• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much cardio is enough?

staunch308

Want to throw some cardio in with my training,

i originally planned to do abs+cardio on tuesdays and thursdays so twice a week, with 30 minutes cardio after the ab workout. il be going for a run, fast jogging intensity.

reckon its enough?

Last edited:
lol nah i get puffed out way to easily and nothing but positive things for the heart come from it, yeah il burn a few extra calories thats no biggie

my goals not to lose fat, just general fitness

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWIaCBGnr40]YouTube - ‪PTC Sydney - Christian circuit/conditioning work‬‏[/ame]

personally, and I know others will disagree, but I think running/jogging is the only way to get decent abs. Sure isolation abs work will get you the nugget abs, but if you want a toned aesthetic midsection, do some sprints. Farmers walks and sleds like Christian's vid will also do a lot.

Just do 15-20 min of conditioning between your days off or 10 min after your workouts..
I've personally found..conditioning increases your recovery and gpp.. not just lose weight.. I'm ready to go much quicker after doing 90% weighted 5/3/1 sets compared to when not doing any conditioning/hiit

Plus now I can walk 50m without getting a heart attack from woolies

For GPP you should just do the minimum required to allow you to do whatever it is you want to do at the best of your ability. This will be different for a powerlifter, bodybuilder, sports player, gym rat etc

For GPP you should just do the minimum required to allow you to do whatever it is you want to do at the best of your ability. This will be different for a powerlifter, bodybuilder, sports player, gym rat etc

Good point oni.. they say a great coach can sense how much gpp is needed for different athletes.. do u think their is a cookie cutter rule of thumb?

I just have a one off template for the beginners atm..

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Well Wendler has GPP recommendations for powerlifters in his 5/3/1 for powerlifting book. I'd probably go with that if you're a powerlifter, bodybuilder or gym rat. As for other things, just keep increasing the volume of GPP until you no longer get a benefit from the increased volume. Personally for GPP (excluding cycling) I just do 400m sprint intervals once a week. I find squat day to be the best day for this

I think 20 minutes are enough for the cardio and it is sufficient and also fantastic for the health because our purpose is not to make our self tired.

Yeh I reckon its enough, if its High intensity, 30min is plenty. I have just started doing 100m sprints with a tire sled i made with a 20kg plate bolted in it. I do that on off days for 30min, tues/thurs/sat/sun.

Hi staunch308,
As you have planned with fast jogging intensity so I think 30 minutes will be enough in the beginning but do increase your distance/mileage with the time for better results.
nutritionist san antonio

Last edited: