• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Chronic Back Pain

cksa361

Chronic lower back pain. Haven't squatted or deadlifted in 8 weeks. Pain still there. Not very sharp pain, the pain itself is not the problem, i just want to be able to squat and deadlift soon.

Any good physios in sydney that ppl recommend for this sort of stuff?

What can i do in the mean time? Would fish oil supplements help?

Thanks.

Mate if its been 8 weeks and u have not seen anyone about it go asap...

Could be anything from tight muscles (need to stretch) to a slightly slipped disc....u need to go and see someone though because the problem may not just go away...

when it comes to your back don't fuck around go get that shit looked at

While I agree with the other guys that you need to get it looked at don't be surprised if they can't pinpoint the problem.

I have spent heaps of money at docs, physios and chiros and none were ever able to give me a answer to were my back pain was coming From.

All the various stretching I was told to do made it much worse. The one thing that fixed it for me was back raises but it doesn't work for everyone.

Very true Bazza - alot of them time they cant find the problem or come up with a def answer to the prob but I feel its always best to see what a professional thinks and then go from there and not just trying to fix the problem yourself.

I do not think fish oil will fix the problem btw.

I Agee, definitely needs to go see someone first. It may be something simple. But back pain is a pain in the arse to diagnose whats causing it.

I agree about the fish oil. Never noticed anything with it, back pain or joint pain. Glucosamine was the same, never did anything.

Fish oil reduces inflammation. It isn't a wonder drug...

If the pain is mechanical fish oil will reduce inflammation but the problem will still be there.

Fish oil reduces inflammation. It isn't a wonder drug...

If the pain is mechanical fish oil will reduce inflammation but the problem will still be there.

What do you mean if the pain is mechanical?

I will go see my local physio tomorrow.

Update.

Multiple trips to doctors and physio. Got x-rays done. Discoveries include: No herniated disc. I have an extra vertebrae (L6). Normal disc height except between L6 and S1, which is slightly reduced. Physio said one of my discs is bulging out and hitting the nerves and that's why i get very mild dull pain radiating outwards from there.

He's shown me an exercise (lie on stomach, push upper body up with hands so that back is "over" arching) to fix the bulging disc.

He also says to get rid of squats and deadlifts forever :mad:

As for a bit of background. I am 74kg. Bit of a beginner weight trainer, mainly olympic lifting. Powercleaning and jerking 80kg. Squats were terrible, and I believe i had bad form when i am right down to the bottom. And yes, my squats were so terrible that i could powerclean 80kg with ease but not even do a full 80kg clean. My lower back would just round when i caught it at the bottom.

Any advice to fix bulging discs apart from visiting physio? What should i do in the coming weeks to strengthen up my back muscles..etc and make sure discs don't bulge again? When would I be able to squat again? Well now that I know, I really am going to take my squat form seriously, but it seems so difficult to get the flexibility to do a great form squat rock bottom :(

See osteopath or a sports physio...

My dr the other day told mento not lift weights and to get strong on a treadmill..

Update.

He's shown me an exercise (lie on stomach, push upper body up with hands so that back is "over" arching) to fix the bulging disc.
(

I fucking hate that exercise with a passion. I went to a physio with a knee injury. I hadn't had back pain for 2 years, physio told me my back was tight and to do the stretch you mentioned. All it did was fuck my back so that I could hardly walk for 2 weeks.

I am wary of any doc or physio that just blanket bans squats or deads. They are a easy target for them, it usually means they don't know what the problem is so blame it on deadlifts and squats.