• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Topic of the Week- How can you create an effective home gym on a budget?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
How can you create an effective home gym on a budget?

Due to people working longer hours , commuting to work on longer distances many people find it hard to make time to visit the gym . Building a home gym can help solve this problem.

How can you create an effective home gym on a budget?
To fit in with the budget , what e equipment should one buy, for a home gym with limited pace?

Advantage and disadvantages to having a home gym ?

Do you have a home gym? If so, what does it consist of?

My tip is don't skimp of quality as you will have to replace it anyway and it will cost you more in the long run.

I think a good power rack with a bar and weights should be the start of every home gym.

A good rack, bench and bar and a decent amount of weights. If you buy enough to start off with you might be able to get a discount on the price. If you don't like jogging and need a substitute for cardio equipment then get a sled or a tire and drag that.

Advantages

• No shit music
  • No rack curlers, unless its you
  • No waiting for equipment
  • No idiot PTs
  • No monthly fees
Disadvantages

• Less eye candy
  • No spotter if you train alone (Easy to fix, get a friend to train with you. If they're hot that fixes your eye candy problem too.)
  • More cost upfront but cheaper in the long run

I've got the usual home gym set-up...power rack, oly bar, trap bar, ez curl bar, several dumbbells, heaps of plates, rubber mats, bench...everything I need really. Even got given a punching bag recently as a present, so I'm pretty stoked with my set-up.

I reckon if you were a real tight-ass you could get away with heaps less than what I got. You could have a really good workout just doing chins, dips and trap bar deadlift imo.

I'm seeing more and more public parks with these different circuit training stations set up around the park. I was doing a few sets of dips at one of them today. If you could find a park near you with chin up bar and dip bars...then just buy a trap bar, you'd get a great leg workout without need of a spotter or any self-spotting equipment such as a rack.

Might not necessarily be the way I'd go, but if you were really broke there are always cheaper options than a full-on whiz bang home set up.

I've got the usual home gym set-up...power rack, oly bar, trap bar, ez curl bar, several dumbbells, heaps of plates, rubber mats, bench...everything I need really. Even got given a punching bag recently as a present, so I'm pretty stoked with my set-up.

I reckon if you were a real tight-ass you could get away with heaps less than what I got. You could have a really good workout just doing chins, dips and trap bar deadlift imo.

I'm seeing more and more public parks with these different circuit training stations set up around the park. I was doing a few sets of dips at one of them today. If you could find a park near you with chin up bar and dip bars...then just buy a trap bar, you'd get a great leg workout without need of a spotter or any self-spotting equipment such as a rack.

Might not necessarily be the way I'd go, but if you were really broke there are always cheaper options than a full-on whiz bang home set up.

ive seen these park gyms as well. One of them had a squat machine and a chest press machine. Repped out the max weight easily lol. I wouldn't use it for strength, more fitness.

The dip/chin bars are good though.

A good rack, bench and bar and a decent amount of weights. If you buy enough to start off with you might be able to get a discount on the price. If you don't like jogging and need a substitute for cardio equipment then get a sled or a tire and drag that.

Advantages

• No shit music
  • No rack curlers, unless its you
  • No waiting for equipment
  • No idiot PTs
  • No monthly fees
Disadvantages

• Less eye candy
  • No spotter if you train alone (Easy to fix, get a friend to train with you. If they're hot that fixes your eye candy problem too.)
  • More cost upfront but cheaper in the long run
I think Freako nailed most of it but I would add.

You can fart anytime without worry.
You can train with no shirt when hot.
You can train at 2am in the morning if you so desire (99% of gyms are not 24.7)

For a beginner I believe it would be wise to spend the money and join a gym.

For an experienced trainer I think they should do both, bit in a garage gym you only need to buy what you need, don't buy kettlebells just because there fashionable.

For a beginner I believe it would be wise to spend the money and join a gym.

For an experienced trainer I think they should do both, bit in a garage gym you only need to buy what you need, don't buy kettlebells just because there fashionable.

I agree with this. Most beginners join a gym, go hard at it for a month then give up.

Decide if you actually enjoy it and if you are going to do it long term before you spend a couple grand on a home gym.

My home gym is
Commercial power rack
2 oly bars
About 500kgs plates
Flat bench
GHR

Have a couple bands and assorted standard plates and bars that don't really get used.

Nothing else I really need at the moment.

I think Freako nailed most of it but I would add.

You can fart anytime without worry.
You can train with no shirt when hot.
You can train at 2am in the morning if you so desire (99% of gyms are not 24.7)

If you shit yourself during a heavy lift :eek: you can quickly head off to the shower without embarrassment...

I am the same as the others with home setups, rack, bench, bars and plates. Freako pretty much summed it up. Dont forget at home you choose the music, no wankers apart from yourself and your close to fridge, cupboard full of food and your own toilet for the mid session dump.

Squat Racks and Bench Press, make a deadlift platform...

but what do people do for MP's at a home gym, if you don't have a rack what do you use to do them safely...

Squat Racks and Bench Press, make a deadlift platform...

but what do people do for MP's at a home gym, if you don't have a rack what do you use to do them safely...

Make a platform so you can dump the bar?

Cost us $180. 5 sheets of ply and 6 rubber mats. Get the thicker rubber if you can find it. Horse grade.