• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cholesterol tests

pistachio

Amongst other tests, had my cholesterol levels tested this week.

The results don't look that good....

Cholesterol:
Total 6.7
HDL 1.9
LDL 4.5
Triglycerides 0.7

Should I be concerned? My diet has been less than clean the last few months, so I am cleaning it up considerably (started on Monday).

My cholesterol level was only 4 about 3 years ago (but I was 20kgs lighter too....).

yeah mine isnt good either

doc told me i should stop drinking milk and eating so much protein and to start following the food pyramid then charged me $70 for his 5 minutes of expert advice

but seriously as long its not terrible and you are feeling great just dont worry about it

As long as hdl is up and triglycerides are lower it's fine IF your homocystine is low and your diet is full of antioxidants and good fats.

yeah mine isnt good either

doc told me i should stop drinking milk and eating so much protein and to start following the food pyramid then charged me $70 for his 5 minutes of expert advice

but seriously as long its not terrible and you are feeling great just dont worry about it

i see you have the same amount of respect for some doctors as i do :D

i do feel fine and there were no other problems with any of the other tests, so hopefully its not a problem. none-the-less, i'm going to clean bulk from here on out.

As long as hdl is up and triglycerides are lower it's fine IF your homocystine is low and your diet is full of antioxidants and good fats.

well that's just the thing, the HDL isn't that great, 1.9 vs 4.5 LDL. i thought it was all good until i realised that LDL is the bad one :S

i have plenty of fruit and veg in my diet, not sure if i should keep up the 10L of milk a week tho...

I think that is just way too much milk.. try to keep to 150-250ml per day and if possible substitute for rice/almond or if you really need high protein then some good soy milk as dairy has alot of saturated (bad) fat in it.

You can probably try reducing eggs to 2-3 per week ( they contain cholesterol ) . Increase your fibre intake and try to eat more legumes and beans throughout the day. Have oats for breakfast. and try to have red meak 4-5 times per week and fish for 2. Also dont forget the 5 and 2 for vege and fruit per day! Otherwise the dr might have a chat to you about a class of drugs known as statins, they low cholesterol.

I think that is just way too much milk.. try to keep to 150-250ml per day and if possible substitute for rice/almond or if you really need high protein then some good soy milk as dairy has alot of saturated (bad) fat in it.

You can probably try reducing eggs to 2-3 per week ( they contain cholesterol ) . Increase your fibre intake and try to eat more legumes and beans throughout the day. Have oats for breakfast. and try to have red meak 4-5 times per week and fish for 2. Also dont forget the 5 and 2 for vege and fruit per day! Otherwise the dr might have a chat to you about a class of drugs known as statins, they low cholesterol.

skeptical%20hippo.jpg

Did you get your test checked?

mine was 26nmol/l

i was alot more concerned with hormone levels :p

I thought i was getting them all checked, turned out he didn't proscribe the damn tests. Bit annoying, I was really curious to see they were tracking. That was pretty much the main thing i wanted tested, the cholesterol tests were just incidental.

Did you seriously just recommend soy? For a male?

I thought i was getting them all checked, turned out he didn't proscribe the damn tests. Bit annoying, I was really curious to see they were tracking. That was pretty much the main thing i wanted tested, the cholesterol tests were just incidental.

This makes me really angry. i hope you sexually assaulted his secretary on the way out instead of paying for something you didnt ask for

Wasn't expectin' that, made me fuckin' laugh.

When I was on the Anabolic Diet a billion years ago, I was eating about 2-3kg of rump steak with brocolli drowned in EVOO + 12 eggs daily, without cutting any of the fat off. Had my cholesterol and triglycerides checked after about 10-12 months of eating that way and they where as follows:

Total Chol: 4.3
Triglycerides: 0.6
HDL: 2.5
LDL: 1.5
Ratio: 1.7

Ideally the HDL could've been higher, but other than that pretty bloody good I thought. Not sure if it had anything to do with the lack of carbs apart from weekends, but high levels of saturated fat didn't harm it. None of it was grassfed organic anything, just bought from woolies. Shit, I even bought the cheap homebrand eggs because I went through 'em so quick.

^^^

It all depends on your genetic makeup.

My cholesterol is fucked, no matter what i eat. Maybe i need flora proactive something or other? Or that fake cholesterol lowering cheese?

But in all seriousness check homocysteine its a cheap test, or simply dont test and start b9,b12 inejctions.

What's the cheese made of? Flora Proactive rolled in Uncle Tobies Oats?

Genetics does do it though. No family history what so ever of heart disease or cholesterol problems over here.

This makes me really angry. i hope you sexually assaulted his secretary on the way out instead of paying for something you didnt ask for

Haha, maybe if she wasn't over 100kgs..... lol

When I was on the Anabolic Diet a billion years ago, I was eating about 2-3kg of rump steak with brocolli drowned in EVOO + 12 eggs daily, without cutting any of the fat off. Had my cholesterol and triglycerides checked after about 10-12 months of eating that way and they where as follows:

Total Chol: 4.3
Triglycerides: 0.6
HDL: 2.5
LDL: 1.5
Ratio: 1.7

Ideally the HDL could've been higher, but other than that pretty bloody good I thought. Not sure if it had anything to do with the lack of carbs apart from weekends, but high levels of saturated fat didn't harm it. None of it was grassfed organic anything, just bought from woolies. Shit, I even bought the cheap homebrand eggs because I went through 'em so quick.

thats pretty bloody amazing.

i reckon the maccas/kfc that i have been frequenting a little often is not helping, but i'll cut down the milk as well and have it retested in about 5-6 months.

hopefully the HDL is up and the LDL is down significantly