• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cardio.

What does everybody here do to improve cardio?
THE 100 burpees thread seems to be the best way.
But does anyone do anything else on the side?
I need like constant explosive cardio.
any ideas would be great.

Kettlebell complexes
BB complexes
Skipping/sprints/burpees circuits.
Tyre flips
Car pulls
Squats that go over 5 reps :D

This is what we do at PTC anyway.

what happened to old school running, its free, can do it anywhere, anytime, u can make it as intense as you like... suppose its not flashy enough

not this running burns muscle while touching weights makes you bulky and slow crap

ps. nothing against the exercises you suggested

Last edited:
can i just add that elite distance runners run long distances as fast as some people sprint, so where the sprint becomes a run thing is kind of dodgy dont you think?

not this running burns muscle while touching weights makes you bulky and slow crap

ps. nothing against the exercises you suggested

No one has said it yet. Seems like your bringing it up to start a fight.

I'll bite.

Running is fucking hard on my knees. 90kg bouncing on one leg, and the fact I amongst most people run like gumbies it's not practical. The only reason I go for a jog is because its related to my work. I'd rather do farmers walks and sprints then arduous running.

No one has said it yet. Seems like your bringing it up to start a fight.

I'll bite.

Running is fucking hard on my knees. 90kg bouncing on one leg, and the fact I amongst most people run like gumbies it's not practical. The only reason I go for a jog is because its related to my work. I'd rather do farmers walks and sprints then arduous running.

Agreed, I do some long running for footy training and I fucking hate it. So boring and it always fucks up my knees and ankles. I would never bother with running longer distances if it wasn't for footy. There are so many better forms of cardio.

Cardio is cardio as long as you get the heart rate up imo. Just do what ever you enjoy. Me personally, I play a few different sports. (Assuming you are doing cardio for cardiac benefits, if its for weight loss or some other reason then cardio isn't necessarily needed).

In regards to running and pain/injury, the correct technique is important just as it is with performing squats. Bad technique magnifies knee stress massively in both. With running, often heel striking (common and bad) is self taught from wearing running shoes with a thick heal.

can i just add that elite distance runners run long distances as fast as some people sprint, so where the sprint becomes a run thing is kind of dodgy dont you think?

You could also argue that pro lifters rep what u max in lift.. whats your point. The benefits of sprinting/running aren't measured by a benchmark speed like 28km/hr, just an individual persons effort% over a certain period of time.
(not having a dig at you or your lifts just the logic)

Cheers sticky
With BB complexes do you only use a predetermined weight, or do you use whatever you can handle.
In requards to sprints, What distance do you work with or does it difer when you focusing on different types of training'?
how is PTC bris coming along anyway?

The gym is coming along very well thanks mate.

For sprints, we use distances between 20-100m, but normally around the 30m mark.

As for complexes, just use the same weight, but time it.
For example with 40kg;
SLDL x 10
row x 10
F squat x 10
Hang clean x 10
push press to back squat x 10
Repeat 3 times.

Say that takes you 10 minutes. Try and get 9:30 next time you try.

Steve did a KB complex last week which was;
20kg kb thrusters x 15
32kg kb cannonballs x 15
64kg Ukranian deadlifts x 15
12kg KB clean and press x 15
20kg swings x 15

Repeat 2 times without stopping.

It would be VERY difficult add weight to this complex and still get it done without stopping. It took a little over 10 minutes, next time he will aim for 10 flat

heres a guy today i put on a simple MMA kettlebell conditioning complex i gave him 45 second rest in between.. Then got him to do box jumps.. By the end he was sweating yet feeling energetic

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4WFn-qqvkE"]YouTube - ‪PTC Sydney - Andrew Conditioning Kettlebell‬‏[/ame]

he boxed jumped x 10 rounds holding a 7kg medicine ball builds explosive leg power yet also controls core muscles

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UtmzGFzaJ0"]YouTube - ‪PTC Sydney - Andrew Conditioning box jumps with 7kg medicine ball‬‏[/ame]

Running is a great form of cardio as you can get your heart rate up and keep it relatively constant there for a sustained period of time. It's also a great way to burn heaps of calories and generally tone your body as it not only involves toughening your legs up but also requires using your core, shoulders, back etc to be switched on

It improves the ability of the heart to be able pump blood around the body to deliver nutrients to muscles, as well as the ability of the lungs to oxygenate that blood for sustained periods.

Most people on here though don't really seem to care about that though, they are only interested in cardio as a means of losing fat so their muscles look more defined, or to cut weight to fit into a weight class, rather than as a part of allround fitness.

People who don't run also seem to believe that running for long periods burns muscle and so makes you weaker, and insist on relatively short, intense bursts of running or resistance training which seeks to burn fat in recovery more than as an energy source.

Last edited:
Distance runner, or sprinter............

Ill let you decide which one you want to look like.

marathoner_sprinter2.jpg

I do:
mma training
kb's
bb complexes
various tabatas
weighted carries
elliptical (while watching tv :p)
hill sprints

Used to do a fair bit of running but not that into it anymore. Although, there is usually plenty of "scenery" out near the beach near my way so that is always an incentive :)