• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Olympic Plate Loading Pins

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
This is both a question and a suggestion!

I know that Markos has introduced the UDL to a lot of us. But KBs can be pretty expensive. Anyway, on YouTube I saw some people using a loading pin and a cable attachment which I thought was a pretty good idea.

Which leads me to my question -
Can you get plate loading pins in Australia? I know Iron Mind sell them but they quoted for $75 or something stupid like that for shipping alone on a $52 product.
Alternatively, would it be that difficult to make one out of steel threaded rod that was ~45mm diameter?

If I im understanding you correctly, are you trying to make a KB?
If you are, I made my own when i was strapped.

An adjustable KB kinda yeah, specifically for UDLs

Like the one in this video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9apSDlTn-MA]YouTube - Ukrainian Deadlift[/ame]

I know that Markos has introduced the UDL to a lot of us. But KBs can be pretty expensive. Anyway, on YouTube I saw some people using a loading pin and a cable attachment which I thought was a pretty good idea.

Can you get plate loading pins in Australia? I know Iron Mind sell them but they quoted for $75 or something stupid like that for shipping alone on a $52 product.
Alternatively, would it be that difficult to make one out of steel threaded rod that was ~45mm diameter?

I made one myself. Found a T section piece of inch metal pipe laying around by chance. Cut to the right length. Had some old standard size 10kg weights that I had laying around. Mine will fit up to 120kg of 10kg plates then attach a couple clamps and tighten to hold the weighs on.

I made one, I was good for around 70kg
I got an old adjustable dumbbell handle (standard size) and got a triangle welded to one of the spin locks. That cost me $25. Lasted around 1500 reps before the handle snapped from hitting the ground too often.
I looked very much the same as the one in your vid, except I had 2 stacks of weights. Imagine a dumbell on its side, then a triangle on the top.

Ghetto spec, but it worked well.

All good. Got a PM from someone saying they had a standard loading pin lying around. Would prefer Olympic but I've got some standard plates at home, and there's always heaps on eBay anyway

We made one, around 140kg.

Its in one of my vids

Felt NOTHING like a KB, was much easier, we pulled it apart and simply did more reps with the 64kg KB

The 80kg is dirt cheap, will last forever, especially with you Graheame, why fuck around

A KB feels VERY different to a pin.

Why not just DL off blocks Grhaeame, save your money, feels the same as pin

KB for the win

$200 for the 80, then 180 or whatever it is for the 64 etc etc vs $20 for a cable attachment, a 30 minute car ride to get the pin and maybe $50 for some standard plates off eBay if I don't have enough at home
A UDL is a UDL regardless of whether it's done with a KB, a rock or whatever else you can think of doing it with
And deadlifting that high off blocks just sounds awkward lol though I've never tried it

Clearly Grahghghgam you have never deadlifted an 80kg KB and an 80kg pin.

I was merely giving you an opinion from someone who has.

I have 2 Olympic size pins at PTC that dont get used.

If they were any good, do you not think I would be using them?

Do you think I would allow lifters to use less weight when I have a heavier option available?

Maybe I should get my PT ticket, then I can be smart like you and give opinions without trying something first.

Anyone that has lifted a 64kg KB can attest to the fact that it is MUCH harder than a 64kg BB on deadlifts.

Brains.

Invaluable.

Agreed,

The hand positioning for starters I feel changes te game.

Also the location of the weight to your hands.. It's just below where the pin sort of hangs straight.

I only have Upto a 40kg but I can tell you it feels very different to a bb loaded to 40kg

My question are you are looking to improve strength or trying to develop a level of "athleticism"?

Bit of both. It's not just for me either. Not sure how's that's relevant either. You always speak in riddles :p

Clearly Grahghghgam you have never deadlifted an 80kg KB and an 80kg pin.

I was merely giving you an opinion from someone who has.

I have 2 Olympic size pins at PTC that dont get used.

If they were any good, do you not think I would be using them?

Do you think I would allow lifters to use less weight when I have a heavier option available?

Maybe I should get my PT ticket, then I can be smart like you and give opinions without trying something first.

Anyone that has lifted a 64kg KB can attest to the fact that it is MUCH harder than a 64kg BB on deadlifts.

Brains.

Invaluable.

I'm coming to visit you on Friday so I can give it a go then. And I know I haven't tried it, that's why I'm going to
Right now I don't have the money or the need to go out and buy bigger KBs. My mums arent that strong . . . Yet :p

I have no doubt that a pin, KB, BB and trap bar all feel completely different. It probably sounded like I was trying to replicate a KB with the pin, which isn't what I'm trying to do. Just after something that can be used for UDLs

I don't believe I talk in riddles, maybe you don't think about the question.

Walk, crawl run.
First master the BB dead-lift, I don't know why people need to complicate things, I don't know why I bother contributing to this forum.

Your contribution to the forum is for people like me who don't have training logs because they just lift a barbell each week, eat, sleep and repeat. I don't have any questions because most of you oldfuks have answered them. Have faith, keep posting.