• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Iron edge rep challenge results

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
"MEN
Squat 1.5 x bw + 20kg
Bench bw + 20kg
Dead 2 x bw + 20kg
C&PP bw + 20kg
UDL 80kg KB

WOMEN
Squat bw + 10kg
Bench 75% bw + 10kg
Dead 1.5 x bw + 10kg
C&PP 75% bw + 10kg
UDL 64kg KB

Comp has been run and won, some unbelievable lifting, but first I want to thank Rick at Ironedge.

Without his generosity and vision, this comp would not have happened.

Ironedge sposored and provided the entire $4000 purse. This has made a huge difference to a couples life.

Now the lifting. We went lightest competitor to heaviest, so the 3 girls went first. Its pretty safe to say they blew the competition open in the first event, the squat.

We had 3 girls and 9 men. This is tough comp. Nick was the heaviest competitor at 106kg, it was going to be a monumental task for him.

To demonstrate what a tough comp this was, Alen did the most reps from the mens side, he got 13.

The girls went

Taylor 36
Amy 31
Nina 26
------------
Alen 13
Brian 10
John 9
Pierre 8
Michael 8
Adam 8
Nick 7
Will 1
Wayne 0

Game over? Maybe. Next was the bench

Taylor 16
Nina 14
Will 12
John 10
Alen 7
Brian 7
Adam 7
Amy 6
Pierre 5
Nick 4
Michael 3
Wayne 2

Looking good for the girls, next was deadlift

Taylor 19
Amy 15
Nina 14
------------
Alen 8
Pierre 8
Brian 7
Adam 6
Nick 3
Will 2
Michael 2
Wayne 1
John 1

Doesnt look to good for the fellas, another clean sweep for the chicks. Now the C&PP/J

Amy 16 (not a typo)
Nina 6
Adam 3
Alen 1
Taylor 1
Nick 0
Will 0
Pierre 0
Wayne 0
John 0
Michael 0
Brian 0

Chance for the guys to close the gap on UDL's

Nick 62
Pierre 50
Alen 46
Wayne 42
Will 36
Brian 35
Amy 34
Taylor 30
John 30
Nina 27
Michael 25
Adam 25

When it was all said and done

1st Amy - 112- $2000
2nd Taylor - 111 - $1000
3rd Nina - 97 - $500
4th Alen - 85 - $250
5th Nick - 76 - $150
6th Pierre - 71 - $100

7th Adam - 59
8th Brian - 59
9th Will - 51
10th John - 50
11th Wayne - 45
12th Michael - 38

Pics and vids to follow.

A competitor commented on the calibre of the girls lifting today. This was not weighted towards the girls, its just these girls are exceptional lifters.

Amy is the #1 ranked female Crossfitter, Taylor is the greatest powerlifter in Australian History, and Nina has a dozen national records and 4 world records, but much prefers high rep lifting.

There are guys who may have split the girls up, but you cant win watching.

Amy is hoping to win Nats at Crossfit later this year, and then make the trip to Worlds. She is struggling for funds.

Thanks to Ricks generosity, she will have an easier time of it now.

Thanks to Sean, Jack, Grahaeme, G and Spiros for spotting and loading, as well as keeping score

Thank you to all the competitors who had a go at this tough comp

Thanks to the spectators who cheered everyone on, hope to see everyone back at the next on"

Was good fun to watch.
That crossfit chick was a freakshow

Well if you consider Amy had to squat 70kg ish and Nick 100 kg more it's a bit hard :p

But yes, we had this discussion y/day and came to the conclusion women, particularly mothers, have a higher pain tolerance and therefore can push out a few extra reps when most guys couldnt.

A lot of scientists suggest within a few years women will be beating guys in Marathons. I think the English channel swim has only been done by women as well? Though I'm not 100% sure.
These may have more to do with high % of fat stores though

Interesting that. Most girls I know have little pain tolerance.

Nice lifting by all.

Cheers Graerm for posting.

yeh, they did it on mythbusters. girls vs boys, it was pretty even apart form the women who had given birth. they had to hold their hands in ice water for as long as they could.

ive also heard stories about women who have given birth doing VO2 max test and the instructor asking them how hard it is and they say 8/10 when they are going flat out and should be at a 10.

images

My theory is it's only mothers who have reasonable tolerances
All the teenage, early 20s girls I know are wimps lol
Well my partner has pumped out 2 kids and is a big wuss when it comes to pain and my teenage daughter is even worse, she will want to elevate a stubbed toe for a week. My 5 year old son on the other hand doesnt seem to be bothered by big knocks and falls so it really is swings and roundabouts as everyones different.

There's a couple of photos on the ProRaw forum.
Unfortunately I can't link to there from here.

There were quite a few vids taken on peoples phones which I'm sure will get uploaded at some stage to the PTC YouTube channel

Wasn't Max gonna dominate this one.
Thought I saw past posts about him specifically training for the event.

There's a couple of photos on the ProRaw forum.
Unfortunately I can't link to there from here.

There were quite a few vids taken on peoples phones which I'm sure will get uploaded at some stage to the PTC YouTube channel
You can post the pics here without linking them.

nice lifting.

girls were always better at endurance wernt they?

Females can't recruit the same percentage of their muscle fibres as men in a single lift so their 10RM will be closer to their 1RM than a male with the same 1RM.

How on earth does that prove women have better endurance? Take a man and a woman at the same weight. In the squat, the man has to do 0.5xBW + 10kg more than the woman does. That's a shitload of kg. I'm a light-middleweight at 83kg and at my BW that's a minimum 52kg difference. When you think about the ability to lift relative to BW, the heavier you are, the more disadvantaged you are. That's proven in all strength sports. Add those two factors together and you can't conclude that female lifters have better endurance here, as they're dealing with a much lighter load, even relative to their own BW.

Take nothing away from the female lifters here, they did exceptionally well and only played by the rules, but I think the rules inadvertently favour women over men in this one.

Take nothing away from the female lifters here, they did exceptionally well and only played by the rules, but I think the rules inadvertently favour women over men in this one.

It certainly appears that way based on the results.
All 3 women beat all 9 males.

The winning female was an elite crossfit athlete.
Would be good to see the results of an elite male crossfit competitor for a fair comparison.

Max was going to compete but started OL and is enjoying that.

Amy's Fiance is a mate of mine and both have competed on the world stage for crossfit. He didn't compete as he couldn't do the bench or deadlift.

It certainly appears that way based on the results.
All 3 women beat all 9 males.

The winning female was an elite crossfit athlete.
Would be good to see the results of an elite male crossfit competitor for a fair comparison.

A couple of (male) spectators who were unable to compete had a chat to Markos. They worked out at least one of them would have easily gotten 10 or so reps more than Amy even without being able to do one of the events
As it was put on the day: not the rules but the quality of the female lifters determined the outcome

A lot of scientists suggest within a few years women will be beating guys in Marathons. I think the English channel swim has only been done by women as well? Though I'm not 100% sure.
These may have more to do with high % of fat stores though

Hate to burst your bubble but both of these are entirely untrue. Women will never run a marathon as fast as men, and more men have swum the english channel than women, and faster too.

As it was put on the day: not the rules but the quality of the female lifters determined the outcome

If the women were made to squat 1.5xBW +20kg, and do the rest the same as the men, do you think the women would still win?

How can anyone say that the rules didn't determine the outcome with a straight face? The men would be lifting, at the same bodyweight, between 16-55kg more in each lift than the women. Since the men were significantly heavier on average, that translates to even bigger differences in each lift. Did you all fail maths at school? They weren't on even playing ground at all.