• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Who's had a bad experience with a Physio?

DKD

Private Dancer
Anyone had a bad experience with their Physio and punted them?

I'm considering doing it myself. Just wanted to read any problems others have had.

My ex is a physio student and thought the hamstring was where the quad was.

For the most part theyre the people who didnt get into medicine, be afraid.

Anyone had a bad experience with their Physio and punted them?

I'm considering doing it myself. Just wanted to read any problems others have had.

Yeah a lot of bad experiences. it's actually very hard to find a good one.

My wallet....it kept getting raped over and over. lol. The physio I used to go to put the hard sell on worse than a used car dealer. Got to the point where I felt really uncomfortable having to tell her, "no, I don't need to come back for another session next week, or for the next 6 weeks etc", resulted in me not going there anymore.

I've found a good remedial massage therapist, she charges $70/hr and I get my back, glutes, hamstrings, calves, quads, abductors, neck, chest and arms done. It is absolute torture, but works a treat. If I had the cash I'd go every week.

For the most part theyre the people who didnt get into medicine, be afraid.

I have no interest in medicine.

Find one that'll listen to you and not just go by the textbook. If they don't know what a foam roller is or any myofascial release techniques I'd look elsewhere. If they understand lifting and what you do, that's a bonus.

I dont think the comment about physios being the ones who didnt get into medicine is that accurate. Im a physio student and I chose it because thats what I want, I dont want medicine. Thats the same with most of the physios and physio students I know.

There are shit physios out there just like there ARE shit doctors. My physio tells me not to come back, If I have an injury I go in get some help and he tells me I can do the rest myself, or I guess he could just not like me.

Search for a sports physio, one that has something to do with a sporting club, that way you know they have an interest.

My physio is at Carindale, Brisbane, Qld, if anyone is interested in getting in contact with him, let me know and Ill post up his details.

I went through 4 physios before I found Andrew, so you do have to search around.

Every single one of my exes friends are doing physio because they failed the umat. Every.single.one.

She must hang out with a great crowed.

Havent met a single person who has had that as their reason, yet.

Although I guess people who have an interest hang out with people who have an interest and those who dont, well dont.

Don't get me started - saw physios for 15 years to rehabilitate after a major accident and ended up fixing the issues in 4 years by ditching the useless bastards and doing my own research and rehab. 15 years physio = barely able to walk 500 meters 4 years by myself = what I am doing right now which physics and doctors said I would never do again

The best physios are the ones who are/were or have worked with elite athletes - people that actually push themselves to their limits.

I have been through 5 phyios in total, and 2 of them have been fantastic - one an athlete, the other a trainer of many high profile athletes, including coaching some Commonwealth medal winners.

I suffered a bad injury deadlifting in late 2009. I presented with crippling low back pain, along with bad unilateral hip and glute pain. The first physio was diagnosed with a herniated disc, strapped up, told to give it a couple of days, get on the anti-inflams after that and, oh, I probably couldn't deadlift again.

It healed quickly. Way too quickly to be a herniated disc.
But I reinjured the spot 2 more times. After the first reinjury. Told again disc injury. After the 2nd time, I found the athletics coach physio, who was fantastic. He actually got me straight into a MRI, which confirmed the pain was not discogenic. We haven't figured out exactly what it was because we had to diagnose retrospectively (by this stage it was around 3 months after the original injury), but he worked on the actual structural weaknesses that predisposed me to injury and got me to a point where I have been able to squat and deadlift again without reinjuring myself (so far). I still get pain, and I'm still working on the factors which aggravate this, but I'm able to function and train, and I'm now getting stronger.

Along the journey, I learnt a lot about low back and hip injuries and diagnostic methods. There are a couple of gold standard tests used to diagnose low back injuries, and I was never given any of them by the original two physios. Looking back, there was one test that they could have done which would eliminated the disc as the source of pain, which I knew I would have passed with flying colours. The original physio just saw low back pain + deadlift = disc. He asked what my lifts were, and at the time, I had deadlifted 180kg in my first comp only a few months before. He thought this was amazing. This probably should have alerted me to the fact he didn't know what he was talking about.

A physio with a passion for the kind of sport that you do is the way to go.
Seeing a physio who is good with geriatric bronchitis cases won't help your sore back from deadlifts.

a payed my physio 50 bucks a throw to rub ointment on my knee after my operations, waste of time.

I dont think the comment about physios being the ones who didnt get into medicine is that accurate. Im a physio student and I chose it because thats what I want, I dont want medicine. Thats the same with most of the physios and physio students I know.

There are shit physios out there just like there ARE shit doctors. My physio tells me not to come back, If I have an injury I go in get some help and he tells me I can do the rest myself, or I guess he could just not like me.

Search for a sports physio, one that has something to do with a sporting club, that way you know they have an interest.

My physio is at Carindale, Brisbane, Qld, if anyone is interested in getting in contact with him, let me know and Ill post up his details.

I went through 4 physios before I found Andrew, so you do have to search around.

I go to school in Carindale.

Starting to get a few niggles, will ask for his details if it gets any worse.

More often than not a physio, chiro and such are useful to a point, they'll run through with a few techniques to isolate whether it's muscular or joint issues.
So don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

i am also a physio student that did physio with no intent of medicine (i actually wanted to be a rifleman in the army but im colour blind.. thanks mum!).

Yeah you get good ones and bad ones just like all professions. good builders bad builders. good lawyers bad lawyers.

My physio i use is a sports physio. Hunt around just as you would with someone building your house or representing you in court.

Physiotherapists in general are good in their advice, but tend to like to string it out over several sessions.

They're certainly better than osteos and chiros, many osteos reckon they can sense your brain fluid rhythm and from that diagnose issues, some chiros reckon they can diagnose allergies in infants by spine alignment. If I want quacks I'll go to a farm.

As others have said, a sports physiotherapist is what you need if you're serious about lifting. They'll get where you're coming from.

Physiotherapists in general are good in their advice, but tend to like to string it out over several sessions.

They're certainly better than osteos and chiros, many osteos reckon they can sense your brain fluid rhythm and from that diagnose issues, some chiros reckon they can diagnose allergies in infants by spine alignment. If I want quacks I'll go to a farm.

As others have said, a sports physiotherapist is what you need if you're serious about lifting. They'll get where you're coming from.

Haha yeah. I went to a woman once who placed her hands on my head and thought she could feel everything wrong with my body including all previous injuries. Her words was she can basically do a full body MRI scan.

she wasn't very accurate.

Don't know what sort of osteos you go to

Osteos are recognized as dr's physios are allied health.