balance, when you are holding a bar on the shoulders.

Any squatty movement is going to create shear force at the knee if you squat anything below 100 degree angle of the thigh, any where between 110 and 130 is ideal.

More emphasis/ increasing emphasis is being placed on the glutes, hammies and friends from 100 degree to 150 degree, between 130 and 150 the glutes, lumber/back and hammies are doing the work, the quads are not active at this point.