• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tuff As Strongman Comp 17/9/11

NAPARM

Big Strongman comp on this Saturday if any of you are keen to check it out, will be one of the best comps Brisbane has seen. I'll be competing in the Open division.

Tuff As Work Wear Proudly presents the:

TUFF AS STRONGMAN CHALLENGE QLD
17th September 2011

Venue
Redlands Multi Sports Complex
Cnr Randall & Bailey Rd, BIRKDALE, QLD, 4159
Date
Saturday 17th September 2011

Classes
105’s
OPENS
PRO AM
There will be 30 positions available between the 3 Divisions, (i.e. 10x 105, 12x OPENS and 10x PRO AM) competitors will be allocated on a first in best dressed system.

Events
Farmers + Tyre Flip Medley
20m distance for each apparatus, the farmers apparatus is to be dropped past the finish line before the competitor can commence the tyre flip section of the medley, the tyre must be flipped a total of 7 times. If the competitor is unable to complete the course within 75 seconds the score will be determined by the number of flips that were completed. Points will only be awarded once the farmers section of the event is completed. Weightlifting belts and chalk are allowed for this event.

Weights
105’s
Farmers walk 90kgs Tyre flip 20.5 R25 (220kgs)
OPENS
Farmers walk 110kgs Tyre flip 20.5 R25 (220kgs)
PRO AM
Farmers walk 130kgs Tyre flip 20.5 R25 (220kgs)

Truck Pull
20m distance competitors must pull the front wheels of the truck over the line within a time frame of 75 seconds, if they are unable to complete the course on the sound of the whistle @ 75 seconds the driver will apply the brakes and the distance will be measured. Competitors will be wearing a proper truck pulling harness and will also have a thick rope to pull with.

Weights
105’s
Truck weight 7 Tonne
OPENS
Truck weight 10 Tonne
PRO AM
Truck weight 17 Tonne

Overhead medley
This event will consist of a single lift of each apparatus within the 75 second time frame, the competitor will wait for the whistle indicating “good lift” before controlling the decent of the apparatus to waist height. The 4 apparatus will be Log, 2” axel with car tyres, heavy keg and a single dumbbell press that can be performed by either arm. This event will be scored by time if the competitor is unable to complete all apparatus it will then come down to the time of which the last apparatus was successfully lifted. Competitors will be penalized 5 seconds if the apparatus is not controlled to waist height on its decent (this will be up to the head judge on the day) Weightlifting belts and chalk will be allowed for this event.

Weights
105’s
10” Log 70kgs 2” axel 85kgs Single Db 40kgs Keg 50kgs
OPENS
10” Log 85kgs 2” axel 105kgs Single Db 55kgs Keg 60kgs
PRO AM
10” Log 120kgs 2” axel 140kgs Single Db 70kgs Keg 70kgs

Car Deadlift Hold
This is a not a grip event it is designed to put you core strength and stabilizers to the ultimate test the competitor will be counted in to lift the vehicle to lockout then the timer will start. The competitor must lift the apparatus to lockout for points to be awarded. Straps are allowed for this event, Weightlifting belts and chalk are also permitted.

Weights
105’s
Vehicle TBA (*Suzuki Swift)
OPEN
Vehicle 06 Ford Focus
PRO AM
Vehicle 08 Toyota Camry

Stone Series
This event requires the competitor to load 5 different weight stones onto different height platforms. The competitor must start with the lightest stone with a time frame of 75 seconds to load all 5 stones, the competitor must load the first stone to be awarded points, if the athlete is unable to load all 5 stones in the required time frame the time of the last successfully loaded stone will be recorded.

Weights
105’s
Stones/ height 75kgs/1.4M 92kgs/1.4M 104kgs/1.2M 122kgs/1.2M 135kgs/1.2M
OPEN
Stones/height 92kgs/1.4M 104kgs/1.4M 122kgs/1.2M 135kgs/1.2M 142kgs/1.2M
PRO AM
Stones/height 104kgs/1.4M 122kgs/1.4M 135kgs/1.2M 152kgs/1.2M 167kgs/1.2M

Scoring
Points will be awarded to competitors relevant to they‘re placing per event and will depend on how many competitors in each division if the competitor is unable to complete the minimum requirement outlined in the event description then they will be awarded 0 points for that event.
Any tie’s in individual events will have points split i.e. = 2nd will have 2nd and 3rd place points shared. I.e. 7 points + 6 points giving 6.5 points to each Competitor.

When a competitor wins an event he will be the last to compete in the following event, with the competitor who placed last going first. After the completion of the 4th event overall placing will decide the starting order of the Stone Series event with the overall highest placed competitors going last in his division.
In the event of an overall tie for placing regardless of first or last place the Athlete with the highest placing overall will win on count back i.e. if two Athletes place first on equal points the Athlete with the most first places wins, if no first places it will go to most second places and so on.

