• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What age to leave home?

DKD

Private Dancer
When do you think grown children should leave the family home?

I left when I was 18 and turned out sensational, nuff said, but these days I read kids live with the oldies longer than previous generations. Price of property is a killer these days and no doubt a contributing factor.

I'd prob be ok with my kids hanging around until mid 20s as long as they were doing something productive with their life and had a plan for their future. But even if they had, I'd still want them out pretty much by then. I don't want a 30yo son living with me....make your own way FFS.

What say you?

Girls 25
Boys 22

What age are boys ready for marriage? 35~40 their gotta get out and do their stuff first, sow their wild oats through the week and pray for crop failure on Sunday.

Well you'd hope that your kids would have some responsibility by 21 and I think they should have the ability to live life on their own by then.

God knows my wife and I are trying to bring our kids up in the best possible way so they have the tools necessary to be able to start their own life by 21.

18 would be a good age, but I understand that the cost of living would make it difficult for a 18 year old to move out of home for the most part. Certainly financially as well as mentally by 21 they should be better 'equipped' to handle the world.

And I certainly wouldn't be wanting to bring girlfriends back to 'home' when I was over 18, so I'd hope they think the same LOL

Last edited:
My gf lived at home til she was 23. Which is a good thing because she was able to save 10% for a house deposit.

Stay at home til their mentally and financially ready to leave.

I left at 18, so did my wife but kids these days are staying home longer than my generation did. My wife's younger brother is still at home at 24, he has a fiance and she is still with her parents, come to think of it all of there mates are still at home as well. They all have brand new cars so I doubt they are saving for a house of their own, they seem scared of commitment really I think the younger ones. I want my kids out by 21, no later (hopefully) as I have serious mid life purchases to make by then, namely a Harley Davidson, a sports car, Hmmmm a world trip LOL.

Max if your kids goto uni goodluck getting them to move out by 21. Average degree is 3-4 years, throw in a deferment or a holiday and they will be hanging on until 23-24

SCREW LEAVING HOME!!!! stay and save up and set up a really good gym, then move into it and sleep on ur benchs ;)

Max if your kids goto uni goodluck getting them to move out by 21. Average degree is 3-4 years, throw in a deferment or a holiday and they will be hanging on until 23-24

Yep, this is what I meant when i said in op that mid 20s would be max for my kids.....I was basing it on going to uni until 22-23 and then give them time to find a job afterwards and save for a while.

If they didn't go to uni I might very well want them out a few years earlier....maybe 21-22.

My wife has a different attitude....she NEVER wants them to leave lol...

Upto about the mid twenties would ok. But, I would certainly like them to contribute so they learn some responsibility and not get the shock of their lives when they go out on their own.

i left at 27. If i could go back in time I would have spent from 18-19 saving as much money as I could then i would have bought a cheap ass unit and moved out strait away.

Oh yes absolutely agree with that for the university :) I will make that exception :D

I guess I was looking at it from the point of view that they had full-time employment from leaving high school, there should be no need to stay at home past 21.

Though, many of my classmates left home and moved cities to go to Uni. They had to get jobs etc and it was a struggle but they made it through and it build a little character LOL So I can appreciate that cost of living is on the increase and being at 'home' during Uni would be less stressful etc.

Last edited:
Lol I don't know about building character from moving out. Left to their own devices most young people are irresponsible. Get a share house with druggies and do pingers on the weekends.

Get a share house with druggies and do pingers on the weekends.
That equals character building :D

Plus there are other area's other than Logan and the Valley that have houses for rent LOL. Maybe I've still got a little bit of that country mentality in me (after 11 years in the 'big smoke' LOL) ;)

Last edited:
This is an interesting one.

I am turning 25 next week and am still living at home.

BUT

- I pay board (and have since I was 15)
- I am studying full time, while working full time.
- Don't bring girls home etc (ie don't disrespect my parents rules), I just go to their places instead ;)

Plus I am barely there anyway, maybe an hour or two a day tops.

That said, I still want to move out, and have for quite some time. It just isn't viable time-wise with work/study etc. But I REALLY want to get out before I turn 26, cos that means I will be late 20's and still living at home....

I moved out at 21ish after working full time (didnt go to uni), industry sucks so im heading back to uni next year hopefully to study at 24. Probably will move back home as I dont fancy working 25-38 hours a week + full time uni and be strugging to pay bills and such. Dont want to move home as I enjoy the freedom but I think it would be best. Work, gym, study and travel (parents live an hour/100k from the city) I guess I wont be home that much except for sunday's and sleeping.