• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

12 wk challenge help pls

Carly

I've started a 12wk challenge with my gym, 4 weeks into it, so far I've not had the results I want... My nutrition needs improvement I can work on that myself but I don't have a clue on how to go about my training. I have PT twice a week and the rest of the time doing far to much cardio,imo, my trainer doesn't have a prob with it I do...
I'd like to spend a little less time doing cardio and more time with weights but i don't know what to do, how reps, sets etc...was wondering if anyone could give some advice maybe..before pics attached :(
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Look into PTC's Beginner Program or one of the other beginning programs and go from there. It's all really well explained in the Beginners Look here first thread. Good luck.

Is this the challenge where you can only 'win' if you're on a precision nutrition diet?
And tbh I wouldn't be trying to lose too much weight (apologies if this isn't the goal of the challenge) Your abs are already slightly visible which for a girl is at the bottom end of recommended bf% for most women
Otherwise Pistachio's advice is what I'd suggest as well

You have come to the right place... Ask your trainer to teach you. Deadlfits, squats , Bent rows, power cleans, military press bench press...

Then follow the begginer program. If he says its not a good idea because we need to work on your core on the fitball while balancing plates on your head RUN! If he says that will make you look like mr coleman RUN! If he says you need steady state cardio to burn fat RUN!

Post your current diet please

What are your starting terms and what are your goals?
Check out Markos' idea of Cardio:
Okay, my favourite one is called " FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE"

It is a timed event, and you need kettlebells and blocks. Unfortunately most arent going to be able to do this due to lack of equipment.

UDL 64kg KB/32cm block x 10
UDL 56kg KB/25cm block x 10
UDL 48kg KB/22cm block x 10
UDL 40kg KB/15cm block x 10
Thrusters 16kg KB's x 10
Thrusters 12kg KB's x 10
Thrusters 10kg KB's x 10
Thrusters 8kg KB's x 10
Cannonballs 32kg KB x 10
Cannonballs 28kg KB x 10
Cannonballs 24kg KB x 10
Cannonballs 20kg KB x 10

Very, very, very few people will be able to do this in any ammount of time. I have a 6 minute time limit, my best lifters do it in under 4 minutes.

Tabata Thrusters is 4 minutes of sheer hell, google them.

Cannonball run is Cannonballs with 64-56-48-40-32-28-24-20-16-12-10-8kg KB's for 10 reps. A cannonball is a power upright row from the floor to your neck. There are some vids in both PTC videos of Alen in the first and Simon in the second doing Cannonballs with my 64kg KB.

Another one I do is called the effort workout. Squats, bench press, push press and UDL's done in a non stop circuit. Produces most vomit and best results.

A Medley I do is carrying 8 x 20kg plates one at a time a distance of 40m each, sprinting back to each plate. Plenty of complaints with this one lol

We have a 272m RUN. I live in a T Shaped court, from the front of my place we have a line, with 68m sprint to a pole at one end, then 136m sprint the full lengt of the street to the next pole, then 68m sprint back to the start. There are 3 starts, beginning and around each pole. The fit guys do it in just under 50 seconds, the really fit and fast guys do it in 42-45 seconds, and Max does it in 39 seconds.

I have hundereds more, would take all day to write out.

Buffalo girls is another ripper, too complex to put on paper.

Carly you look great, better than most women in gyms

Dont worry about this stupid comp. Learn to train and eat correctly.

Do this consistently over a long period of time and you will be able to look anyway you want to look, forever.

I ran a stupid comp like this at my gym. Waste of time.

think long term, you'll be better off in the long run

Yeah, kind of - metabolic precision, it's a transformation challenge, doing the transformation but I'm also in the 'fitter, faster, stronger' category.
E.g. few of the workouts i've done so far for that
-----------------------------------------------------
•clean & press (girls 25or30or35kg - guys 40or47.5or55kg)
•box jump (must use new black plyo boxes - 18or24or30inch)
•rower level 10 (count cal's as reps).
Stop watch cannot stop between exercises (fast transition a must!). Only 3 rounds. Rest 1min between rounds. Workout takes 11mins!

