• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cheap Bench

Sydking

Ive picked up a new bench press cheap, $100 including barbell and 50kg of weights.

Now i dont see why these wouldnet be to bad, but would anyone have anything to say about using a cheap bench press, its a HPF pro.

Should do for now untill i get a bit more serious.

As long as it's safe, if its cheap and wobbly/unsteady ask yourself if it is it worth risking your life.

I have a cheap bench press, but it's made from steel, and safe as a rock, genuine Aussie made.:)

As long as it's safe, if its cheap and wobbly/unsteady ask yourself if it is it worth risking your life.

I have a cheap bench press, but it's made from steel, and safe as a rock, genuine Aussie made.:)

were did you pick yours up from mate?

This the one?

HPF PRO BENCH PRESS BARBELL WEIGHTS HOME GYM EXERCISE | eBay

I'd watch the weight capacity - 100kg is not a lot of weight to put on a bench. Particularly if it includes your body weight...

The barbell also looks like it's a hollow one so won't hold much more than your 50kg.

Good for beginning maybe, but as your lifts increase I'd suggest upgrading to something a bit more hardy....

haha thats the dodgy bugger just there, ive niped it all up nice and tight, WD40 on the moving parts ect, But yes the bar is a hollow clip together.

Im going to use my zig zag curl bar, its solid and does the job, i used to use it a few years back on my home made bench made form a old bench seat and carpet nailed on the top for padding, haha.

New bench will come once i get more serious,

My main aim is to see how it will aid weight loss after alot of reading ect. Im usually just a cardio and body weight guy throwen in with a decent diet,

Now diet is srtict 1400 to 1500 cal per day, cardio and now thrwoing in some basic weights. Been loving my weighted squats tho. I hold the bar at back not front. thers no problem with this form is there?

Last edited:
yeah, so long as you accept its limitations it will do you well for a little while. better to be lifting with something average than not lifting at all.

for what it's worth, i got a similar package from a friend for free and it was past it's useful life within about a month of "serious" lifting - the 2 piece bar doesn't really feel safe anymore and the bench is it's rated limit. I've retired it all for a nice olympic bar from the little guy, some olympic weights, a used squat rack and a used commercial bench. i'm glad i didn't spend money up front on the "cheap" gear, but i definitely wouldn't have been willing to invest the ~$750 on the gear i have now without some sort of inkling that i was really willing to keep at it. $100 in your case is probably $100 well spent because by the time you need more weight you'll know whether or not you can want to go on with it...

I would never use a hollow bar, a decent bar can be had for as little as $50, bought my Bech press from Samson Barbells in Sydney, company no longer exists, I think it was around $150-200 at the time.

Thats her there, solid as a rock have bench pressed over 100kg on it with nil issues, may be keep an eye on e bay for one to come up.

100_6336.jpg

love your set up mate, thats just what im after, nice and simple, but gets the job more then done. ill be keeping my eye out after this one turns to crap.

But for $100 im not fussed either way. if i get bored one day ill just get the welder out and work some magic haha. A new bar is def needed tho, i dont even want to put 20kg on that clip together hollow crap.might whak a steel rod in it so if it breaks it will have some sort of back up.

12 month warranty on it aswell.

Find a metal joint and get a 2m length of 48mm hollow steel then find some to weld a couple of small rings onto it for the collars.

Should be able to get all that, with knurling, for about $60 (the non knurled steel will cost ~$25)