• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Some personal trainers F,in anoy me

thechosenone

Dont wanna sound like to much of a asshole but this morning when i went to gym there was this personal trainer there with a group of like 5 people, The exercises he told them to do seemed f,in pointless. This guy was pritty muscley and he had them doin shit like dumbell flys was 5 kilo dumbells and cable cross overs and all that shit. What really pissed me off was he had these 2 guys hogging the squat rack squatting like 30 kilos and there form was so shithouse, so i couldnt do my squats straight up , i would have used the smith machine for a replacement but someone was using that. Anyway my point is why do personal trainers give there clients pussy routines that will get them nowhere, I saw him coaching this fat guy that did like 10 reps of dumbell lunges with 5 kilo dumbells he wasnt even near musclalar failure and he said that will do now go over and do some cable cross overs, arrrrrg stressfull when u see people hog up the equipment to do piss weak exercises, Some people probly think im a full on asshole for saying all this but its how i feel.

Yer i know i sound like a prick lol, i just dont understand why personal trainers give there clients useless programs that dont get u anywhere, im pritty certain he didnt get muscley doin what he was teaching

Don't be kunty

Lifting weight should be a peaceful time and good for health.

You joking? - lifting weights is a time to go balls to the wall and push yourself like nothing else....time for warrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yer i know i sound like a prick lol, i just dont understand why personal trainers give there clients useless programs that dont get u anywhere, im pritty certain he didnt get muscley doin what he was teaching

Part of the problem is you need to keep the client interested and motivated. Of my exercise bassed clients 3/4 of then only book me as some sort of pseudo psychologist to keep them motivated.

In an exercise setting you really need to be rotating your clients movements around on a session by session basis or they start to get bored and lose motivation.

I should add, 90% of personal trainers are shit. total shit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeNGVS2T_Rk[/ame] Joel u are the fucking man thats great encouragement, if i was a personal trainer this is what i would say to them. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeNGVS2T_Rk[/ame]

Anyway my point is why do personal trainers give there clients pussy routines that will get them nowhere
Where do I start? Let me just say that the personal trainers you're talking about know exactly what and why they're giving their clients the routines they're giving them. Yes, at times it has nothing to do with physical improvement whatsoever. But who do you blame? At times the PT starts his profession with all the good intentions in the world, only to be met with clients that are there wanting to lose weight or get in shape, most times without actually applying the appropriate effort that is necessary to get them results. Yes, they think that just because they’re paying a PT, their bodies would magically change. Many people, (more than you could ever imagine) contradict and confuse “saying” with “doing”. Just because I say I want to get from A to B, does not mean I will do what it takes to get me there. For someone like me (and many others here), this mind set is foreign to us, but not to the majority of the clients you're talking about.

On the flip side, not all PTs start with good intentions. No, some start with the intention of making money on the backs of failing clients who rely on them for whatever reason.
Some people probly think im a full on asshole for saying all this but its how i feel.
Please do not count me as one of those as I empathise with you.

Fadi.

Fadi put it perfectly. Before you criticise too much you need to walk in the PT's shoes for a while to see what it is really like. I get people that only want to stretch and do easy stuff, they say but do not do. I have other clients who I can work hard even if it is a lot of postural stuff (that they need). You work with what you've got. Saying that there is no excuse for terrible form when training someone. I would love to just have hard working people but that is never the case unless you start/work at somewhere that is geared towards that crowd like Powersports and those place are hard to find.

I have observed the same thing.
Imagine if they told every client to do the basics? Do you think the other machines would be used?

There was only one time that I approached a P.T and asked them why they were showing two beginners how to squat on a smith machine. I was told it was a beginners exercise and that barbell squats are too advanced. From then on I didn't bother what they were giving their clients or what other people were doing. I focused on my own lifting.

That's the same mentality with other exercises, they will give them machine bench press or machine shoulder press.

I think there are two problems, one is that P.T's lack the knowledge and experience to design programs and two the whole culture in commercial gyms is that beginners are given machine weights before they are advanced to free weights, by this time the clients either quit or do their "own program".

The culture around commercial gym's is starting to change however. I was the only one squatting, pressing and deadlifting at my gym. Now more people are squatting and deadlifting, or at least trying to.

Stronglifts seems to be popular with people but have no idea who Bill Star or Rippetoe is.

It seemed he just gave them all the same program and they were just rotating between each exercise, he was teaching a guy how to do cable cross overs then moved him onto the smith machine and did shoulder presses, then onto the bench press none of them were writing down what they were lifting.

