• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Chuck Taylors

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
I know a few people on here squat in them. Just wondering on any thoughts/opinions on high top vs low cut.

So
image_3546.jpg

vs
image_3551.jpg

Pros? Cons? And with sizing is it best to go for a snug fit or leave a little room to move?
I was planning to squat/deadlift in volleys but cos they're so flimsy my foot seems to roll a fair bit in them.

If you think a piece of canvas less than a milimetre thick will make or break things support wise then you have issues. That said the hi tops look more badass.

Snug fit defs. Probably the issue with your volleys.

If you think a piece of canvas less than a milimetre thick will make or break things support wise then you have issues. That said the hi tops look more badass.

Snug fit defs. Probably the issue with your volleys.

Yeah my volleys are quite loose. And I don't think they'll make or break me. More just wanted to know if high tops were uncomfy to squat in :p

Going for either the black leather or something from the Rock and Roll collection:
http://bagginsshoes.com/converse-rock-and-roll-shoes.html

Those are exactly the chucks I wear. Hightop = Badassery.

But seriously, footwear while squatting is possibly one of the most unimportant things ever. As long as it's a flat sole, you're money. This is assuming you're not an olympic lifter.

You can get a pair of squat shoes from underground elite for 75 bucks. Its an easy decision in my book.

Those are exactly the chucks I wear. Hightop = Badassery.

But seriously, footwear while squatting is possibly one of the most unimportant things ever. As long as it's a flat sole, you're money. This is assuming you're not an olympic lifter.

I normally squat barefeet so this will potentially be a bit of an upgrade :p

I have hi-tops, they are fine.

Chucks don't offer anywhere near the level of support that the Do-wins do though, so don't expect that.

Have you considered Asics Matfles if you want a flat sole? Maybe ask Dancelot or some of the guys at Melb Uni gym about them.

i squat with my bare feet. personally, i would take high tops but i found using them in past that it cuts circulation to my feet. maybe i tie them up too tight.

I have hi-tops, they are fine.

Chucks don't offer anywhere near the level of support that the Do-wins do though, so don't expect that.

Have you considered Asics Matfles if you want a flat sole? Maybe ask Dancelot or some of the guys at Melb Uni gym about them.

My cousin wears them for boxing
Not as cool as the hi tops though :p
I really just wanted to make sure the hi tops didn't feel strange cos of the hi top bit. Whether it improves my squat much/at all over barefeet is kinda irrelevant at the present moment

Nah they are fine to lift in, I don't find the canvas that supportive so I assume low tops wouldn't be better.

You can always not lace them all the way up.

The sole is great for lifting, will feel heaps better than bare feet.

Asics Matflex is a bit tight laterally, same with other wrestling shoes that the guys at Melb Uni wear. Love it for deadlift, haven't tried squatting in them (they feel like thick socks) but I reckon they'd be OK. If they were but a lil bit wider, they'd be perfect.

Chucks are OK, but I prefer my Adidas Kundo for squat, as the sole is much thinner and harder (meaning I can deadlift better in them too). Chucks when they get a bit used tend to get squishy and tear on the sides (very poor lateral support) so you'd have to replace them more often.

Wrt high top vs low top, I'd say low top is better, as you want nothing to get in the way of ankle mobility. This is why Olympic shoes are designed the way they are (low cut around the ankles).

It all depends on how much this matters to you though. Having flat, hard soled shoes is 95% good enough. The rest is all in your head. :p I just prefer to feel awesome in my shoes and spend a lot on them (as well as hats... but that's another topic).

img56318456.jpg

vn0dz3blk6.jpg

I squat and deadlift in half cabs, good flat vulcanised sole and casual sneaker. If I were to get a pair of chucks it would probably be the high tops though. Vans authentics are another option.

Last edited:
Went to buy some hi top black canvas ones today from General Pants. Didn't have any but I got em to order in a pair. MAY have to go back and tell em to forget it cos I found a Canadian place that sells the Metallica ones in my size :D