• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Increasing vertical leap

Pottsy

Hey guys,

Have been thinking of playing basketball again and was wondering if anyone out there have been involved in any programs that can increase your vertical leap or if you know of any training methods.

Markos im sure you would have a pretty good idea as ive seen a few guys from PTC doing some impressive box jumps.

Im thinking improving my overall squat strength and then concentrating on explosive movements would be the key.

Any help would be appreciated guys
Cheers

Mitch

Squat more, and practice jumping
Also, stretch the f*ck out of your hip flexors

Check out some of Joe DeFrancos stuff. Think he's got an article on his site called dirty tricks for a bigger vertical or something along those lines

I started playing friendly basketball, would love to have a break from playing and go back and be able to dunk and be like BOOM...

But then I am only 183cm :(

I have a long way to go if I tried to dunk...

I can jump about 30cm off the floor currently lol, and my best squat is 80kg 3x8...

Squat and vertical aren't directly related.

I'm 5'9" ish and can grab a ring with too hands without warming up. Can only squat the same as you though ^ (roughly anyway)

Squat heavy. My vertical jumped literally went through the roof and now i can out jump friends 10cm+ taller than me.

Power cleans as well, if you think about it the power clean is pretty much a jump just with weights.

A simple plan to start is work at increasing your squat and dead as well as doing some jumps onto a box and sprints.

Squat and vertical aren't directly related.

I'm 5'9" ish and can grab a ring with too hands without warming up. Can only squat the same as you though ^ (roughly anyway)

Dude I am weighing 90kgs at like 25% bodyfat though...

Your skinny as, I would imagine it relates more so to power:weight ratio.

Yeah obviously that makes a difference :p

Other factors come into play as well, like limb length/levers, achilles length, fast twitch vs slow twitch fibres

Well i went for a muck around the other day and i can dunk with 2 hands off two feet standing under the ring. Thats after a massive break and last time i played i weighed 15kg's lighter. I am 6"3' but.

I think once i finish my strength and bulking cycles ill concentrate on moves more associated to jumping.

Graham i read Joe DeFrancos stuff and got some good ideas off that, thanks mate.

Well i went for a muck around the other day and i can dunk with 2 hands off two feet standing under the ring. Thats after a massive break and last time i played i weighed 15kg's lighter. I am 6"3' but.

I think once i finish my strength and bulking cycles ill concentrate on moves more associated to jumping.

Graham i read Joe DeFrancos stuff and got some good ideas off that, thanks mate.

No worries :)

He deals a fair bit with college ballers, and I always see these massive NFL guys jumping over small buildings so figured he must have some idea what he's talking about :p

Yeah usually a good indication.

Ive been reading and talking a bit about it lately and it appears that with the right training anyone can drastically increase their vertical leap. So hopefully with some training i can get that little bit extra.

1. powerclean
2. squat
3. deadlift

In that order, it works for my boys

Max - 173cm, 125kg@74kg clean, standing jump grabs the ring
Jesse - 172cm, 90kg clean@64kg, grabs the ring, blocked a shot on the backboard yesterday

1. powerclean
2. squat
3. deadlift

In that order, it works for my boys

Max - 173cm, 125kg@74kg clean, standing jump grabs the ring
Jesse - 172cm, 90kg clean@64kg, grabs the ring, blocked a shot on the backboard yesterday

Markos,
What reps and sets would you or do your boys use? Thanks.