• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best form of shipping to move gym equipment interstate??

stripedTuna

Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone knew:

1. whether a courier can move a large amount of gym equipment from one state to another? (like for example 500kg total consisting of a commercial rack, bars, plates and bench?
  2. if anyone has had this done, which courier do you recommend and how do you go about getting a quote to get the ball rolling?
  3. Lastly, if not a courier, is there any other good value options? I think removalists would cost a fair bit but haven't checked..
I know gym equipment shops send similar amounts of goods for under $250, but online frieght calculators are giving me figures like $1000..

Thanks in advance,

Tuna..

I would say you would have to stack it on a pallet, and stick it on a pallet truck, depo to depo is cheaper if you can get it to the truck depo.

Otherwise a trailer towed behind your car (road trip) will do the job...depending on why you want to ship it. Did you sell or buy it or are you moving??

If moving just move it with all your other stuff, if buying go on a road trip and pick it up (road trips are fun), if selling get the buyer to come and pick it up or arrange his own transport..

Hope that helps:)

Thanks heaps for the quick reply Big Mick..

Your good advice confirmed my suspicion that this deal is a little out of my reach...

I was entertaining myself with the thought of buying some equipment, and yer the road trip option had gone through my head, but it's just a bit out of my reach.

It would be an 8.5 hour drive spanning 740 kms each way..

Before having kids I would have jumped at the oportunity for such a trek.. But at the present time I just couldn't see it happening.

I might just have to wait for the right deal to either spring up closer to me, or save more money for new equipment + great value shipping costs from gym direct.

Thanks again,

Tuna.

Thanks too for the quick reply Sookie..

I got no idea or experience in shipping things, hence the forum post..

One of the items was a commercial power rack weighing around 200kg.. and there was still the weights on top of that..

I figured it would have to be dismantled to move it, but do you mean that if it was dismantled, parts could then be wrapped in cardboard and still sent via courier, as a batch of smaller items for a reasonable amount?

Or are you taliking about something else, like a service by a courier company where they shove it all in 1 big crate or something?

I am almost about to give up on it.. but geez, it really was the rack i wanted at what i thought was the right price..

Thanks,

Tuna.

Yeah thats a serious road trip, drive there Saturday, return Sunday, cost of that would add up as well, fuel, accomodation, food etc.

Oh well.. I give up on this one..

Will go back to the drawing board.. For anyone interested in looking at what all the fuss was about.. It was a commercial power rack with bumpers and bench on ebay.

Ebay link click here..

I goto admit, if that was closer to home, I would have jumped at it..

Cheers,

Tuna..

The seller is a member of this forum, well was.

Anyway, he trains at PTC Frankston.

At the end of this month, markos will be driving to albury with a bunch of equipment for nationals. If you can road trip to albury, it may be worth shooting Markos an email and seeing if he can bring allens equipment up too.

Thanks heaps for the replies.

I pondered on the Albury idea for over a day, but still reckon it would be hard for me to pull it off. Its my first gym and I am only starting off at working out (literally just beginning), so the commercial rack was certainly more than I needed. But at that price I would have never needed anymore equipment / weight in my lifetime and was keen on the idea of it being super sturdy and never moving.

That said I might leave that deal to someone who could really make use of that much weight and has an easier time organising picking it up..

Also thanks heaps littleBloke.. I checked that courier service website, (e-go) and it was tops.. Saved that in my bookmarks for future reference.. I still thought it would be hard to organise getting them to road freight it all to me, as the best way would have required the seller to take the stuff to his local freight depot, which he wasn't keen on. (fair enough too).. the freight company though was nice enough to offer a service whereby the seller could drop off all the pieces loosely, and they would supply a pallet, and load it for me at a small cost. Then it could be freighted at depot to depot cost which was really cheap. thus the link to e-go made this thread very usefull to anyone looking to freight some gym item in the future. In fact it was the final answer to this thread. Definitely the best form of shipping to move gym equipment interstate. +rep for you for that link. I also bookmarked your website and noticed the deal you had for the super EZ curl bar. Will be keeping an eye on your site in future too..

I visit Sydney regularly and was still looking for something coming up there, but I am getting impatient.

I'm now shifting to the original idea of buying new from Gym Direct, getting the MMPR power rack deal 3, but swapping the bench for the commercial flat bench, and adding a dip attachment. I think the lighter rack and less weight plates will still suit my needs for a good long while yet, and then add weight as needed. From what I've read, getting it at Gym Direct will be hassle free, and the easiest option to get me working out in no time. It will at least give me enough gear to get started on the moving through space routine that Fadi posted. What a great post. Only thing i was'nt sure about was the weighted push ups. Not sure how to conveniently add the weight yet, but am sure I can come up with something.

Anyway, might contact The Hulk about it all.

Cheers,

Tuna.

Last edited:
Looks like a great deal on the Gym gear, the only thing is I would order an extra couple of 25kg plates, as that will give you 130kg total weights.

You will outgrow the 80kg on squats and dead lift in about 4 weeks, that's if you already have not outgrown it.

Just check my signature, and I have only been training seriously for strength for about 4 weeks, and I had never squatted more that 70 or 80kg in my life, and Ithink I will be squatting 120kg plus before the end of this month.

Last edited: