• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Rotator cuff impingement/strains

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
Alright, I haven't mentioned it too much before but I have pretty average shoulders that are inclined to impinge quite regularly and without warning - mainly doing bench press and upright rows (I no longer ever do the latter)
I've tried a few different things but it seems that whenever my shoulders are quite in a semi vulnerable position it flares up quite substantially, particularly if the joint is already quite tight
Point in case - pretty sure I strained a rotator cuff in my right shoulder pulling cables today at work. The cables fell off the cable tray, I caught them and basically it twisted my shoulder in the same manner that you'd do horizontal internal rotation (standing, elbow by side at right angle, move hand in) loading up the external rotators and bang, can barely move my right shoulder, cant do a front raise without grimacing (lateral not so bad), my anterior delt region is ridiculously tender if I poke around/try to massage and underneath my rear delt to the outside is also quite tight and tender
Anyway, my question is first - course of action in short term (I know most with say see a physio, and I'll probably be seeing mine at Melb Uni fairly soon anyway) but any general advice would be most welcome. Secondly is any preventative measures I can undertake to avoid this happening in the future - mainly dynamic strengthening exercises as opposed to rotator cuff isolation exercises

Short answer - internal / external rotation exercises with a band.

Impingement occurs most commonly because supraspinatus is too strong relative to your other 3 RC muscles.

Do internal / external rotation exercises with a band religiously morning and evening and you'll create more room within the glenohumeral joint and fix the impingement.

Cool beans :)
I *think* I've also got weak traps/rhomboids. Worth doing more isolationy/specific exercises for them like scap pulls etc?

Always. Use the same band you'll use for the RC stuff and do band pull-aparts.
Grip the band with both hands, arms straight out in front of your shoulders. Pull band apart without letting your arms bend. Imagine 'pinching' something between your shoulder blades. Get a friend to put his fingers there to make sure you feel the pinching sensation. 3 sets of 15.

If you can perform a legitimate 20+ of that movement with the black, you probably aren't lacking in trap / rhomboid activation.
If those muscles are under-developed, i'd focus on the first two of my rowing movements being horizontal stuff at mid-chest height, go a little lighter and work on squeezing the shoulder blades together at the peak of your contraction.

Cheers. Im always worried about proper back activation cos I very very rarely get DOMs (though my job requires a fair amount of pulling and lifting stuff off the ground)
Might go back to my 2:1 pull:press ratio as well as doing my pulls before my presses :)
Don't think I'll be doing anything the next week though with ye olde shoulder