• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Foam roller

pistachio

I've seen these mentioned in quite a few posts and I was wondering if anyone has used them or can fill me in on whether it is worth getting one?

Any cheap places to buy one would also be appreciated :)

Cheers

Get one.
I use mine daily. You will find them locally, check out clack rubber ect.... I paid $15 for mine.

Got one. You quickly find out that your standard foam roller is way too soft. Go to a hardware store and get 1m long 100mm PVC pipe, works heaps better.

i was thinking of using one of those pool noodles cut down.

would that be the same? their real cheap too.

The pool ones are too soft. The medical/therapeutic versions are a fair bit stiffer, they do the trick. I've only used one a few times at a gym, so can't say when/if you need to use the PVC pipes.

What exactly are they used for tho?

A PVC pipe seems a bit extreme... also, couldn't it break if you put enough load/pressure on it? Seeing as it has no give..

When I had a few sessions with a coach he'd get me to warm up on the foam roller for a few minutes before lifting. I was told to lie on my back and let the roller slide up and down between mid back and glutes, basically to loosen up those areas and make them more pliable before lifting.

Foam rolling is supposed to relieve/heal soreness created by muscle adhesions

The trick is to not rest on the effected area but roll over it.

Tennis balls are supposed to be beneficial for hard to reach areas

I gave it a crack once.
Didn't need it, as with stretching-the idea is to not need it.

Proper "exercise" is the solution.

i got the "stick" from auskb. i like it better for hitting the quads and IT band, also calves. foam roller requires more effort.
i do love my foam roller for cracking my back.

What exactly are they used for tho?

A PVC pipe seems a bit extreme... also, couldn't it break if you put enough load/pressure on it? Seeing as it has no give..

Storm water rated PVC pipe is fairly weak and may break but i would doubt it. You can get stronger rated pipe ( which i have) which you will have no hope of breaking.

If you use a foam roller after a while you will see why i say to use PVC pipe.

Just don't "start" with PVC if you're allready needing a bit to loosen up. I did and it did more harm than good. Start with foam, just get a cheapy from Clark Rubber or something as you'll find quickly that it's not dense enough. From then you can go to Bunnings or what ever and grab some PVC as it wont be too bad by that point.

I got mine from a physio supplies store.
$35-$40 for a full length, 150mm diameter one.

prices go up from there to about $80 for some fancy space age rubber/foam thing..
does the same thing.

PVC pipe is NOT for someone who hasn't tried the foam yet.

LOVE my foam roller. Upgrading to PVC pipe for hammies mainly as I just can't get enough pressure on the roller anymore.

how do you all use it?

and what is your primary reason for using one?

was at the physio the other day and he told me they were a waste of time. i'm pretty sure he's biased tho, cos from what i've heard, they are meant to help loosen up muscles etc which eliminates half the problems they charge you to fix....