Wow the overheads are light in the 105's and opens. Opens shoud be more imbetween the 105's and ProAm so more like;

100kg log, 115kg axle, 60kg DB, 70kg Keg.

Wow the overheads are light in the 105's and opens. Opens shoud be more imbetween the 105's and ProAm so more like;

100kg log, 115kg axle, 60kg DB, 70kg Keg.

Yeah they are light, but then again there's not many good overhead guys around (you're an exception obviously). I was nearly going to do Pro/Am but I can't do the 140 axle. I'll probably be the lightest guy in the whole comp as usual haha

What would you say the average weight of competitors in 105s?

I'd love to do strongman at some point but I'm 30+kg off being at the top (weight wise) of 105s lol

*edit* and not very strong, though I think I could do 80% of the events listed

Yeah they are light, but then again there's not many good overhead guys around (you're an exception obviously). I was nearly going to do Pro/Am but I can't do the 140 axle. I'll probably be the lightest guy in the whole comp as usual haha

My aim is a 140 axle. I have push jerked it before but haven't got anything more than 125 up. It's the flip on the continental that I have issues with, hence all the axle c&P in my log now.

You are always the lightest guy, but I am getting close to you 96.5kg now!! Being light is a issue in the axle clean and press, not enough shelf to rest it on. Hahaha.

What would you say the average weight of competitors in 105s?

I'd love to do strongman at some point but I'm 30+kg off being at the top (weight wise) of 105s lol

*edit* and not very strong, though I think I could do 80% of the events listed

Mate most guys are right on 105 or just under, though having said that I compete at about 91kg (& I'm doing Opens at this comp). Bodyweight doesn't mean much long as you're strong enough.
There will be light novice comps in Brissy next year. Add Strongman Brisbane on Facebook if you're interested in getting into the sport.

My aim is a 140 axle. I have push jerked it before but haven't got anything more than 125 up. It's the flip on the continental that I have issues with, hence all the axle c&P in my log now.

You are always the lightest guy, but I am getting close to you 96.5kg now!! Being light is a issue in the axle clean and press, not enough shelf to rest it on. Hahaha.

Mate you're wasting your overhead power haha. I'm the opposite to you, I can clean easy but can't press to save my life.

Dam it, too far for me to drive :( Was keen to come have a look.

Which suburb you at mate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate you're wasting your overhead power haha. I'm the opposite to you, I can clean easy but can't press to save my life.

Mate your easy clean comes from being able to deadlift 300kg and load a 170kg stone. As for your press I reckon it has to be technique cause you benched 160kg right?? If you could push jerk then your overhead would explode!!
Then again I shouldn't tell you this so disregard anything that I have jsut said;)

Mate your easy clean comes from being able to deadlift 300kg and load a 170kg stone. As for your press I reckon it has to be technique cause you benched 160kg right?? If you could push jerk then your overhead would explode!!
Then again I shouldn't tell you this so disregard anything that I have jsut said;)

Yeah did 160kg back when I used to bench. My overhead technique does suck, I tried some Olypmic lifting coaching put didn't have the patience haha. Plus with my dodgy knee I never get full leg drive on my presses, but it's been feeling better lately so maybe my overheads will improve, don't think I'll ever catch you though!

Mate most guys are right on 105 or just under, though having said that I compete at about 91kg (& I'm doing Opens at this comp). Bodyweight doesn't mean much long as you're strong enough.
There will be light novice comps in Brissy next year. Add Strongman Brisbane on Facebook if you're interested in getting into the sport.

Cheers mate. Slowly putting on the kg's to get closer to 105..
At almost 6 foot shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Will add the page too.

Yeah did 160kg back when I used to bench. My overhead technique does suck, I tried some Olypmic lifting coaching put didn't have the patience haha. Plus with my dodgy knee I never get full leg drive on my presses, but it's been feeling better lately so maybe my overheads will improve, don't think I'll ever catch you though!

Is your knee the reason you deadlift with your back mainly??
I think I saw a video of you squatting 200?? Knee can't be that dodgy or was that before?

Is your knee the reason you deadlift with your back mainly??
I think I saw a video of you squatting 200?? Knee can't be that dodgy or was that before?

Nah deadlift that way because that's how I'm strongest :)
Had patella tendonitis for bout 10 months now, can squat fine (bit of pain for 2 days after) but push press stirs it up alot unfortunately.

Nah deadlift that way because that's how I'm strongest :)
Had patella tendonitis for bout 10 months now, can squat fine (bit of pain for 2 days after) but push press stirs it up alot unfortunately.

tendonitis yuck!!
Have had that in both biceps, hip flexors, and bursitis of the AC joint.
Rest is about all that fixes it.
Though I found heaps of fish oil (40mg a day in liquid form), and cissus quadrangulis helped a bit.