• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Practical Motivation

Fadi

Let me ask you a question. Who are you working out for? Most would say, “for me of course’, and there would be nothing wrong with that kind of answer. Nothing wrong with that kind of answer does not mean we can’t improve on it. You see, many of us, (if not all of us) are just the same when it comes to the basics. Being humans, we make excuses, and if there aren’t any obvious ones, some of us are just that bit better in finding and creating some excuse for ourselves. Excuses not to go to the gym; not to eat more or less, not to apply that bit more effort, and on and on it goes.

When I was younger and starting out as an Olympic weightlifter, my real motivation was none other than my coach, the man who started me up in this sport. I wanted to prove to him that I can do it, but more than that, I wanted to make him shine amongst his peers. Make him feel that he can take someone and from scratch, turn him into a world class weightlifter. That was my real motivation at a young age of only 15 back in 1980.

"Do it for you; you're doing this for you", may not always work. Why? Because at times (most times) we place others before ourselves. Be it the kids, our partner, or whoever, we're always going out of your way to help or please. Even when it seems that bodybuilders are self-centered/selfish in trying to achieve a particular goal, you'd find that when you break your actions into bits and pieces, they most often exist to meet someone else's expectation as well as your own.

We all need someone to do whatever we’re doing for. We create a training journal on a forum and let others comment on how we’re doing or not doing. We do that for a reason. This is not about arrogance or showing off no, far from it indeed. This is about letting ourselves be accountable to someone else, committed to someone other than our own selves. You never want to let your training partner down, so you make that extra effort to go to the gym even if you don’t feel like it. Doing it for someone else, (someone or some group that means something to you) does not mean you’re suddenly leaving yourself out of the picture no. It simply means now there’s more commitment, more enthusiasm, more of that fire in the belly that blasts us into real action and turns our words, our ambition, and our desires into reality.

Fadi.

I definitely train for myself only. That's not to say there might not be benefit for others in my training. Maybe my kids might benefit in me being more capable of physically interacting with them....not sure....I think conditioning work would be better than weight training for that. My wife definitely benefits lol, because she enjoys the firmer muscles. But basically I'm a selfish bastard, I just do it for myself.

I train because I enjoy it. I love going into the gym and lifting a weight I have never done before.

I motivate myself with goals. Whenever I feel like I can do the last rep I just remember i'll never be able to get to my goal if I can't lift this weight.

Thank you for your replies gentlemen appreciate it.

The point of my message was simply this: it's yes like you've said in your posts that we've got to have the drive and desire within us to do xyz. However to actually motivate someone (and we're always doing it with kids), we create a drive outside of one's self, a motivation to please (someone special in your life etc.). The point is that if we just do it for ourselves (which is not something bad as I've said in my OP), we sometimes fall short due to lack of commitment/accountability.

Gentlemen, this is not about I'm right you're wrong as I'm sure you've realised already, but it is about giving a different perspective and a different approach to motivation.

Fadi.

Interesting...

I read a book a while ago about motivation. It preached that the main motivation for self improvement was to please someone else. That someone else being the "future you". e.g, if I study for this exam future me can buy that Audi, or if I lift this last rep future me will kill at the beach.

The book went on to say that we are not always good at predicting what our future selves will want because we place our current selve's emotions and wants into our future self projection. An example would be when I learnt to skateboard thinking that those older dudes were cool, only to realise that most people that skate over say 21 are drop kicks.

I would say this is definitely my main motive. I want to better tomorrow than I am today, even if tomorrow me doesn't care.

I train for the chicks and money.

On a serious note, human beings are capable of miraculous feats when we devote our work to something external to ourselves, so that is a very good advice, Fadi.

I train to beat my training partners or some lifters I've never met but know them online in kilos or Wilks points (powerlifting). When I've gone pass one, I'll find the next one to beat.

I train to 'feel good'.

especially when I put a shirt on and realise that
my gut is not pertruding as much as it used to :).

I look at the mirror and say Devante you look
awesome; keep training and in no time you'll have a
six pac; then I walk away from my mirror with a step
in my walk ... AWESOME!

Devante.

i train for myself, to make myself better, stronger.
my current goals are to set the national sub junior 83's squat and dead records... bench is to far away lol, then to move on to equipped lifting.
id say i get my motivation from my coach and fellow lifters. seeing them achieve, and also seeing what can be achieved.
an overall long term goal is to be the best (there is no point in wanting anything less then that, it does not matter if you make it or not, as long at you try as hard as you can and be the best you can be, you will be satisfied with yourself)
each session is just bringing me one step closer...

