• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Big Dumbbells

dandexter

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get some big dumbbells? I'm after either some big adjustable ones, that can hold up to at least 70kg (without using big plates). Or somewhere I can get large fixed dumbbells? I'd prefer the adjustable ones.

I'v found 60kg fixed dumbbells, but $180 each and i'm not convinced they won't last that long.

Thanks

You would probably be better off getting some steel and some sort of heavy cast iron or steel or someshit and attaching it ( i dont weld, im sure you could figure it out though).. not only would it be cheaper, a 70kg adjustable dumbbell would either be too long to have small enough plates (5kgs) or too wide (20kg).

Yeah this is what a 150kg would look like . . . lol

Dumbells_150kgdumbell.jpg

Thats just stupid..

Try and find some shit at a metal wreckers.. I am sure they would let you take it ( throw it over the fence one night )

Yeah making your own is cheap if you know how to (or have a friend handy with metal work) as the cost of the stuff you use is minimal. You can get 48mm steel for about $20 for a 2m length (enquired about a fat bar at a metal joint a while back). Having it knurled and/or put collars on it was going to cost all up around $60 so most of the cost is in the labour

FUCK I WISH I WAS IN VIC.. fuck that is bullshit. I would jump on heaps of that stuff

To make really big dumbells I get a piece of 25mm threaded rod, 4 x 25mm washers and some pipe for the handle. Put 4 washers on. One on each end of the pipe handle, then put the plates on, then a washer outside the plates both sides and a dirty big nyloc nut on each end. Cut off any excess thread with a grinder and sand it off a bit.

I used to have some really big silly buggers ones made of Samson 15 Lb plates :)

I forgot about this thread haha. I'll look into the ideas you guys mentioned. Still been keeping an eye out for good 2nd hand stuff near Brisbane, but no luck atm.

Thanks

Most are even worse then standard. Sleeves are no longer at best, plus a lot of olympic plates are either fatter or wider then standards.

Might be a silly suggestions but can you get skinner weights? That way you could fit more on a dumbbell.

Very expensive, but if things career wise pan out how I hope in the next 2 months, I might easy afford it.

Go rob UQ fitness centre.. they throw Ivanko and Eleiko 10kg plates around like pieces of shit.

You will have to battle past the carrot top children wearing stringers though.. shouldn't be a problem

Problem that's over an hour trip each way from my house, if not way more cause I have to use public transport :(