• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lift to live vs Live to lift

BoyFromAus

Sup

so I've hit a new brickwall and I need a new force to give me back the drive. When I first started lifting, it was because I was very discontent about my lack of strength, my appearance and my lack of health / fitness.

That discontent made me go crazy and so I ate super clean, slept on the dot, lifted religiously... Hell I hardly ever had cheat meals and hardly even had a life outside lifting... I got awesome results as some of u may remember..

But now I'm very discontent about the fact that I'm content. Although I stick to my diet / workout most the time, I do have regular cheat meals.. Furthermore I do go out on friday nights for drinks / dates at the expense of skipping a workout / compromising diet and sleep..

So to all the guys who go the step further like there's no limit, what drives u??

Thanks

Last edited:
Maybe time to set some new goals and step up another level.

Or, if you're happy where you are now, why not enjoy yourself a little, as long as you keep an eye on yourself so you don't slip back to where you were before.

It's really up to what you want.

I am in a very similar situation as you lol...

Training has gone to shit, I have gotten weak as fuck, somehow I look better I think lol, struggling to eat proper solid food...

My aim is to fix shit slowly slowly I guess...

And to also re access my goals and write shit down on a paper of what I have to achieve and by when so I have something to work towards...

Hulk has hit it well. Physical training can change how you look, feel and perform.

If you are happy with your looks, you feel physically good, and you're performing as you want, then be happy and just maintain it. If you want to change any of those, then make them concrete as goals and figure out how you'll achieve them.

Just assess it methodically,
  • looks? happy with them?
  • feel? your health? any issues? remember that health is more than the absence of sickness, there's your general mood and feeling of vitality
  • performance? do any sports? how about work? could this stuff be improved by physical training?

I've been hungry for training since I started back in '06. How do I stay hungry! The constant eating keeps me hungry.

I spent a good bit of time last year experiencing a life outside of the gym. It's a wonderful thing. Life inside of it is also wonderful. You will find answers to your problems after you've done a heavy set Of deadlifts for example. You'll improve your physical and mental health....

I've recently come to a fork in the road also.

I had been training and eating consistently for a few years, until about 9 months ago when I took a break from it all. Before that I never missed meals, never ate junk, got plenty of sleep, never missed a workout unless I was bed ridden, never touched alcohol, put training and eating ahead of a social life and work.

Where did all this get me? Well, I got reasonably strong for an average lifter, was always struggling with sore knees, was never happy with my physique so I was always swinging between bulking and cutting. Most people who saw me wouldn't have guessed that I lifted or that I put so much time and effort into it. Don't get me wrong, it was a great feeling being stronger than you were last week, but deep down I was never truly happy.

I started training again about 3 months ago, but within a week of getting back into it I injured my back (stupidly) and it hasn't been the same since. My knees are still a bit dodgy, especially if I try and do low rep squats. Basically, when I try to lift heavy I end up feeling like an 80 year old man for the next week. As a 24 year old this is no fun.

So where does that leave me now? Well, I basically train for enjoyment now more than anything. I still lift regularly although it's not the end of the world if my lifts don't go up every session. I'm not forcing myself to eat huge meals every 3 hours to the minute and now I feel so much better for it, I look better and it doesn't get in the way of living my life. I train and eat to be healthy, fit and stronger than your average gym goer, but I don't let it get in the way of all the other things in life as I used to.

Last edited:
Theres a saying that get the 80% right and the 20% doesnt matter.

Being a law student everything else takes a massive second in my life including lifting. I dont have the time, finances or interest in dedicating myself totally.

I don't think this matters though because lifting x3 a week, focusing on the basics and aiming for weight progression I think I keep moving where others get lost.

In about 2-3 years I'll really sit down and see where I'm at (I'm thinking 220/140/260 by my birthday, 260/180/320 in the next two years) and look at focusing more then.

how tall are you?

what do you think you will weigh when your lifts are

260/180/320?

6'0. I weigh in the 80s now and I'm well on track with my current cycles for 220/130/250. 260/180/320 in a 2 year time frame doesnt seem like that bigger jump.

btw - as a law student roids are never an option ever. Drug charge = lifetime LPAB ban.

Last edited:
good stuff,

i didnt say it was a big jump.

look forward to seeing you progress.

Are your ultimate goals purely strength based?

Sort of. I see strength/hypertrophy as a two-in-one. Its not like a powerlifter benching 220 raw at a point where gaining another 5kg is a years work is going to have 10kg+ of muscle gain left untapped.

U can't be at your peak forever unless lifting is your profession. Its a :cool:24 hours sport and will always burn u up if u focuse on it too much. Find out the size your happy with and stick with it.you will "know" when this has happened as u get older. This is called maintenance stage.

Oliver at over 6 foot shouldn't u be like over 100kg or something?? Im 5'7 80kg 12% bf.

/insert troll post lol

When I'm outside of the gym and being rational, I lift to live. When I'm inside the gym, I feel like I live to lift. :p