• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Clicking shoulder with slight stiffness

TheWolff

I've been training for about four months now. Last Friday I was benching and noticed that my left shoulder clicked at the bottom of each rep. I rested over the weekend and noticed it was still clicking on Monday.
I trained legs on Monday and have just minimized any strain on my shoulder.

I'm not suffering any pain but it feels slightly stiff. there's a little bit of soreness in the rear of my shoulder but it's very slight. I don't know that I'd even describe it as being sore save for lack of a better word. I'm very... Aware of the existence of my rear delt.

I figure it's probably a slight rotator cuff tear. Anybody else had this and confirm and how should I deal with it? Just take a few days off and let it recover?

If you think it's your rotator cuffs, drop everything that has internal rotation of the humerus (squats, bench, press, chins etc) and strengthen your external rotators with 3x10 cable external rotations. Start with the lightest weight and use a 2020 tempo. If anything you do clicks or hurts, stop doing it

Worked out tonight after taking five days off. Everything seemed ok, no clicking, no soreness. Proceeding cautiously.

If you think it's your rotator cuffs, drop everything that has internal rotation of the humerus (squats, bench, press, chins etc) and strengthen your external rotators with 3x10 cable external rotations. Start with the lightest weight and use a 2020 tempo. If anything you do clicks or hurts, stop doing it

No. For one it is not that major by the sounds of it so no need to drop everything. Secondly just adding in external rotations is a terrible idea. People with rotator cuff issues have to work on scapular stabilization and that means a lot more muscles need work. The serratus anterior, mid, lower and upper traps need to function correctly, rhomboids and then the supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor and subscapularis. The lats and teres major should need soft tissue work and stretching as well as the Pec minor (especially) and Pec major.

And that is just the start, without a proper assessment.

If something clicks that is never an issue UNLESS it clicks AND hurts at the same time. Don't give rehab advice unless you know what is going on and then only if the issue is completely certain. Telling him to stop if it hurts and go see a physio would be the best advice you could give him.

No. For one it is not that major by the sounds of it so no need to drop everything. Secondly just adding in external rotations is a terrible idea. People with rotator cuff issues have to work on scapular stabilization and that means a lot more muscles need work. The serratus anterior, mid, lower and upper traps need to function correctly, rhomboids and then the supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor and subscapularis. The lats and teres major should need soft tissue work and stretching as well as the Pec minor (especially) and Pec major.

And that is just the start, without a proper assessment.

If something clicks that is never an issue UNLESS it clicks AND hurts at the same time. Don't give rehab advice unless you know what is going on and then only if the issue is completely certain. Telling him to stop if it hurts and go see a physio would be the best advice you could give him.

Ah ok, I did say not to do something if it hurt but I was always told to strengthen the rotator cuffs when they are injured! Do you know any books on this topic? I have a book called "rotator cuff relief" that I haven't read yet, is it any good?

A good start to get a general idea and good exercises would be Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey articles. Next step a thorough understanding of functional anatomy.