• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Anbody using Skins or other compression tights?

candyflip

Fatty
I'm after some for outdoor football training, but have never tried a pair on.

Are the cheaper ones from Korea on eBay OK, or should I go the whole hog and pay for Nike or 2XU stuff?

P.S. It's not the compression I'm after, it's the warmth, versus loose trackies.

Last edited:
I have a couple of pairs:
Skins brand half leg
Slazenger half leg
Slazenger full leg
Slazenger short sleeve top

You pay for what you get. My skins are top quality where as the slazenger ones are ok. It's all in the stiching apparently.

If your just using them for warmth, just go with whatever is cheapest.

I'm after some for outdoor football training, but have never tried a pair on.

Are the cheaper ones from Korea on eBay OK, or should I go the whole hog and pay for Nike or 2XU stuff?

P.S. It's not the compression I'm after, it's the warmth, versus loose trackies.

Yeah I use mine for footy training and like you only for warmth when its so friggin cold training this time of year.

I have used some of the cheaper brands and never found any of them to any good. Got a pair of skins a couple years ago. Heaps more expensive than the others but lasted much much longer.

The puma cat tights work well and should last you ages. They are aniti-microbial too so they won't get a permanent stink either. Great for keeping warm when you have to train outdoors (or even indoors) in winter.

I don't believe they (Pumas or any other brand) assist in recovery though, I think that's rubbish.

Warm yes. Performance enhancing no. Improve recovery? No way. So many factors affect recovery, like diet, sleep, warming up, warming down, massage, supplements, ice baths etc. Wearing tights does nothing for recovery!!

i wear them for cycling , a cheapo no name brand , i can feel the difference in the legs when i don't wear them
i mainly brought them for warmth but the added benefit is great , going to get a short sleeve top next

Studies have shown that compression gear can have benefits (Sports Coach :: Compression garments: Do they influence athletic performance and recovery?) I put it down to the placebo effect

Cheers mate, interesting link. There might be more to it than I thought with regards to enhancing performance (like a full body knee wrap) and improving recovery through increased veinous flow.

Interesting to note though that the pressure needs to be pretty precise, so each person would pretty much need taylor made compression gear otherwise it would be useless and or counter productive.

Ive got black tights and a black long sleeve shirt and apart from helping me look like a cat burglar and feel warm and fuzzy I certainly haven't noticed any increases in my squats or running times.

It would be hard to measure the improvements in recovery too. Do the subects rate their soreness on a scale of 1 to 10? There would be so many other factors affecting this let alone trying to actually quantify the difference made. Eg. i feel half as sore as I normally would, or I felt 5% less sore. Or Im ready to workout 3 hours earlier than usual...and all I had to do was wear the gear for 3 days after my workout - how much gear do they expect you to buy?

I know Nike even had a compression beanie/scull cap for a while...really?

One thing I know is that it's a multi-million dollar industry just in Australia and so Im not surprised there are studdy's showing that it works.

The compression tights (whether they be skins or whatever) only work for recovery if they are very tight i.e you need someones help to get them on (fine if you have a girlfriend or wife - not so good if you have to ask your mates). If they are tight and you sleep in them overnight (prepared to be laughed at by girlfriend or wife lots) they will make quite a significant difference to your recovery (no your squat wont dramatically increase 10% overnight but you will be able to train hard the next day without the usual aches and pains assuming you are training hard enough in the first place). Do not wear them whilst you train this will have no effect on recovery nor will just wearing them for an hour or so after training.

I have a pair of 2XU Elite compression tights. I love them for running and use them exclusively for that. I've had a couple of running injuries in the past and I find these are great, particularly for keeping the circulation going in the colder weather. I think they're really comfortable although a lot of people find them awkward.
My reaction when I tried them on the first time was "I feel like a pogo stick, all springy". In a very good way.
I would recommend them. The fabrics are very high tech. Not sure about the cheaper ones.