--------------------------------------------
WOW #3 - Power to the MAX
10 Squats, 10 Bench Press, 10 Deadlifts - RECORD TOTAL LOAD LIFTED IN 30 REPS!
* You have 15mins to lift the most amount of weight you possibly can using the 3 exercises with rep and time limits!
* You can only record 2 reps every minute; a failed rep (ie/ assisted by a spotter, or SHORT range etc) must be coun...ted as ZERO kg and can be re-trialed with a lighter load ONLY if that "minute" has not yet passed!
* you only 5mins on each each exercise (ie/ 5 sets of 2 every minute or 10 sets of 1 every 30sec's - your choice). Exercise order is Squats, Bench, Deadlift!
------------------------------------------

FTC WOW #1- Electric Adventure
For time; 30 push ups, 800m Row, 1.6km tready Inc 2.0, 800m Row, 30 push ups.

There is a new one every week.

Have been really struggling w/the weights

re: the weight my trainer has just said not to really go try dropping any weight till the last 4 week, just b/c I don't have much fat/weight to lose. Can actually see my abs pretty easily in mirror, camera doesn't show much detail... skin fold measurements and I know they're not all that accurate came in at 12% scales say 18%-20.5% changes a lot.

For goals I want to be stronger/look stronger (I used to be very small when I started wmy trainer I was 42k 2yrs ago just over 48 but I still feel weak) .
Still undecided re weight b/c I don’t have that much if any to lose , I put on quite a bit of fat last yr with lack of training and poor nutrition while injured. Another 1.5kg-2kg, I’ve got a photo of myself at that weight and have been told I looked good then. It’s a touchy area for me b/c I’m finding I sometimes feeling small/weak

IOh for what I'm eating I usually do Oats or all bran & mix in protein powder for M1, M2 chopped veggies and cottage cheese OR lady finger banana, M3 chicken or canned salmon salad (still keep doing the using Black Swan dips in my my salads 3-4x a week thats why i say my nutrition isn't that great still), M4 usually ricotta or cottage cheese & protein powder and chopped apple mixed in it, M5 stir fries/chicken and veg/chilli con carne ..Still missing M6, drinking too much coffee, and until recently was eating way too many salted mixed nuts a day, .

Thanks heaps for the links, was looking through the forums trying to find PTC's Beginner Program couldn't see it anywhere thanks. And TLS, yeah that's sounds like the kind of w/o I'm interested in cardio wise - not that interested in the cardio machines atm...

Hope what i posted makes sense .... esp. the goals bit

From what you have said, your changing workouts all the time? You need to progress in the workout, and can't do so changing it all the time

Or at least have some kind of measurable progression ie do a couple of "test" exercise 1-2 times a week you can mark your progress on.

Carly you look great, better than most women in gyms

Dont worry about this stupid comp. Learn to train and eat correctly.

Do this consistently over a long period of time and you will be able to look anyway you want to look, forever.

I ran a stupid comp like this at my gym. Waste of time.

think long term, you'll be better off in the long run

Ive been doing a 12 year comp :D :D

Any tips on how to stop? I wanna get off this treadmill

hm.... 12% bf for a girl is like a guy being at 6%, you should bulk or slow bulk. Lots of food for energy, muscle growth and fast recovery. Also highly recomend you taking christians advice from over the page there. Don't mean to say it but often PT's are dick's who seriously underwork you.
And bulking would go well with your wanting to do resistance training and dropping cardio, just make sure to do all at once, have your form monitored by your PT, and make sure you're being clear to him that you're changing your regime to a bulking regime with little to no cardio and heavy resistance excercises.
If he tries any "your NOT ready to change yet, stick to this one" RUN! cuz he's a dick and he's not listening to you. Or just run away from him in general, he should be the one telling you to do resistance training and not cardio, not the other way around ^^ shouldn't be you having to tell him that.
oh and btw, you look hot :)

Last edited: