• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlifting after broken ankle?

gij100

Hi

Last april, i dislocated my ankle in a basketball match, but as we were short on players and it was the grand final, i popped my ankle back in and kept playing. Hurt like mad for a week or two. then in May, i broke that ankle in a very similar injury, 8 weeks in a cast.

In august i started lifting to get some strength in my body for a ski camp coming up. I think i may have got back into physical activity too soon; My ankle has now been more swollen that my left one ever since the injury (unrelated to weightlifting), and is alot blacker (burst blood vessels?)

I notice that after everytime i do deadlifts, the ankle is noticibly blacker the next day and a little bit tender. Is this a sign that i should stop deadlifting altogether or reduce the load or something?

I'd like to hear some of your experiences about lifting after broken ankles please.

extra details: I don't think my range of motion in my ankle has been greatly reduced by the injury, i havent seen my physio since i got my cast off (july)
I also squat, maybe this contributes?

thanks!

First see a good physio. I broke my ankle and was able to squat and dead no problems but each injury is different. You should be able to tell if its bad enough not to squat or dead.

As well as seeing the physio/doc/whoever etc, I would also be looking into supliments that can aid in the repair of the area such as calcium for the bones, glucosamine for the joints, fish oil etc.

; My ankle has now been more swollen that my left one ever since the injury (unrelated to weightlifting), and is alot blacker (burst blood vessels?)

your ankle has been swollen and black for months?
seriously see a doctor

Hi , thanks for your replies.

i went to see the physio yesterday, and he said (in regards to blackness/swelling) that he could've helped me if it was 6 months ago. Which is stupid because I did see him 6 months ago and all he did was ultrasound therapy to break up any remaining scar tissue

he also said that as long as the ankle flexibility wasn't messing my form, deadlifting would be ok, but lay off the heavy squats ! :mad:

As well as seeing the physio/doc/whoever etc, I would also be looking into supliments that can aid in the repair of the area such as calcium for the bones, glucosamine for the joints, fish oil etc.

Am taking joint formula, glucosamaine + chondritin, hopefully it'll help somehow.