• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

MMPR Power rack

thanks

for a total beginner in weight lifting, what weight plate setup would you recommend? I can choose any combination that adds up to 80kg.

I am thinking more light weights and less heavy plates?

Tuna, I love you.

Undelicious, Id go
1.25 x 2
2.5kg x 2
5kg x 2
10kg x 2
20kg x 8

That would be enough to get you started, and if you wnet with the MM gear, the start of a quality home gym.

What if we added dumbell handles to the mix?

I love tuna too.. lol .. Even better I love catching tuna.

I am also wondering what weight plate configuration people would recommend for a beginner.

The above config that you wrote Sticky, was for nearly 200kg of plates. It makes perfect sense, seeing that it has a pair of all the increment plates to make up to the next set of 20's to throw on. For Undelicious' question, I am guessing he would just get less 20kg plates to make his 80kg limit? I am not sure..

Anyway, what are your opinions with the best config, for the 175kg limit in the package deal no.7 , if I wanted to also make use of some dumbell handles to use with the same plates? Thus I would probably need at least 4 of some of the smaller sizes to use the dumbells. It wouldn't bother me to have to buy a few extra small plates outside of the package limit, to make a good useful set.

At a guess, and also going off what I have read here would this be ok? Which would be your preference? Feel free to write up a better preferred option anyone..

a)
1.25 x 4
2.5 x 4
5 x 4
10 x 2
20 x 6

OR

b)

1.25 x 4
2.5 x 4
5 x 8
10 x 2
25 x 4

option b assumes you can fit the following plates onto a dumbell handle.

1.25/2.5/5/5========5\5\2.5\1.25

OR

c)
1.25 x 4
2.5 x 4
5 x 12
10 x 2
20 x 4

option c assumes you can fit the following plates onto a dumbell handle.

1.25/2.5/5/5/5========5\5\5\2.5\1.25

Then after getting strong enough to lift the whole 175, just buy extra big (20 or 25kg) plates..

Opinions anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Tuna..

Last edited: