• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bar hacking up back during squats.

JimJam

The knurling on the bar is shredding my back,
ends up removing plenty of skin and get some light blood like a graze.

I find on the last few reps I tend to pull down on the bar digging it into my back.

anyone else experience this?
I figure I'm doing something wrong or simply need to harden up.

suggestions? pointers?

Last edited:
The knurling on the bar is shredding my back,
ends up removing plenty of skin and get some light blood like a graze.

I find on the last few reps I tend to pull down on the bar digging it into my back.

anyone else experience this?
I figure I'm doing something wrong or simply need to harden up.

suggestions? pointers?

Are you squating with no shirt on? lol.

If your squating correctly the bar should be sitting on your traps and not even move.

Like Shrek said put a jumper on or a t-shirt or something?? lol....confused

Are you squating with no shirt on? lol.

If your squating correctly the bar should be sitting on your traps and not even move.

Like Shrek said put a jumper on or a t-shirt or something?? lol....confused

yeah mate I'm wearing a T-shirt,
going to try a few different positions tonight, see if I can get the bar to sit better.

time to harden up...... or just more bar time is needed... stick with it, skin will toughen up and get used to it

I have experienced a similar discomfort in the last 2 weeks. The way I overcame this problem was to really squeeze my traps together under the bar and take a slightly narrower grip on the bar beside my shoulders, this helps maintain the flexed traps. I then try not to bend my wrists back under the bar but instead keep them straight and try to lock the bar on the fleshiest part of my traps which once flexed creates a shelf so to speak. Also when you go under the bar, get your mind into an attack it kind of mode (kinda get pissed off at it a bit for intensity), this helps blood flow into the traps (advice I got off a heavy lifter in my gym). This all helps to provide a good cushion that is much harder thus stopping the bar tearing and bruising the back up. Other than that, you could take the advice my gym partner gave me; "take a concrete pill and harden the F@#K UP", LOL.
Make sure you lock the bar, its the slight movement that creates the blood spots and bruising on the back.

Last edited:
cheers for the replies,

todays squat session I tried to pay attention, on the later reps im relaxing my traps and can feel the bar in my back straight away.

so really focused on keeping them tight, helped alot,

struggled a bit focusing on the squat and traps together but generally better.