• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Buying a Power Rack

ezza

After getting tremendously frustrated with my smith machine whilst doing squats (lifting the whole machine off the ground) I've decided to get a power rack.

Been looking around and I've come across this product POWER RACK SQUAT CAGE FREE WEIGHTS GYM 400KG RATED (eBay item 250769921479 end time 17-Feb-11 16:59:37 AEDST) : Sport as this is my first power rack I have no idea if this is a decent bargain but it's one of the cheapest I've come across and I am strapped on money (only uni student).

If anyone knows anywhere else I can look for racks or have recommendations of other racks your input is more than welcome.

Cheers

edit: Forgot to add I've got an olympic barbell and weights, I'm 5'11 and wondering if the specs of said power rack will allow me to overhead press in it, would also like to have adequate foot spacing for squats.

Last edited:
That one looks a bit thinner than the $595 MM version from Gym Direct. I'd be going with the MM rack. Stand in front of the rack, facing it, to do OH Press.

Couple of other things to consider.

If you get the MM rack, make sure your oly bar is 7 ft. The 6 ft versions you see in some places wouldn't fit in the rack.....too small to fit between the hooks.

Whichever rack you go for, make sure you've got enough clearance overhead to do Pullups.

If you want to squat or bench press from the back of the rack (off the rear posts), the rear crossbeam of the rack can cause access problems if it's in line with the rear posts and not set back.

Spending a couple more hours researching it does seem the two options are the MMPR rack from gymdirect or the ebay rack, for my price range.

I believe I'll go with the MM rack, it's couple bucks more but I do only want to have to get one, it has larger specs and is built for a 7ft oly bar which I will be using.

Reading around on here it was mentioned there's a discount on gymdirect for ausbb members?

Id look for a second hand one, I bought a second hand commercial rack for $200. Im also uni student so I know what you mean.

I got mine from a place that buys equipment off closed down gyms and fixes them up, repaints them etc, but I bought mine as is. You could look around for a place like that in NSW.

+1 with what hulk said about the cross beam at the back of the rack for squats, especially bench press. Also dont buy a rack that has those spring loaded pins, where you slide the bar rack up and down, they suck balls.

Yeh I'd definitely get a second hand one if I could only problem is there is none in Perth I can find sadly.

I'll keep browsing around though, something's bound to come up

Yeh I'd definitely get a second hand one if I could only problem is there is none in Perth I can find sadly.

I'll keep browsing around though, something's bound to come up

I just bought a lamar rack second hand in perth which has got pretty good reviews over at bb.com

Keep an eye on gumtree