• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lower back pain/pulling deadlift injury

staunch308

I was deadlifting about 2 weeks ago and injured my lower back; it isn't sharp pain but it feels like a pulling/stretching sort of pain when I pivot my torso 45 degrees onwards.

reason why it was the deadlifts was that I was not using my legs fully and most likely was arching as I was pulling it up from the ground.

plan on seeing the physio this week to get it checked out, then once its all good to go I want to get into the ptc routine again properly but making sure my deadlifts and squats are perfect when it comes to form.

Last edited:
When I deadlift I have my lower back pushed inwards and my shoulders back, like this;

\ shoulders pulled back
|
) lower back in
( ass out

so yeah back was rounding as I know I wasn;t using my legs but my lower back to get it up, it wasnt that I couldnt use my legs I think it was laziness on the form.

Last edited:
how is this goin for you mate, what did you do to help fix it, i feel like i have the same sort of thing.

Physio that i saw thought it was due to misaligned pelvis

Gain some weight, at over 6 foot you shouldn't be weighing any less than 100 kg. I say this because in my view extra weight helps to serve almost as padding for your bones and joints. This is why leaner lifters generally tend to run into more injuries than slightly fatter ones.

If you are going to deadlift with a round back make sure you have the erector and abdominal musculature to support it.

I hurt my lower back doing a heavy a squat and leaning forward in the lift, left it for 2 weeks, got better, than did it again rounding my back with dead lifts. So I know how ya feel.

Question with after-deadlifts-pain. I have been increasing weights each time as per SS program, and have got to the point where I can comfortably do the 1 x 5 using the weights at the previous 2 weeks (hung in there longer to perfect technique), now when I added 2.5kg each way (5kg in total) in yesterdays workout, I deadlifted 120kg for 3 reps and it strained my back. Its not a major pain, but its noticeably tender and tight and I will bring it up with my physio. Do you guys get this often? I bet its a technique issue, even though I pay a lot of attention to prevent my back rounding out. Do you think it could be the lower back muscles not developed enough to take the extra weight, hence overloading the spine?

LOL, i just looked at this thread yesterday.. did the same thing..
seemed to be rounding due to lack of lower back strength (couldn't hold locked in position)..
actually, thought it was lower back, but rolling glutes today reduced pain a lot.. so maybe not actually lower back?

I keep reminding myself to get vids, I train by myself most of the time so its hard to get one done. I will though because I want to find out the cause to prevent it from happening again.. I am thinking maybe its because I cannot hold it in the locked position, especially during the descent. Pre existing issue, thats an interesting one. Where its painful (when I bend over, put socks on etc), is the same spot for when my lower back plays up, so that could be a factor for sure.

Last edited:
What muscle group is my weakest link if I find the initial liftoff, (the first 2-3 inches), the hardest? After I get the bar off the ground it gets much easier.

What muscle group is my weakest link if I find the initial liftoff, (the first 2-3 inches), the hardest? After I get the bar off the ground it gets much easier.

I thought it was hamstrings for first half of pull, could be mistaken :p

I've been doing UDLs, never felt upper leg muscles doms as bad as what I did (hammies, inner thighs,plus glutes). If my initial pull was stronger I would dead 5kg more minimum on my PB.