• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Recommend a training program for gf?

pistachio

Hi all,

My missus is looking to lose a few kgs and 'tone up'. There are so many programs etc out there I don't know where would be a good place for her to start.

I'm pretty sure I can take care of her diet, but I'm not sure what sort of program to put her on.

Starting strength? 5x5? Or for someone looking to lose weight and not necessarily gain muscle, would a high rep program be more appropriate? Free weights or machines? Compound or isolation?

If it was me (starting from scratch), I'd think starting strength or 5x5 or something similar.

Would this be appropriate for a female looking to start out? I don't want to 'intimidate' her with all the big exercises if possible... She is new to everything.

Cheers

Markos' beginners program :)

I'm doing the same for my missus and she used to like doing body pump classes, so all the exercises are familiar

beginner program +1. A girls training program will not differ compared to a male training program

beginner program +1. A girls training program will not differ compared to a male training program

This ^

It doesn't necessarily have to be the same exercises as the beginner program.
If someone asks me for a program I give them a template and show them exercises that fall within the template:

1. Squat variation eg back squats, goblet squats, front squats, box squats
2. Overhead press variation eg bb press, db press, single arm db press
3. Hamstring Dominant Posterior chain exercise eg romanian deadlift, good mornings, hyperextensions
4. Upper body pull eg Lat Pulldown, Seated Row, DB Row
5. Horizontal upper body push eg Dips, BB Bench Press, Incline DB press

if it's a dude I'll chuck in a calves/tri's/bi's/abs superset/circuit, a chick generally just the plank or something like that for their abs.

Old Andy Mitchell has won me over a bit on his rep scheme, but I tweaked it to:
10x70% (previous session's weight)
10x100%
10x105-110% (higher for lower body, lower for upper)
10x100%
20x70%

It will differ for something like pull ups where you just want more reps than last session.

As an example I took 2 girls through this program the other day:
1. DB Goblet Squat
2. Single arm DB o/h press
3. 45 Degree hyperextensions (we did 4x10 with BW)
4. DB Bench press (easier to do this instead of moving from free weights then coming back)
5. Chest supported row

Then I let them go on the treadmill while I deadlifted lol

Last edited:
When introducing women to weight training sometimes you can not just throw a beginners program to them and say thats it. They tend to have some preconceived ideas about weights. You may have to introduce some things slowly or in circuits, start with some bodyweight exercises and things like goblet squats etc. Work out the best way to keep her doing it for life which means she will eventually enjoy it.

In most cases that certainly applies Dave, however, one would hope his gf has some faith in him lol

Can you explain this more plz :)

He likes the idea of 1 top set of 10 reps, I have just added more volume :p

I made the weight jumps on upper body less cos that's where most people stall first ie MP vs Squats/Deads

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Graham, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Wasn't going to hit her up with all the hardcore exercises, might soften them up a little bit for starters (so maybe goblet squat instead of full squat, dumbell presses instead of military press etc).

Dave, also what I am thinking. I don't want to throw her in the deep end. I also don't want it to appear 'too hard' for starters. I'm thinking of maybe just doing 1-2 sets for the first week or two and then bump it up to a 'full' workout.

Also, after talking to the gf more, I've got a few more questions:

1) She is pretty much an endo/meso (by my guess). She used to play rugby ages ago and her legs got pretty big from it pretty quick. She doesn't want to be muscular (usual female gym criteria, she wants to be toned). So the question is, should I just give her say 1 set of squats a workout and thats it? Seeing as her legs respond almost too well anyway (and she doesn't want muscular legs again)

2) Seeing as her primary goal is to have a flat stomach and just generally lose fat/tone up, should I focus the program on speed rather than weight? ie Try to get all sets done as quickly as possible (to keep the heart rate up) or do supersets. If she lifts the weights too much, she will probably gain more muscle then she (or I) would like, again due to her body type.

3) She gets chronic lower back pain, in large due to her having rather large assets on a small frame. Would deadlifts or SLDL be better to fix this? Both lifts are extremely complicated for her to do (I tried teaching her, it didn't go to well....), so something simple is probably best.

