• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Home Gym Help

Kutalopolis

I am looking to set up a home gym and have a few products in mind, i will list them below and if you guys could perhaps let me know if you have the same product and what you think or if you would recommend something different which you think is of better quality/price.

PowerRack: Bench Press | Power Rack - - Powertec Power Rack

WeightPlates: Iron Edge Bumper Plate Pack - Australian Kettlebells/ IronEdge

Bench: Commercial Flat Bench with wheels

Weight Tree: Bumper Plate Storage Rack

Bar (already ordered): Australian Barbell Company |

I am not going to buy that exact set of bumper plates, i am going to buy them in pairs and get some more 25s instead of the 15s, i wanted a bench that is wide, 30cm is ideal and one leg also. Have looked at the MM Rack from gymdirect but i prefer the quality of the powertec, is rated to 450kg vs 320kg on the MM. That is the most i will want to spend on a rack, if there are any other racks out there that you think are of better quality/ price please let me know.

Cheers

Thanks Graham and Callan, i know PTC use the ironedge bumpers as well....they seem to stay strong for them so i think they are the go :p

Also, i dont know if you guys can help with this but how do i go about an AUSBB discount on gymdirect....do i need a code or do i send the guy an email? Cheers

not sure on the discount... but i measured my bumpers and they are only 3mm bigger then Eleiko iron plates used in competition.

If the plates are slightly bigger than what I would use in comp then I leave myself open to being weak off the floor (due to having to pull that 2-3mm extra to what I train with) so I stand on a thin piece of timber to try and make up the difference.

Totally irrelevent if you're not a competing Powerlifer or Olympic Weightlifter I will add

I have that Powertec cage and it's held up very well over the couple of years that I've owned it... It does have some scratches on it but that's expected as it actually gets used. Try to avoid buying the yellow one, ask for black or grey as they wont show the scratches as much.
The only downside to the cage is that sometimes on heavier sets of bench, rows, etc the cage does move out of position slightly... This can be stopped by bolting it down or putting a 20kg plate on either side of it.

If you're handy with a welder mate I could send you some plans to build a squat rack; mine cost me about $80 in steel.