• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift jack diy or alternative

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
Basically, cos I'm a lazy c*nt and get annoyed by the process of having to lift up the end of my bar to get plates on/off etc I was wondering if anyone had any tricks as to making it easier?
Do you simply roll the bar up onto a couple of bits if wood once there's the first couple on, or do you have something slightly fancier?
I know Markos has a proper one, but really, that's going a bit over the too for me lol

I just roll the bar so so the inner most plates on each end are a 5kg plate :)

that gives you about 1/2 to 1 inch of clearance for the remainder of the plates..

although if you have only one plate on each end... well harden :p

I borrowed the car jacks and cut up some thongs my dog ruined and put them on the metal so the bar isn't damaged, and I use them to put the 20's or 25's then I do the rest on the ground. But I mostly use them for removing plates 'cos when I'm fucked after some heavy deadlifts it'll take me forever.

Only thing is after some really heavy deads it can be pretty annoying shuffling back to the stands and trying to aim the bar slowly at them. I don't use them on c&J or snatches. I bring the bar onto the grass and rip 'em off and on weightlifter style.....

I'm with Hammy on this, would love to find a more convenient way of changing plates.

Adam, is your target bw exactly 77.5? Should there be more decimal points there or are you rounding down from 77.517 or up from 77.486? Without knowing the facts I'm assuming you're looking to enter the UFC's 170lb welterweight division. Have I made a brilliant deduction or fallen flat on my derrier?

I use a gadget that I made up to do this. It works really well.

If I had permission to add an attachment you could see a picture of it. I will contact the admins to see what I need to do.

I'm with Hammy on this, would love to find a more convenient way of changing plates.

Adam, is your target bw exactly 77.5? Should there be more decimal points there or are you rounding down from 77.517 or up from 77.486? Without knowing the facts I'm assuming you're looking to enter the UFC's 170lb welterweight division. Have I made a brilliant deduction or fallen flat on my derrier?

No particular reason apart from I want to be under 80kgs - even after meals :)

I got down to 74.5ish around june/july last year, and I just didn't feel as strong or energetic as I do at a heavier weight.

I use a gadget that I made up to do this. It works really well.

If I had permission to add an attachment you could see a picture of it. I will contact the admins to see what I need to do.

MODS!!!!!

If it works as well as you say it does I want in!

How much did it cost? Rough materials etc etc?

Or get a small plate like 2.5kg, roll the innermost bumper on to it and slide them off that way. Way easier imo, and I do it for putting plates on and off.

Or get a small plate like 2.5kg, roll the innermost bumper on to it and slide them off that way. Way easier imo, and I do it for putting plates on and off.

Definitely an option
For cleans and snatches i normally chuck it in the outside j hooks then unrack it when ive loaded the plates Deadlift not so much . . . Lol

For the record, we never purchased the plate loader, it was a gift from AK.

It seldom gets used in the gym, only the lazy guys. Max frowns on anyone using it

Its a must for comps though.

Even though we have so many guys pulling 200kg+ , it really doesnt get used much by the strong guys.

Graham, your training a few girls, get them something else, like a BB

For the record, we never purchased the plate loader, it was a gift from AK.

It seldom gets used in the gym, only the lazy guys. Max frowns on anyone using it

Its a must for comps though.

Even though we have so many guys pulling 200kg+ , it really doesnt get used much by the strong guys.

Graham, your training a few girls, get them something else, like a BB

It's definitely not the worst thing in the world having to lift the ends to put plates on (particularly as the girls I train are all weak lol), just thought having something simple would be handy time to time.
I bought the training bar from AK, the girls love it because they think it makes them look stronger than they are :p

Ugly and I cheated by buying some plastic coated plates as well as just the metal ones, the plastic coated plates are a little wider than the metal ones so that they sit higher and make it easier to slide on the metal ones when we're loading the bar up.

Hamburgler you always seem to need to buy shit. I realise you have ADD but youd be better off both strength wise and finance wise focusing on the basics - so would your clients.