As said earlier, cluey PTs get jaded quickly because of their lazy clients, who sadly are the majority. Sometimes you just gotta give them the BS so you can pay the bills.

If you talk directly to the PTs about lifting, you may be surprised.

Dont wanna sound like to much of a asshole but this morning when i went to gym there was this personal trainer there with a group of like 5 people, The exercises he told them to do seemed f,in pointless. This guy was pritty muscley and he had them doin shit like dumbell flys was 5 kilo dumbells and cable cross overs and all that shit. What really pissed me off was he had these 2 guys hogging the squat rack squatting like 30 kilos and there form was so shithouse, so i couldnt do my squats straight up , i would have used the smith machine for a replacement but someone was using that. Anyway my point is why do personal trainers give there clients pussy routines that will get them nowhere, I saw him coaching this fat guy that did like 10 reps of dumbell lunges with 5 kilo dumbells he wasnt even near musclalar failure and he said that will do now go over and do some cable cross overs, arrrrrg stressfull when u see people hog up the equipment to do piss weak exercises, Some people probly think im a full on asshole for saying all this but its how i feel.

That time of the month?

That time of the month?

Considering im taking it serious and theres only 1 squat rack in the room and its been hogged by some people that arent even training properly and in 2 weeks will probly give up. I cant sit around and wait i have to gym in the morning before work.

I would say personal trainers are similar to GP's in that they would have to deal with a wide variety of people having different expectations.

This could be quite stressful, a cookie cutter template is a solution and the problem.
We have all come from the same place as these people we see doing stupid things I'm sure.
I did, my influence to working hard has come mainly from Dr Ken Liestner.
Before him I had no idea what a proper workout was.

Lots of variables, the main one is a persons tolerance to pain.

Don't waste your energy on getting angry, just focus on yourself, do the best you can on the day.

We shouldn't bag each others methods, we should just be more tolerant and positive towards people in the lifting community.

I see no need for aggression and anger in ones training, I've seen some very strong men that don't use anger as a motivator.

Considering im taking it serious and theres only 1 squat rack in the room and its been hogged by some people that arent even training properly and in 2 weeks will probly give up. I cant sit around and wait i have to gym in the morning before work.

If you are serious you will find a place which is more suited to you or you will have your own garage gym.

I have a garage gym and I also drive past six gyms to get to my public gym when I use that.

Okay, rather than judge you (as I'm not typically a judgmental type of a person), I would simply tell you what I would have done had I been in your position, and I've been in your position more than you would care to count, so here goes...

When I walk into a gym, there's always a myriad of alternative exercises in my head ready to jump out and take the place of the exercise I had planned for the present workout session.

So say I was pumped to take it out on the squats with some heavy weights etc., but like you, I find the squat rack occupied and there are even more lifters waiting in line to get to it before I even stepped foot in the gym.

Option #1: Get really annoyed, frustrated, judgmental, and raise my cortisol level and all the catabolic hormones you can think of over the situation.

Option #2: Shrug it off because I simply can based on the knowledge and the experience that I have under my belt. This is about high self-esteem and not about arrogance (there's a hige difference). I get my straps out, grab some heavy duty d/bells and begin to do some mighty step ups with them.

You see, at times we have a gold mine given to us without us realising it. I mean thanks to these lifters who a occupying the squat rack, I'm going to do something I haven't done for a while. What does that mean as far as my muscles are concerned? SHOCK, that's what! With a positive shock comes adaptation, and with that comes progress. So you see how easy it is to turn what we sometimes view as being a negative into one hell of a positive!

All power to you Champ.

Fadi.

As said earlier, cluey PTs get jaded quickly because of their lazy clients, who sadly are the majority. Sometimes you just gotta give them the BS so you can pay the bills.

If you talk directly to the PTs about lifting, you may be surprised.

Point proven.

I am studying Sport Science, I would much rather be working in a sport setting with athletes all day. But, in Australia we do not have the money or population to do this.

I would say personal trainers are similar to GP's in that they would have to deal with a wide variety of people having different expectations.

Everyone has the same expectations. They also have the same missconceptions.

Some examples:

How do I lose fat of body part X - Are we spot reducing fat now?
What Supplements should I take - Assuming the said supps are going to transform their performance.

I can go on if needed?

I removed the 'what are you goals' section from my PAR-Q forms because people were just ticking every box.....

Last edited:
Point proven.

I am studying Sport Science, I would much rather be working in a sport setting with athletes all day. But, in Australia we do not have the money or population to do this

Out of every 10 trained people only 1 is into athletic ability.. rest are into bb or zumba..