• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training after a Knee Reconstruction

mroczeK

*not sure if this is the right section to post this, if not can admins please move it*

Hey guys, i just had a Knee Reconstruction on my right knee today (Crucial Ligament repair). Surgery went great apparently, i didn't get to talk to my surgeon after the surgery because they couldn't wake me up so he fucking left, what a mate.... :\ had so many questions for him too and no one else could answer them for me. ANYWAY

Because of my surgery, i don't plan on stopping going to the gym, i don't want to lose my strength, i want to stay fit and i am just that fucking dedicated.

I don't plan on doing anything that will strain my right leg/knee, i will only be doing upper body work, nothing that will require me to stand. Thinking of going back to the gym next monday.

Can anyone recommend me an upper body routine i can do with the goal of bulking?

If you want to get the best from your surgery I suggest getting an experienced physio or exercise physiologist to get you a rehab program and you stick to it and focus on getting better for now. Once they give you the all clear then take their advice on going heavy and hard upstairs. You could use this time to also correct any issues you have going on in the upperbody which they could also point out and help you with. If you have some patience you could get the best result for the future instead of some short term gains now.

I know two people who recently had their knees done. They are both very active people and they started back by doing light exercise bike work for a few weeks before moving onto other things.

See a physio and get them to set out a rehab routine that will build back into weights training.

I think you guys are getting confused, i don't plan on doing any leg/cardio work for now until i go through my rehab and my knee heals up.

I am talking about going to the gym just to do upper body work just by sitting in a chair, no strain on the knee/leg at all. Just going to continue doing shoulder presses, bicep curls, bench etc etc that wont require any support from my right knee/leg.

Three problems. Adding more muscle mass uptop whilst being weak in the legs can (stress the can) lead to more stress on your knee once you get back to running around. Second problem is you go heavy on upper days and you leave less resources for your healing knee. Third problem is you have to adapt the bench and shoulder press a bit due to your inability to both stabilise and contribute force during the lift. So you will have to reduce your lifts on these lifts too otherwise you could stress your knee.

I think you guys are getting confused, i don't plan on doing any leg/cardio work for now until i go through my rehab and my knee heals up.

I am talking about going to the gym just to do upper body work just by sitting in a chair, no strain on the knee/leg at all. Just going to continue doing shoulder presses, bicep curls, bench etc etc that wont require any support from my right knee/leg.

I don't see a problem with this.

But I would like to see your plan.

Three problems. Adding more muscle mass uptop whilst being weak in the legs can (stress the can) lead to more stress on your knee once you get back to running around. Second problem is you go heavy on upper days and you leave less resources for your healing knee. Third problem is you have to adapt the bench and shoulder press a bit due to your inability to both stabilise and contribute force during the lift. So you will have to reduce your lifts on these lifts too otherwise you could stress your knee.

Yeah thanks i have realized the stability issue with bench and shoulder press etc. The surgeon has given me the OK to go to the gym and continue doing upper body workouts. I just think i will just do light weights and have a friend spotting me at all times just in case something goes wrong.

Cheers for your advice everyone.

Hope you knee gets beta soon I had a full lars knee reco 6 months ago just make sure u don't push it to much good luck .

Yeah thanks i have realized the stability issue with bench and shoulder press etc. The surgeon has given me the OK to go to the gym and continue doing upper body workouts. I just think i will just do light weights and have a friend spotting me at all times just in case something goes wrong.

Cheers for your advice everyone.

Perfect, my goal was to make you think about it good to see that you did. Good luck.