Has anyone of you here heard of the word “dare”? Sure you have. Do you know its meaning and the effect it has on one’s motivation and drive level? Similarly, the word “bet”. Both of these words have a very powerful effect on one’s goal/s and the way they go about achieving that goal.

Have you ever competed on the national and international stage, or even your local stage? Have you noticed how the atmosphere of the competition creates a level of adrenaline within you that surpasses any level you may have experienced whilst training…by yourself? The competition is…well it’s about someone other than just yourself is it not? It’s about others watching you, it’s about proving not only to yourself, but to all else that your training was not in vain.

There’s really no escaping the fact that we derive drive from others, period! You may wish to deny it all day and all night long by insisting that you’re only doing (whatever) for yourself and yourself only. I beg to differ by saying, don’t forget the externals and the influences (positives as well as negatives) they may have on our motivation levels.

Ask any women who is trying to lose weight, or a bodybuilder who is aiming to bulk up…ask them about the relationship they have (not with other humans) but with their home scale/mirror! These seemingly innocent devices have disastrous consequences on motivation levels. I need someone here to come and tell me no Fadi you’re wrong, I’m not affected in the least with what people say about the way I look, the way I lift, or anything else that relates to my person. To that person I say, man, you’re not human, you’re a machine! I for one am not a machine.

Fadi.

Last edited:
you have hit the nail on the head yet again fadi.

sure people may say they train for themselves, but there is no better feeling, motivation or drive that comes from proving yourself to others.
hence my long term goal.

I need someone here to come and tell me no Fadi you’re wrong, I’m not affected in the least with what people say about the way I look, the way I lift, or anything else that relates to my person. To that person I say, man, you’re not human, you’re a machine! I for one am not a machine.[/FONT]

No Fadi you're wrong. I'm not in the least bit affected by what people say about the way I look. That's because I wasn't horrendously overweight before I started training, was just average looking so nobody has ever reacted negatively about my appearance.

I understand what you're getting at....how external influences motivate us to act...your scenario would be true for some of the members here who started out grossly overweight and maybe received a cruel look or comment at some point. They would def be motivated by the actions of others, but many also fall in my category of just wanting to do it for themselves.

When I started training I was looking for a hobby to take up, something to interest me and get my teeth stuck into. I'd just finished 7 years of tertiary study and was looking for something to fill the void. I did the study to better myself, not because of anyones influence....I was my sole motivating influence. Its the same thing with the weights, doing it to better myself. Plenty of people are self-motivated.

No Fadi you're wrong. I'm not in the least bit affected by what people say about the way I look.
Thanks for proving me wrong DKD, you're a machine mate :D!

Plenty of people are self-motivated.
I never denied that DKD. But what with the ones who are not, would you motivate them by telling them to do it for themselves or would you choose another option? My thread here has been about providing the motivater with another option to motivate with. We need all the tools to get the job done, the more tools at our disposal the better, would you not agree DKD?

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thanks for proving me wrong DKD, you're a machine mate :D!

You're a very good judge of character Fadi.

I am indeed an impressive machine...

bit like this.....

120y_w.jpg

I never denied that DKD. But what with the ones who are not, would you motivate them by telling them to do it for themselves or would you choose another option? My thread here has been about providing the motivater with another option to motivate with. We need all the tools to get the job done, the more tools at our disposal the better, would you not agree DKD?

Fadi.

I agree Fadi, anything that motivates one to act is a good thing. The key to that action lasting is that it comes from within.

I agree Fadi, anything that motivates one to act is a good thing. The key to that action lasting is that it comes from within.
I agree up to a point and then woulld say yes, but from within only for some. The others need an outside challange. I'm not disagreeing with you, only saying that we need to apply different strokes for diferent folks, that's all DKD. If you disagree, then I ask you to please provide us with a motivating tool (other than telling the person that they've got to do it for themselves). Thank you.

PS: One of my favourite cars of all times: a Datsun 120Y. I owned two in my time.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I guess you're right, otherwise PTs wouldn't exist. I've personally never felt the need to visit a PT. I have had a few sessions with a proper coach to get technique guidance, but I don't get the need to pay someone to motivate you to exercise. Obviously though plenty of people need it, which proves your point.