• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Doms, is this normal???

craze

Hello fellow ausbb members, just wondering my Doms is a weekly problem, main areas are chest/shoulders/legs (legs the worst) it comes about 12 or so hours after and lasts for 48-72 hours.

This seems more of an issue since I started a 4 day split, each bodypart is worked once per week. I found this is working better for me as i can get in and out in 1 hour and i push everything as hard as i like. Previous to this doing each bodypart 3 times or 2 times a week, i found i could not push as hard as my body is not recovered.

I eat fairly well and get good rest 8.5 hours a night i try.

Any tips on how to stop the Doms? In the legs its a killer, can hardly walk for one of the days every week.

It should get better as you adapt. However pushing yourself extremely hard will get DOMS.

For example, I normally do squat/deadlift/bench, I did squat only and a lot more reps than normal...normally I'm ok with DOMS but not this time lol :(

How long does this take to adapt? Its been about 2 months doing this 1 bodypart a week, previous to that about 12 months doing 2-3 times each bodypart (it was not as much issue then)

I guess everyone is different but if you are consistant I can't imagine much more than a month or so.

Hmmm interesting, is it linked to nutrition or vitamins?

Even having a poop getting on the toilet seat is an issue, i find the doms worse than the workout in my legs! Grrr

Nutrition and recovery have quite a bit to do with it. Sleep big and eat big.

You will be right though, everyone deals with it at one time or another.

Ok, well i hope it goes away, trying to get to sleep is not always fun, a lot of sore muscles. Always got a little DOMS, but never like this since switching to 1 bodypart a week.

Is stretching after likely to help? I always warm up (build up weights before working sets)

Two things that go against a "split" type workout is;

Frequency of an exercise and recovery between workouts.

In my experience DOMS is a result of not doing a particular exercise often enough throughout the week.
Active recovery is also an important element to reducing the severity of DOMS.

The other is actual recovery, in that every workout is full body as far as the recovery system is concerned.

Most of us are far better suited to a full-body workout, using a split template to separate body parts is nebulas at best.
If one has to or wants to use a split routine, then they would be better served thinking of that split as a workout that uses a full body set-up but also having a focus on a particular body part in the workout.

Is stretching after likely to help? I always warm up (build up weights before working sets)

Yes.

I suggest you take a while to review the physiology of training, and muscle growth from over-compensation and I think you will find the answers to all your questions.

Hi Big Tim, hence why i am a member of the forum and read various others.

I am by no means an expert, it may be tiresome for some as it is likely the same old questions being answered day in day out but i would appreciate some more information.

You would know that a lot of information contradicts itself, and since my proffession is not at all linked to fitness etc there is only so much time and knowledge i have about training.

Being a member of other forums (different hobbies) I know how this may feel but beleive me i also know how it feels helping day in day out

There is so much information out there that i need more experienced members to guide me in the appropriate direction.

Thank you all

Last edited:
i feel strange if i dont have any doms at all.. get used to it.. it will get less and less but still, as said push yourself and it will be very noticeable.

eat properly and u will recover quicker. glutamine and bcaas

Hi Big Tim, hence why i am a member of the forum and read various others.

I am by no means an expert, it may be tiresome for some as it is likely the same old questions being answered day in day out but i would appreciate some more information.

You would know that a lot of information contradicts itself, and since my proffession is not at all linked to fitness etc there is only so much time and knowledge i have about training.

Being a member of other forums (different hobbies) I know how this may feel but beleive me i also know how it feels helping day in day out

There is so much information out there that i need more experienced members to guide me in the appropriate direction.

Thank you all

sorry mate, I didn't mean to sound dismissive. What I meant was educating yourself is an important part of training. Know why you are doing things, and what you expect to gain from what you are doing.

I only get really bad DOMS after a break or when changing something up.

Some other things I've found induce DOMS badly are:
  1. Training to failure
  2. Slow eccentrics
  3. Dropsets
Basically the type of lifting people often do on bodybuilding split routines.

Some things I've found help with DOMS are:
  1. sticking to a program
  2. not training to failure
  3. no slow overcontrolled time-under-tension rubbish on the eccentric
  4. periodisation
  5. contrast baths
  6. Epsom salts
  7. eating more, in particular more meat and getting in carbs post workout.
  8. self-myofascial release (using PVC pipe roller and baseball)
  9. activate recovery - for me this consists of a light/speed day for every heavy day. Eg Monday is heavy squats, Friday is light squats, Thursday is heavy deadlift, Monday is light deadlift. If I miss the Friday light squats, I'm always much sorer over the weekendfrom the Thursday night deadlifts. But even walking helps for me.

I dont really suffer with DOMS anymore like I did when I first started training. Just keep at it youll find your body adapts and it goes away. Until then love the pain.. it's just the weakness leaving your body! ;)

If you train often you won't even notice it, but if you are only training once or twice a week you will feel the full effect.

Sometimes I get it so bad in my legs after squats I can barely walk properly for a 3-5 days, and with deadlifts and my back - not uncommon to be feeling it for 5 days after.