• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Looking to gain muscular strength not size - what to do and what not ?

justMOVE

I wish to remain the same size but gain strength, what kind of exercise do i need to do?

current weight - 62 kg / 136 pounds
Age - 25 yo
Gender - Male
Height - 5' 5" / 168 cm
Body fat - 15 %
BMI - 22.5
Diet - Strict vegetarian (eggs restricted too)
level of workout experience - 2 years- mostly cardio & beginning weight training
Goal - to get stronger - to do exercises which have real life application

you're not going to find it hard staying the same size if you can't eat the main sources of protein...
if you want to get stronger do squat, deadlifts, bench, overhead press, powercleans, chins, dips etc
how much stronger you will get staying at 62 kg, i don't know

you're not going to find it hard staying the same size if you can't eat the main sources of protein...
if you want to get stronger do squat, deadlifts, bench, overhead press, powercleans, chins, dips etc
how much stronger you will get staying at 62 kg, i don't know

I dont mind if i bulk up a little, gain some weight, but my primary goal is to only get strong, would you recommend PTC 5x5 program for my goal?

Some weight gain at your size might be a good idea. If you add muscle and lose fat wouldn't that be a good thing?
markos (PTC) beginner program would be great for you. It's not 5x5 though, im pretty sure its 3x8. It is a 'sticky' in the bodybuilding sub-forum or the strength sub-forum i forget.
whatever program you choose stick with it until you see results, don't chop and change programs.

Thanks a ton! browsing through the beginner's thread. so would it be okay to do the PTC 3x8 program without increasing my calories?

That's my point. It's actually an effort to consume that much food. I've drunk 8 liters if milk over the last 2 days and lost .2kg :p

I wish to remain the same size but gain strength, what kind of exercise do i need to do?

current weight - 62 kg / 136 pounds
Age - 25 yo
Gender - Male
Height - 5' 5" / 168 cm
Body fat - 15 %
BMI - 22.5
Diet - Strict vegetarian (eggs restricted too)
level of workout experience - 2 years- mostly cardio & beginning weight training
Goal - to get stronger - to do exercises which have real life application
Well.. I'm 170cm and when I was 62kg my best lifts were

Squat
135kg x 1
130kg x 2
120kg x 5
110kg x 11
100kg x 20
60kg x 65

Front Squat
120kg x 1
100kg x 10
60kg x 30

Bench Press
95kg x 1
80kg x 5
62.5kg x 17

Military Press
67.5kg x 1
60kg x 5

Deadlift
167.5kg x 1
100kg x 20

Powerclean
85kg

PushPress
80kg

Overhead Squat
70kg x 1
62.5kg x 7

Bent Row
80kg for reps

Turkish Getup with 40kg

^ I've done that, so no reason you can't. Videos of my lifting found here: http://www.youtube.com/x1919893

Last edited:
Hit the gym and lift , your get stronger, 123..........abc

you get bigger in the kitchen mate , you get stronger holding a barbell

1. Restrict yourself to multi-joint/compound movements
2. Insure a recovery time of/between 3-5 minutes between each set
3. Perform between 3-5 repetitions per set
4. Eat enough in order to prevent weight loss
5. Make sure you have a diary if you don't already have one
6. Make use of the progressive overload system (the diary becomes a necessity here)
7. Make small increases regularly rather than large ones (even when you're feeling up to it).

That's what I could think of right now on the fly...

Fadi.

Last edited:
Fadi, say you were looking to gain strength without size (as per the OP) but also improve anaerobic conditioning. Would you recommend dropping the rest periods down? Or just doing complexes/more cardio based "finishers" at the end of workouts and on "off" days?