• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

lower back pain doing reverse hypers etc

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
Not one I'm overly phased by (I just avoid exercises that cause this issue) but I tend to get severe acute pain near the base of my spine (coccyx region) doing exercises such as hyperextensions and reverse hypers when my hips are at full flexion.

I only ask as I had the same thing happen doing RDLs the other day which I've never had before. And a side vid showed my back was fairly well perfectly straight.

Fuzzy said it may be due to weak abs but I'd like other peoples views as well

Abs and ass control stability of the pelvis/lumbar region but will not work efficiently if you do not have proper hip mobility and to a lesser degree proper hip stability and symmetry. So if you have tighter hips on one side you will have issues, if you have tight hips on both sides that won't help either. Also not having enough thoracic mobility will cause issues due to your lumbar spine taking a bit of the mobility brunt and it the lumbar spine is designed for stability with a tiny bit of mobility.

Do you have any shoulder issues (tight, protracted etc)?

Slight protraction and I've had a history of impingement/rotator cuff strain.

I've got poor overall spinal mobility in both thoracic and lumbar too

You don't want lumbar mobility anyways unless you want an unstable spine and pelvis... Not good.

Increase your hip and thoracic mobility. Work on stabilising your lumbar spine/pelvis and scapulo-thoracic joint. Go search for hip mobility exercises and thoracic mobility exercises (foam roller or two tapped tennis balls). Stretch what is tight statically, add a good dynamic stretching warmup (of which your hip and thoracic exercises should be a part of).You could do most of this in a warmup/warm down for work out.

Get yourself a good massage or foam roller and massage ball the crap out of yourself a few times a week especially in your glute medius and piriformis along with your whole shoulder girdle area.

Add something like glute bridges, lateral band walks, wall slides, prone y's and t's, pushups, two leg lowering (move to swiss ball rollouts, then barbell rollouts then an ab roller and focus on a neutral back and non moving pelvis) to your workout. You want to activate and strengthen the weaker inhibited muscles such as your gluteus medius and glute max on the non-tight sides, your lower trap, serratus anterior and rhomboids.

Some good educational stuff for you would be 'A Joint by Joint approach' by Mike Boyle (search for the title on google), Magnificent Mobility DVD by Robertson and Cressey, Gray Cook and Lee Burtons work.

You do not have to go all functional training style but bringing in some would help you in the long run, just don't sit on a fucking swiss ball and do your exercises like I see some PT's make their clients do :).

I do glute bridges/hip thrusters against bands, and warm up squats with a band around my knees.
I've noticed that even with warm up sets the knees cave slightly so I should probably adress that ASAP.

That and the mobility obviously

There are times when a lower back pain or a knee pain is related to the tightness in the hamstrings (and sometimes quadriceps). Make sure to warm up properly then perform some hamstring streches (holds) as well as lower back stretches (rocking).

lower-back-stretch.jpg

fotolia_370521_XS.jpg
Standing.jpg

Fadi.