• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Am I over training?

AusNino

Hey I'm new here.. I'm 6'4/91kg, 12% body fat.

I sometimes think i may be over training, as I don't get the size/mass results for the amount I eat and also my level of strength and endurance. My routine is as follows;

MONDAY - BACK

4 x sets deadlifts
4 x sets wide grip chin ups (with weight attacthed)
4x sets seated rows
4 x sets close grip pull downs
3 x sets bent over rows

TUESDAY - CHEST

4 x sets bench press
4 x sets chest press
4 x sets dumbell press
4 x sets incline bench
3 x sets dips (body weight)

WEDNESDAY - LEGS

4 x sets squats
4 x sets leg press
4 x sets calves
4 x sets leg extension
4 x sets leg curl

THURSDAY - SHOULDERS

4 x sets dumbell press / shoulder press on smith machine
4 x sets rear delts
4 x sets upright rows
4 x sets side laterals

FRIDAY - ARMS

5 x sets preacher curls
4 x sets tricep pull downs
4 x sets cable curls
4 x sets tricep ropes
3 x sets hammer curls

SUNDAY - (bit of everything)

4 x sets dumbell press
4 x sets wide grip pull downs
4 x sets chest press
4 x sets T-bar machine
3 x sets shoulder press
3 x sets dips

Ive been overseas for 6weeks. Its hard getting back into routine... Ive thought about it... but thats it. Ill get my head around eventually...

A few people in here are over training. But I wonder how many are overtraining.
How long have you been doing that program?
Have you been getting sick, going backwards in weight, getting overstressed?

Reps and intensity? Breaks between sets? ie. 4 sets of DL's at 85% 1rm for 8 reps is obviously going to be more taxing the 4 sets at 85% for 3 reps.

a normal day:

for breakfast; 3 eggs (raw), 500 mL of milk, 3 weet bix, banana, pear/apple

morning tea; 10 almonds, apple

lunch; footlong ham sub or 3 rolls of sushi

afternoon tea; 10 almonds, apple

before gym; protein shake (BSC hydroxy), sandwhich or salad

after gym; protein shake (bsc hydroxy)

dinner; some form of meat and vegtables/rice

before bed; 190g tin of salmon, glass of milk, piece of fruit.

2-3 litres of water a day also.

i;ve been training for almost 2 years now (few breaks in those 2 years though). i've been on this current program since janurary...

i normally do 2 heavy sets (3-6 reps) and 2 light sets (10-15 reps)

the intensity is normally high. most workouts i finish up with 5-10 minutes high intensity cardio and abs workout too...

i also do roughly 300-400 pushups a week if i feel like doing them when i'm bored... if you guys can clarify if i'm doing anything wrong from this it would be muchly appreciated. cheers

PS. saturday is my rest day. i do nothing physically challenging and i do my best to keep my nutrition up on a saturday. although i allow for 2-3 indulgences on a saturday

Last edited:
A split routine might not suit you, your body still needs to recover.

One rest day including indulgence is specious at best.

You need to re-asses.

You young blokes cannot eat your way out of overtraining.
The workout is key.

Why do you say that? Why is it specific to young blokes?

I've never been in a state of overtraining, I don't think I'm strong enough to unless I deliberately wanted to. But everytime gains slowed down another litre or two of milk and ensuring I got at least 8 hours of sleep (instead of between 6 and 8) for a week or two has gotten me over any plateaus.

More often than not you see a young bloke do marathon workouts like the one listed in this thread and wonder why gains stall, the reaction is to over eat.

Less is more.

Every workout is full body as far as the recovery system is concerned and most likely this person is in a continual overtrained state.
Sleep and food will not get him out of this overtrained state.

If you work hard for 30 minutes, your body requires 48hours recovery.

Whilst I doubt he's overtrained (using the clinical term - lethargy, lack of appetite, feeling sick, etc) he's probably doing too much to recover enough to make any gains.

I still think you can eat your way through some things, but you're right in that you just need to give your body enough time to recover.

thanks for all your advice.

i've been thinking about dropping an exercise from each routine (except legs) and maybe dropping back to 3 sets maximum per exercise??

the less is more advice is the best way to put it...

i personally don't think i'm over eating, considering i know i have very speedy metabolism.

thanks so much for your help. i'm always up for advice and criticisms

PS. do yous think i am actually eating enough?

More often than not you see a young bloke do marathon workouts like the one listed in this thread and wonder why gains stall, the reaction is to over eat.

Less is more.

Every workout is full body as far as the recovery system is concerned and most likely this person is in a continual overtrained state.
Sleep and food will not get him out of this overtrained state.

If you work hard for 30 minutes, your body requires 48hours recovery

This idiotic thinking has stopped America, Australia, England and New Zealand from winning any sort of medal at Worlds or Olympics in Weightlifting for the past 20 years, while the Russians, Bulgarians, Chinese and the Eastern Europeans clean up.

I dont mention BB, because the winner is chosen on popularity.

Last Medal to the USA was in the 70's, in a sport they once dominated.

Everyone should simply match their training to the effort they put into their recovery.

I agree with Andy that this guys program seems stupid. But to state that your body needs 48 hours to recover is simply false.

Anthony Dittilo, Dezso Ban, remember these guys Andy?

There is no "one way", but plenty progress on everyday training

Yes you are correct Markos, my statement was vague

But this fellow is not Ditillo.

The western countries problems are manifold and not just simply training philosophies.

And I'm not telling this bloke to sit on the couch and watch tv between workouts either.

If you put something into a full toolbox, ya gotta take something out.
The rest he's got to work out for himself.

What do you do on Saturday?
fair question..LOL

Tell me OP your logic in performing 19 sets for chest and only 12 for quads? Why?

I reckon I know why.

Training chest is easier and less taxing. Does this mean it requires more sets than quads?

Also on your "bit of everything day" there is no quads.

fair question..LOL

Tell me OP your logic in performing 19 sets for chest and only 12 for quads? Why?

I reckon I know why.

Training chest is easier and less taxing. Does this mean it requires more sets than quads?

Also on your "bit of everything day" there is no quads.

this is true. training chest is easier.. why i do more for my upper body is because like any young male, that's where the focus is. why i do no quads on a sunday is because i also do cycling throughout the week.

if anyone would make revisions to my current routine/diet please tell me where/how

By focusing on your quads you are inherently focusing on your upper. Yes it's true, you are actually doing yourself no good by not focusing on your quads.

Do you really want to look like an elephant on stilts?