• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thinking of getting an Apple iMac?

Ben

Whos got one?

Pros/cons?

Like/dislike?

I know a couple of people who have one, and they reckon they'll never go back.

I'm going to get a new desktop just before tax time, seriously thinking about getting a Mac.

dude personally I love macs, so easy to use and the look of them is pretty sexy. Any concerns you may have about using them are pretty much eased straight away if you get one to one, you can basically learn anything you'd like to through that service. Go have a look at an iMac and decide. They honestly give you so much desk space it's insane.

Yeah, if I get one, that's what I'll get - the iMac.

Been in and had a look in at JB HiFi, the 27" screens are probably a little overkill - hoping they bring out a 24" as an upgrade from the 21".

Macs just work with minimal hassle. It really is a breath of fresh air but for me where they come into their own is for your immediate family. You no longer have to provide any real serious tech support as they are that easy.

I think you need to use it for a while to appreciate it lol. I am still learning how to use it though I am on my phone and at work and couldn't be fucked compiling a list lol.

I think you need to use it for a while to appreciate it lol. I am still learning how to use it though I am on my phone and at work and couldn't be fucked compiling a list lol.

Daniel,

Compile a list pls. I was thinking of asking the
same question and skywalker21 got in before me.

What's so good about Apple apposed to PC's?

Thanks
Devante.

Web browsing is so easy and smooth with track pad.

Apps help with whatever you use mac for (for me its uni).

Quick as fuck boot time.

Battery life is far more superior than any PC laptop.

Smooth finishes and quality materials, there not tacky and cheap made.

Support for Apple is off the hook (had to set up my laptop on TV, spent 2hrs on the phone, most helpful as could be, also she was Australian not Indian).

No viruses.

Any issues you can trouble shoot which helps you fix issue.

Really neat layout, not crammed, simple and efficient.

Compatibility with iPhone and other Apple products is better.

These are just things I think are better, keep in mind this is after I my first Macbook I got about 6 weeks ago.

I am sure there is more to add to the list, but I ain't a pro.

Software updates are cheaper then windows
Operating system is more stable than windows
Great support from developers through app store
User interface more intuitive for new computer users, may be difficult at first for people familiar with Windows
Apple products typically just work out of the box. That is your iphone will sync with your iMac which will sync with your iTV and your Time Capsule, etc etc. Sure with other brands and Windows and even Linux, the same can be achieved, though usually with more fidling and user know how.
You can buy the iMac with support, so you can arange a meeting with your Apple store and ask what ever questions you want, face to face.
The ergonomics and fit and finish of the products are excellent.
Its still an Intel based machine so if you like to fiddle you can install Windows and or Linux on the machine too.

Cons for a mac:

1. If you're tech savvy then ease of use doesn't come into it because pc's are easy too if you have a y chromosome and are under 30.

2. macs are around 40% more expensive for the exact same machine.

3. macs dont have open source for native os.

4. macs are largely sealed, so you can't easily upgrade hardware. You need to buy a new one every few years. Apple probably thought about this during the design process.

Pro for a mac:

1. easy to use if your tech illiterate.

2. look better and are generally smaller.

3. more stable. Largely because you can do less modifications and they are not compatable with software other than those apple approves, so they are less prone to you stuffing them up (you may recall that apple banned flash on their devices for this reason). Most full on hard core geeks who use their computer for high end uses such as gaming or game development (which is more hardcore than making movies or editing graphics which is what most mac users claim as a mac plus) use pcs.

Last edited:
40% more expensive than the exact same machine?
Go find me a PC laptop that is as light, as quite, as efficient, as sleek, as quite (most PC sound like they will launch a fan out of them from how hot they get, when you do anything more than web browse) and built with as good or better quality materials...

I disagree about the upgrading part...

There's many tutorials on youtube MOST people can follow about upgrading RAM etc in Macbooks...

Also there isn't a need to upgrade...

Cousin has had his Macbook for 4yrs and is STILL as fast as when he first bought it, has never had a virus, has never had to reboot and clean system, not one hickup...

Yes it is an example. Though I have read that windows OS puts more strain on the computer than was Apple OS does, they showed all sorts of shit like how temps were 40% warmer in a PC than a Mac... I think I put that down to why Macs last longer than PC...

But then again I ain't a nerd and could be wrong...

Last edited:
I think you basically repeated what I said except your point about ram...

PC's are cheaper and less intuitive.

Macs are sexy and idiot proof.

I'm pretty sure you would void your warranty if you upgraded your ram at home on a laptop. Not sure if they still do this, but low end Macs used to have soldered vid cards. So you can't change them. The components you would upgrade would also cost a bomb because of their size (smaller = expensive, but also faster and quieter). Anyway, if you dont mind the extra weight and size and you dont wear your laptop around your neck as a fashion accessory get a pc.

Last edited:
RAM and hard drives upgrades are able to be done at home without ruining your warranty. Ram and Hard drives can be bought cheaply. And isn't the whole point of a computer to be, fast, easy to use, good to look at and very hard to break?

There are more than plenty of High end tech guys using Macs...why do you think graphic designers use Macs? Because they're powerful and the OS uses very little of the hardware to actually run so more can be utilised by the programs.

RAM and hard drives upgrades are able to be done at home without ruining your warranty. Ram and Hard drives can be bought cheaply. And isn't the whole point of a computer to be, fast, easy to use, good to look at and very hard to break?

There are more than plenty of High end tech guys using Macs...why do you think graphic designers use Macs? Because they're powerful and the OS uses very little of the hardware to actually run so more can be utilised by the programs.

Macs aren't faster. Good to look at? That's entirely auxillary to the core function of a computer. Easy yes, hard to break yes. Hard to modify, yes. Why? because Macs hate open source.

Meanwhile I think you'll find Linux is a better OS.

My uncle is a graphics designer and I asked him why people into graphics use Macs, answer, they are prettier than a pc. Lol.

Use a windows laptop on your lap it will not only burn your penis, it will send you deaf from the fans running at 4254235RPM and battery will also last less than half the time...

That was the selling point for me and all the stuff I mentioned above...

Your money. Your choice.