• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

A few gym questions

0ni

Registered Rustler
Cheapest I can get gym membership in my area is $490. I however have a massive garage space so a home gym is a viable option. How much would this cost to set up? I need the following equipment:

• Deadlifting / Oly lifting platform (Will probably build myself, easy enough)
  • Powercage
  • Bench
  • 20kg olympic bar
  • 2x1.25kg plates
  • 2x2.5kg plates
  • 2x5kg plates
  • 2x10kg plates
  • 2x15kg plates
  • 8x20kg plates

Extra 20kg plates can be bought as and when I need them, I'll just have to do speed deadlifts and high pulls until then!

Depending on how much room you have, money etc I'd be tempted to go squat stands over a powercage/rack. They're cheaper which leaves you money for a decent bench press, and more room to deadlift (though if you build a DL platform you can build the cage on it, might be no good for Olympic lifts though).

No need to go all out on everything cept probably the bar, as that'll make the most noticeable difference in quality.

If you want bumper plates for Olympic lifts Iron Edge are reasonably cheap, though postage may be a bit if you're out of Vic

My advice is to just buy what you will need.

And all you will need is a barbell, just enough plates and a set of squat stands.

You can add along the way.

200kg speed pulls? You must be strong!

I like quality gear, so that set up would cost me around 3k
ABC power bar $500
Muscle Motion commercial cage $1000
Muscle motion commercial bench $300
Rubber coated oly plates $600
IronEdge bumper pack $600

That said, I think you could do it for under 2k.
If you got a standard muscle motion cage ~$600, 600kg muscle motion bar ~$200, sourced the cheapest plates (I'd still go rubber) ~$600, and a cheap bench you'd be cheering.

Now I'm sure the prices are close, but check out gymdirect.com.au for the exact costs. Keep in mind, you get 10% off for being an ausbb member.

Ok ta, this is looking fairly attractive. I'll have a nose around. Maybe I could just buy 3 months of gym membership while I am waiting for enough money to buy all the equipment

Ok, thanks for all the info so far. I have decided that I will go ahead and buy one years gym membership. In the mean time, I will save up and buy all the equipment I need for a home gym in this year. I like it how gymdirect prices the shipping individually instead of at once, this will allow me to buy the items individually and not pay loads for shipping! I have decided to go for the following items, I went for better quality stuff that will last me a while as I've learnt in the past that you may as well fork out the extra cash and get the things that last a while! The bar will probably only last a few years, but I could do with a cheap bar to do rack pulls with anyway.

MMPR Power Rack - cheap, good quality, plenty of chinning grips and I doubt that I'll be benching or squatting more than 700lbs anytime soon

FLAT BENCH - nothing fancy here, it's a bench. May even get one from graigslist

180KG Olympic barbell set (Rubber) - 180kg worth of weight including the bar. I'll probably need four more 20kg plates by the time I get around to buying this, but that's not really an issue

Total cost including shipping and discount is $1303.20 which is much better than what I was expecting. Hopefully this price won't change too drastically, just ordered a years worth of supplements and that cost me less than $100! I guess you win some and lose some

lol just get it all of ebay
dont worry about fancy or bar styles my friend good idea to budget and get squat racks, dumbells, bench incline/decline, preacher pads, leg curl system , low high pulley
thats it wont cost much if u get a bargain

check ebay and gumtree

lol just get it all of ebay
dont worry about fancy or bar styles my friend good idea to budget and get squat racks, dumbells, bench incline/decline, preacher pads, leg curl system , low high pulley
thats it wont cost much if u get a bargain

check ebay and gumtree

I've bought cheap shit in the past and it just isn't worth it imo. I will look on ebay and gumtree for some of the cheaper stuff though. I don't need anything like leg curl system, pulleys or preacher pads tbh. I think ebay and gumtree will be good to get a flat bench and more 20kg plates from though

I love how ppl wont pay the money to join a gym - even $1000 over a year is nothing when your using something 3,4,5,6 times a week.

I've bought cheap shit in the past and it just isn't worth it imo. I will look on ebay and gumtree for some of the cheaper stuff though. I don't need anything like leg curl system, pulleys or preacher pads tbh. I think ebay and gumtree will be good to get a flat bench and more 20kg plates from though

Your right cheap gym equipment is useless once you start lifting decent weights.

I have almost the exact same set up sticky mentioned above plus a GHR for around $3500-4000 can't exactly remember. The commercial muscle motion power rack is awesome.

I would never go back to a commercial gym now. To many dick heads. My setup is better than any of the gyms around here anyway and once you factor in travel and using the gym 6 times a week it will work out cheaper fairly quickly anyway.

I plan on making my GHR machine, they are far too expensive for me to afford haha
Can get my mum to do the cushions :p

lol yeah that's a bit full on.

I would have loved one but no way could I justify the cost to get a decent one, and my building skills are terrible :p

GHR in a home gym?

Nice Bazza.

A bit over the top but the main reason I got it was I hurt my back playing footy. It was stuffed, pretty much just lay in bed for weeks. After a few years of not a real lot of improvement and 1000s spent at docs, physios, choiros I discovered back raises at the gym improved it out of sight. So when i set up my home gym was going to get a 45 degree back raise but decided to get a GHR as I can still do back raises as well as the bonus of being able to do Glute hams.

They are expensive as but it's been a very good buy for me.

lol yeah that's a bit full on.

I would have loved one but no way could I justify the cost to get a decent one, and my building skills are terrible :p

If you find some plans then you could go to a local welder and get them to make it on the cheap. There was a guy I cycled with that did this and 100% of his equipment was made this way! I'd probably buy in stuff like power racks etc (you want to be sure it can take the weight!) but I don't see any reason why you can't knock up a GHR this way :p

Can't find any plans with a quick search but this looks er... interesting
Moar DIY Stuff – On Ham Raises Chronicles of elnyka

I love how ppl wont pay the money to join a gym - even $1000 over a year is nothing when your using something 3,4,5,6 times a week.
Easy to say when u train at a real gym. When there are only FF/Goodlife/snap/jetts in your area, well....I'll keep my grand thank you very much.