Check out Pavel's 'From Russia with Tough Love' and get her interested in kettlebells. Not too technical to learn, suits her needs, won't get huge from them etc etc

Check out Pavel's 'From Russia with Tough Love' and get her interested in kettlebells. Not too technical to learn, suits her needs, won't get huge from them etc etc

Sounds interesting dave, where can I get it from?

Kettleballs are quite expensive though yeah? Although then I guess she wouldn't have to go to the gym either...

Also, any idea what sort of weights she would need? She's only little...

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking adamklam, Gym direct has a kettlebell package starting at 8kgs which seems pretty good then, Kettlebell Package_ Women Starter_8kg, 12kg, 16kg

However, I haven't seen the exercises that the program uses though, so not sure if this will be too heavy for her.

Also, I don't want it to be too hard for her when she starts (ie I'd rather she grow out of something quickly then find the initial weight too hard and not stick with it).

Plus she can always do higher reps, or supersets or whatever to increase the intensity with the lower weight, again, muscle gain is not really the aim.

Maybe I'll just buy an extra 4kg kettlebell to get her started?

Sounds good mate.

Just a quick note, don't go too hard too soon. Because your her boyfriend she will end up thinking you don't know what you're on about (people think this way referring to exercise with family members or close friends when really they are just soft and you do actually know what the fuck you're on about)

I would keep it fun as well mate, girls are whiners for repetitive programs, which sucks because we all know the most productive programs are the most boring.

If muscle gain is not the aim, kettlebell complex's are the game. Circuit work as well, I would personally just rock differed versions of a circuit eow.

if her lower back is an issue and deadlifts are a bit complex hyperextensions are a good bet. they basically saved my back in the days where i wasn't squatting/deadlifting because of a bad knee (which ironically i fixed because i started squatting against 2 physios, 2 doctors, a sports doctor and 2 surgeons advice lol).

the adjustable KB from Iron Edge is also a good option, think it has about 6 weight options between 6.5kg and 32kg

this is interesting.

the concept of one top end working set has grown on me.
if you can do 3x10 of something odds are only the last set was a ball buster.

PPP and 5/3/1 sort of follow this concept as well, though I'm tipping the programs aren't based on this idea lol

Last edited:
Sounds good mate.

Just a quick note, don't go too hard too soon. Because your her boyfriend she will end up thinking you don't know what you're on about (people think this way referring to exercise with family members or close friends when really they are just soft and you do actually know what the fuck you're on about)

I would keep it fun as well mate, girls are whiners for repetitive programs, which sucks because we all know the most productive programs are the most boring.

If muscle gain is not the aim, kettlebell complex's are the game. Circuit work as well, I would personally just rock differed versions of a circuit eow.

Cheers mate, yeah thinking the same thing, I won't push her too hard, I'll just see how she finds it. I'm going to make her sweat tho!

the adjustable KB from Iron Edge is also a good option, think it has about 6 weight options between 6.5kg and 32kg

I was considering this also, $190 + shipping, is this a good price? I have to see this program first though to see whether you need one or two kettlebells...

Last edited:
When designing a program for the missus. (i also do this for my long distance clients .. re: females. One has lost 8 kgs in 5 weeks)

- Try and sort your program into a curcuit of 5min. Try and group them with ballistic and grinding movements. Also group them with standing up and lying down exercises.

Ballistic movements - where the pace is free flowing and your not isloating your body. Such as 2 handed swings/around the worlds/
grinding movements - where you are using isolated movements.. Such as kettlebell floor presses/windmills/renegade rows/1 handed rows

REST -
2-5min for rest for musculare endurance
30-90seconds for musucular hypertrophy

E.g of a cuircuit (use 5-6 exercises of your choosing). Repeat this for 3 curcuits.

2 handed swings (10 swings) (ballistic) (hip mobility/posterior chain)
Around the world (10 a side) (ballistic) (hip mobility)
1 arm back rows (10 a side) (ballistic) (back)
Rack squats (10 reps) (grinding) (legs)
Windmills (10 reps a side) (grinding) (shoulders)
Floor presses (10 reps) (grinding) (chest)

For what its worth - i hold both level 1/2 kettlebell certifications. (not that it means much) :D

Last edited: