• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlifts - back/arse pain

TheGiftToLift

Recently upped my SLDL weight and at my last gym sesh my lower back wasnt feeling great but now it feels fine. The problem is my left butt cheek is a bit stuffed.

Anyway, was wondering what would be a better fix -

1. drop/reset weight
2. do something else like hamstring curls for a while

I'm doing a full body workout at the moment 3x per week -standard Fadi workout.

Just go by feel for a bit. Don't bother changing exercises just do lots of light SLDL as a warm up and slowly build the weight up and see how it goes.

muscular or nerve????

now and then i get prety bad nerve pain running from low low back through left butt cheek, deep nerve pain, doesnt happen at gym though it will just randolmly get sore, pretty sure its sciatic nerve, when i get it i stop lifting heavy and stretch a LOT

Not sure if its muscular or nerve... it kind of feels like both.

When I put my pants on and shift weight onto my left leg, my butt muscles gives out. Sort of like it switches off. Feels sort of like a pinched nerve.

So where is it, the lower back or the arse?

edit - do you work your glutes

Last edited:
i know what you mean... its a very deep pinch.. i get the same thing... i havent researched into it but i pretty sure its sciatic nerve. when its bad i cant really do anything, i feel it in glutes like very deep, but its caused from tightness in the back im sure.. so thats why i stretch heaps... some dencorub or voltaren works pretty well.

my solution when it occurs, STRETCH, A good warm up, Rest if necesary

Last edited:
Nope, i do no isolation glute work.. I rely on the SLDL to do that for me.

pain is more in my arse. Now when I try and find the pain, it feels more like a nervous issue. Maybe I just overloaded the nerve.

i know what you mean... its a very deep pinch.. i get the same thing... i havent researched into it but i pretty sure its sciatic nerve. for some reason i feel it in glutes but its caused from tightness in the back.. so thats why i stretch heaps... some dencorub or voltaren works pretty well.

bullseye. The girlfriend gets back next weekend, so I'll get some massages going lol.

I'm gonna buy some decorub and epsom salts tonight.

You sound like you have an left side glute weakness with most likely a tighter and stronger right side. Also you probably lack hip mobility to do the lift properply without your lower back needing to take over for the lack of hip strength and hip mobility. Lighten the load add in some glute max and medius work for your left side predominately and work on some mobility and flexibilty in your hips to save your lower back. Search the net for.hip mobility exercises. Stretch your right glutes, piriformis, ITB and stretch both sides hamstrings, groin and hip flexors throughout the day. also massage ball or foam roller your right ass and side of your pelvis.

You sound like you have an left side glute weakness with most likely a tighter and stronger right side. Also you probably lack hip mobility to do the lift properply without your lower back needing to take over for the lack of hip strength and hip mobility. Lighten the load add in some glute max and medius work for your left side predominately and work on some mobility and flexibilty in your hips to save your lower back. Search the net for.hip mobility exercises. Stretch your right glutes, piriformis, ITB and stretch both sides hamstrings, groin and hip flexors throughout the day. also massage ball or foam roller your right ass and side of your pelvis.

That's some pretty good advice man. I'm definitely going to give that stuff a go. Cheers.

Sciatica without disc degeneration is normally due to either the factors below leading to poor pelvic positioning that your lumbar spine compensates for which can irritate nerves coming from the spine. The other reason is an tightness in your piriformis (a deep ass muscle) that the nerve runs through or below (different in people) and when tight it can compress the nerve. This may happen after training when it has a reason to tighten up. Sciatica like pains without lower back issues are commonly a piriformis issue.

One other thing I've noticed, is my right knee points in a bit - like the femur is rotated slightly. Is that another symptom of hip immobility/weak ass?

I am a lowly PT at the moment, did post grad rehab though to become a exercise physiologist in the future.

About the knee it could be lots of reasons you could have tight internal rotators of the hip, it could be a weakness between your external and internal rotators, it could be you have a rotated bone in your calf (happens often enough) that is just genetic and can not be changed. Hard to diagnose without an assessment. The hip issue is really common so that is why i can say it is most likely that. The knee could be a symptom or part of the cause of your hip issues.

Sounds like you're rounding your lower back a little too much to me, I was having the same problem with deadlifts and when I filmed myself there was a tiny bit of rounding as I pulled from the floor. I fixed this and the pain went away

Sounds like you're rounding your lower back a little too much to me, I was having the same problem with deadlifts and when I filmed myself there was a tiny bit of rounding as I pulled from the floor. I fixed this and the pain went away

how exactly did you fix the tiny bit of lower back rounding?

how exactly did you fix the tiny bit of lower back rounding?

As stated a lot of times above, it was hamstring and hip mobility preventing me from starting the lift with my arse low enough. I read Pavel's "Relax into stretching" book and now I can almost do a full russian split. It's worth a read as many people stretch completely wrong

interesting...

Yeh flexibility is a major issue for. I might look into that book you mentioned.

Dave - your advice made more sense than the physio i saw last year about a probably related problem - shin splints. cheers.

No problem. Also with shin splints look to your feet and specifically your shoes and insoles.